The K390 Thread - Photos and Experiences

Hi Bob,

That "Under the hood" line is classic, especially for a motor head. May we use it?

I'm carrying/wearing and straight spine Stretch 2 with K390 "under the hood".

sal

Here's a couple of mine. PM2 and Endura (swapped into a GITD Zome handle). Both given a mustard forced patina, and I haven't had any rust problems after.

K390 is quickly becoming on of my overall favorite steels, it's close to surpassed CPM M4. After using K390 for a bit over 18 months now (since I got my PM2 at the 2nds sale in 2019), I am thoroughly pleased with the steel. Seems to have better edge-holding than M4, and takes a really aggressive edge with a strop. Seems to be pretty easy to sharpen too. Defitely patinas more heavily than M4.

Old pic of the PM2:

IMG_5029.jpg

These few showing the patina on the Endura, and how it catches the light.

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

A few shots of the whole knife.

IMG_7278.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7281.jpg

I prefer the K390 blade in this Zome handle. And the resulting DLC'd VG-10 knife in the dark teal handle looks pretty slick too. :cool:

IMG_7285.jpg

Hello,
anyone tried to dye the the K390 blue FRP scales? would love to see some results for an inspiration

Knife noob here about to buy first pocket knife in maybe 20 years and decided on Spyderco Delica 4 Wharncliffe K390 as my cardboard cutter and probably a Dragonfly 2 in K390 as my pocket knife. Not really an EDC type so not worth carrying anything bigger/heavier for me at least for now, the Delica will probably sit at home waiting for some packages to arrive but the Dragonfly I want to try and carry around.

I have some decent kitchen knifes that I don't want to freehand as I do my cheap knifes so I've ordered a decent sharpening system and thought I might as well get something else to sharpen ;o]

Not the biggest fan of that blue shade on all those K390s so thinking about some customizing options. Will probably get some micarta scales for the dragonfly later anyway as I think the FPR does not do the K390 a justice and I want something looking more classy in my pocket.

Hello,
anyone tried to dye the the K390 blue FRP scales? would love to see some results for an inspiration

Knife noob here about to buy first pocket knife in maybe 20 years and decided on Spyderco Delica 4 Wharncliffe K390 as my cardboard cutter and probably a Dragonfly 2 in K390 as my pocket knife. Not really an EDC type so not worth carrying anything bigger/heavier for me at least for now, the Delica will probably sit at home waiting for some packages to arrive but the Dragonfly I want to try and carry around.

I have some decent kitchen knifes that I don't want to freehand as I do my cheap knifes so I've ordered a decent sharpening system and thought I might as well get something else to sharpen ;o]

Not the biggest fan of that blue shade on all those K390s so thinking about some customizing options. Will probably get some micarta scales for the dragonfly later anyway as I think the FPR does not do the K390 a justice and I want something looking more classy in my pocket.
Welcome to BF. This is an old thread so you'll not likely get many responses.

Great choice getting a few spyders in K390 , I think you'll be pleased.

I've never dyed the blue scales but I have dyed others. The main rule to learn is that you can only dye into darker colors. The other rule is that it will probably not turn out exactly how you want, but it will probably still be cool anyway. Give it a go and have some fun.

20230719_132218.jpg
*this was supposed to be purple at the top (original color) and dark green on the bottom. Now it's just purple and darker purple, and I rather enjoy it.

Last edited:
Welcome to BF. This is an old thread so you'll not likely get many responses.

yes I am aware that I can only dye to darker color, that was kinda why I asked in the K390 thread since most of the recent Spyderco knifes with K390 have the same blue FRN so I assumed I have the best chance of asking here to see some results of dyeing that specific scale color

this is the only K390 blue FRN dyeing result I've found so far - Rit DyeMore Sapphire Blue fade (photo courtesy of Knives&Lint from the Spyderco forum)
rNvZ3aP.jpeg

Hi M4t3y,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

thanks for the welcome

Back