The Kirby Lambert Crossroads

Took the Crossroads apart just know, a couple little observations:
- It's a good thing they went with such a large Torx for the Pivot, I honestly don't particularly like Ti Hardware, feels subjectively more fragile (No Loctite at least)
- Finnicky to disassemble and assemble (KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE LANYARD PIN!)
- They should have sunk the interior screws from the other side, so you could easier stack the floating backspacer back together (A toothpick helps to slide things into place if need be)
-> Worth to disassemble in my opinion, with more oil and less grease for lube it runs even better

- It's a good thing they went with such a large Torx for the Pivot, I honestly don't particularly like Ti Hardware, feels subjectively more fragile (No Loctite at least)
- They should have sunk the interior screws from the other side, so you could easier stack the floating backspacer back together (A toothpick helps to slide things into place if need be)
-> Worth to disassemble in my opinion, with more oil and less grease for lube it runs even better

Thanks for that b00n. I've only looked at one for a few minutes as there have been so many new knives coming out it's getting hard for me to keep up with them all.

I've asked Reate a number of times to stop using grease and go with Nano Oil or something similar. I even said to Liong Mah that he should do the same thing after I had to take apart one of his knives and found it was greased instead of oiled. He was under the impression that Reate were using oil on his knives - they are not......

If you want a Crossroads you should check out Knife Center Black Friday deal. G10 version going for 319

Thanks for that b00n. I've only looked at one for a few minutes as there have been so many new knives coming out it's getting hard for me to keep up with them all.

I've asked Reate a number of times to stop using grease and go with Nano Oil or something similar. I even said to Liong Mah that he should do the same thing after I had to take apart one of his knives and found it was greased instead of oiled. He was under the impression that Reate were using oil on his knives - they are not......

One reason I could see why they used it in the past could be due to using Stainless Steel Bearings (until they switched to Ceramic) which does make some sense. We grease all of your bearings instead of oiling them, but that's in industrial application, it has more longevity. It might be due to the thinking that few people disassemble their (high end) knives.

One reason I could see why they used it in the past could be due to using Stainless Steel Bearings (until they switched to Ceramic) which does make some sense. We grease all of your bearings instead of oiling them, but that's in industrial application, it has more longevity. It might be due to the thinking that few people disassemble their (high end) knives.

Plus it's easier for the assembly line to slap on some grease and not have to worry about it dripping out. But for a USD$300 plus knife (especially with Damasteel blades) a small thing like top of the line lubricant is a very small addition.

I'm happy they finally went with M390 steel over RWL34. I had a number of conversations with David Deng on that issue. I'll keep pushing on the lubricant change as well.

Thank you for write up. Mine is like a guillotine after the blade clears the detent.

My baby machine needs oiling.

Back