Off Topic The liner lock on my knife keeps going too far, I can push it back but it keeps happening.

Heck, Sams club online you can get two Rat I's for $32, one partially serrated and one without serrations.

Last edited:
I'll give you my thoughts OP. I'm no expert. If you put what I know about knives onto paper and compare it with ANYONE ELSE here on bladeforums, I would bet thousands of dollars that their knowledge of knives FAR EXCEEDS mine. I'm certain of it actually. You may know more than me and I'd place bets on that too. haha But I'll give my opinion on Tac Force with my experiences.

My first knife was actually a Tac Force. Probably even my second and third knives as well, to be honest. It's been well over 5 years since my first, second, and third knives, again, all Tac Force. Now, my knife "collection" has grown, I only buy knives made by "good quality brands."

Well, 5 years ago, they were ALL the knives I had. Three Tac Force knives. They looked good to me (back then. Now I find them ugly... all of them), they were sharp as hell in my opinion (back then), I always assumed they were super lightweight because they seemed light in hand and were the same size as a few "name-brand" knives I've seen online that had a light weight. I figured that if the Spyderco Delica, for example was the same size as my Tac Force, they must surely be the same weight. Wrong. But anyway, I would use them for EVERYTHING. I would literally search the house everyday for stuff to cut. I'd find fallen sticks and whittle away all the time. I actually thought these things held an edge. I cannot sharpen either so you can imagine how crappy that edge looked and me being clueless thought it was still how it was supposed to be. LOL!

I bought a Spyderco "Tenay-nay" Tenacious (thats what my gf calls the Tenacious... no clue why.) and I noticed where all that money went into on the knife. Well,.... you know what I mean. I realized immediately.. IMMEDIATELY why one cost $2-$15 and why the other was $50. The liner lock was THICK. It had this strange "spine ramp"... I didn't even realize it was there. It just sort of fit and I never realized it for quite some time. The jimping was "flawless", the polish was pretty, the handles were smooth but grippy, the blade had wings and flew like my spring assist knives but its manual. Lanyard hole, rounded off edges for the most part, etc. And now, I learned it gets better and better and better. Just have to either 1) pay more 2) search harder to get better knife for your money.

Search online for good knife recommendations in your price range. Take down a list of the brands you like or are recommended and find yourself something special. It doesn't have to be expensive to work. But I believe there is a certain price that has to be payed to get one that works well and lasts the way it wants you too. If you had $50 on your person right now, you could SURELY find at least 20-30 knives that would last you a lifetime. Narrow that list down to the ones you like most.

Here are a few knives I could go out and buy with $50. I recommend all of them.

Buck 119 (fixed blade), 110 (folding), 102 (fixed blade)
Spyderco Resilience, Tenacious, Ambitious, Persistence, Efficient, Ladybug, Manbug (all folders)
Ontario Rat 1, 2 (folders)
Kershaw Skyline, Link (folders)
Morakniv Robust, Companion, and many many many more (fixed blades)
Opinel many sizes to choose from

And finally: Don't let others opinions sway yours too much. Only you know what works for you. Tac Force, at the end of the day, still makes a knife and it is sold to be used. However, you won't know if you like it better than other brands until you try. Maybe you don't use your knife often? The Tac Force will last you, fit your hand, maybe even look perfect to you. That is all that matters at the end of the day. If you aren't doing much with it, would you really need a better knife? Not really. But if you really like to fidget with it and/or "play" with it all the time or use it for work, etc, I recommend an upgrade. Plus, I'd love to see some awesome photos of your new knives!!! Post them!!! Post your Tac Force too! If we see the Liner Lock someone may have a better idea as to what can be done, if anything.

A lock means safety. Not something to experiment or play with. Dispose of that knife in a safe manner that will keep others from getting hurt then get a new knife that you know will be safe enough to keep your fingers intact.

A screw? How did that fix a late lock up? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding ya?
He just meant the other guys screw was loose and figured he could rig it to be "safe enough"...

Your fingers man, not mine... It might be hard to type when missing some. Just giving you a heads up.

Throw your knife away. Then upgrade to the Ontario Rat 1 liner locking knife. This will get you into high value, quality made knives. This is a good knife/standard to compare others to as far as fit and function and not pay a lot. Then, the next thing you know, you will be saving up for something like a Sebenza a year from now.

Last edited:
I ended up fixing it, I know someone with the right screw

OP might be meaning that one of the body screws or the pivot screw was loose or stripped allowing the blade tang to get out of alignment. My sister bought herself one of these to use on the horse farm where she works. I see it now and then for cleaning and sharpening. The blade on hers is off center but the lockup has... surprisingly... stayed close to its original position when new. The thing doesn't sharpen worth snot but every time she brings it I check the lockup on it and it's still "effective" as a liner lock. I won't say "solid", but it is effective.

