The K390 Thread - Photos and Experiences

BMCGear

Gold Member
Spyderco is one of the few makers capitalizing off of K390 these days. They are producing Bento Box's exclusive PM2 and Para 3 and now are offering it in the production line up.

Cypress Cypress first turned me onto K390 (his Mule Team loves to be used) and the more I'm using the steel the more I'm liking it. I thought it would be cool to have a thread dedicated to this steel.

What's your experience with K390 so far?

Police 4 LW

v65nKdAUQVYJWeBoZTko7QB1-DiFrJJVNTGh34CHC9oz-0LHWcXjzkKjo-27Rao4ISoYxSI_9AYOjHeN2qv8WmmmYQLbbX-ajs3N1xUqBuBO6-AN8FgeJJGmanmhuu-whR8_16f7B_Q=w2400

I have the following blades in K390:

PM2
Endela
Endura (on the way)
Police 4

I need a Police 4 in my life. Where can I get one in K390?

I've only got a Delica in K390 but I'm waiting for Knifecenter to fulfill my preorder for a Police 4. So far I am really enjoying K390, it held an arm-hair-shaving edge for a month of cutting through food, twigs, and a LOT of cardboard. After 5 minutes with a fine diamond plate and a strop with green compound it came back to screaming sharp. Definitely looking forward to getting my Police 4 and those extra inches of slicing power. I would be overjoyed if Sal released the Street Beat in this stuff.

My k390 Endela, pictured with a delica (not mine) and a PM2 for size comparison. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it, yet. As soon as I took it out of the box, I realized it wasn't for me - not a fan of the lightweight scales, or the backlock, on a knife this size. Nothing wrong with the knife itself, so I'm not sending it back...but, short of sticking it in my pack as a just in case knife, I'll never carry it. I suppose I could revisit rear pocket carry (but my previous experience with that wasn't great).
I might grab a k390 Delica (and one of the zome handled ones, for a swap)

Last edited:
So far, I’ve had good luck with the steel. Pretty much what everyone else has already stated about the performance of the steel. I like it and will continue to be on the lookout for more knives made with it. Here’s mine.

B854D500-E522-4043-BB02-7F948360F561.jpeg

K390 is the best steel currently available in production knives.

I bought a Mule Team 17 the minute they dropped back in the day. That knife became my go-to kitchen beater. It’s seen more abuse than any knife I’ve owned and it’s still going strong, even though I’ve had to thin the blade behind the edge a few times. Because of how well the Mule treated me, I jumped on the K390 PM2 and haven’t looked back. It’s my EDC when I’m not at work, and I genuinely can’t envision what would replace it.

Back