Still, Samfisher7ef, I agree with everyone here who has recommended retiring this one and investing in one that's made by people who know what they're doing. When this one does fail, it could be very seriously dangerous and it will likely be without warning.

"Piece of crap" / Junk ? /Not worth it /It will bite you / replace it / get a this or that/ Here is MY life story / Why bother?...

I get it fellas but a full page of this, and NOT ONE MEMBER offered to try to help.
The "fix" for his knife would be the same if it were an 800.00 knife or a 10.00 knife.

Why not try to help him figure out WHY it failed? Mechanically they are ALL the same.

Sorry if this/I have a troll feel. There's too many members here to turn away a fellow enthuiest.
I'm finding the best advice on this forum is from the quite fellas that just ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Quote:
"

A screw? How did that fix a late lock up? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding ya?"

He needed a Torx bit to fix his POS knife.
Good work guys!

That's a given sir...

Truthfully, I have a TacForce Speedster in stainless, and it is my fidget knife. Bought ten of them for re-sale at 2.70@
It's the sweetest sounding C...lick! I have.
Need to open a coffee cup? I'm there w/ my China crap to get the job done for ya!
Need to baton a Sequoia?
Get Jimmy... He has a BenchMade...

"Piece of crap" / Junk ? /Not worth it /It will bite you / replace it / get a this or that/ Here is MY life story / Why bother?...

I get it fellas but a full page of this, and NOT ONE MEMBER offered to try to help.
The "fix" for his knife would be the same if it were an 800.00 knife or a 10.00 knife.

Why not try to help him figure out WHY it failed? Mechanically they are ALL the same.

Sorry if this/I have a troll feel. There's too many members here to turn away a fellow enthuiest.
I'm finding the best advice on this forum is from the quite fellas that just ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Quote:
"

A screw? How did that fix a late lock up? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding ya?"

Good work guys!
Nice, all this talk to defend him and negate us, just for you to call his knife a "POS"...

The resin we suggested other knives, such as the Byrd line, and other knives less than $40, is because as a knife enthusiast, we care for their safety over their wallet...

I don't care if you spend $5 or $5000, if a knife is unsafe, I will suggest something that isn't. I don't care if you are a fan, cheap, filthy rich, or just uninformed. If you come here with a question that relates to an unsafe knife, expect to hear that it is an unsafe knife.

If just so happens that this unsafe knife is also a POS, as you so eloquently put it.

I was using familiar language. (POS knife)
Did you not read the part where I own one, and enjoy it for what it is? It's one of my favorite POS-s

It's no more unsafe than any other knife.
Watch 200 "quality" knife reviews on UTube, and my bet is you'll see at least 100 band-aids
To me that's 50% of the reviewers slicing themselves up on "Safe" knives

The hype has to stop.
Help the kid, and THEN explain popular opinion.

No disrespect guys. None meant at all. It's just that SOOOOOOOOO many threads here are the same or worse.
Real information is very difficult to find.

No disrespect guys. None meant at all. It's just that SOOOOOOOOO many threads here are the same or worse.
Real information is very difficult to find.
Exactly.
There is a reason that all of the threads about Tac Force and other low end knives say that they are unsafe.

Thanks for agreeing.

Quote:
"

Good work guys!
I asked him for a picture of it, because I may have a part for it so he could fix it.
I may have called it a piece of crap because I know it is, but if he loves it I would've tried to help him out if it turned out I had a part for it ( I've had about 10 that have fell apart and my brother has a couple dozen broken ones laying around )

Sorry guys...
I didn't mean to offend.
I have thousands of posts on a half dozen forums so ALL I was trying to do is ground people, and remind them that they are supposed to be open minded, and helpful.

It's too easy to follow the pack, and accidentally run off a cliff.
I do apologize if I offended anyone.

Quote:
"

Good work guys!

All due respect, but did you read the entire thread?

The first two responses asked for more information on what the problem and what knife it was. Only the latter was offered.

Even without further info or pictures of the issue there are two posts on the first page that attempt to address what could be the problem, Post # 7 and Post # 8.

The rest of the posters gave sound advice based on the info, or lack there of, that the OP posted.

Sometimes the best solution is to "throw it in the gutta and go buy anotha".

Last edited:
"throw it in the gutta and go buy anotha".

LoL...
Yes I did read it all. There were a couple helpful posts.

I think what got me is the OP had no chance to learn anything nor does anyone else that searches that thread for a similar issue.

I spent the entire day trying to get one simple answer to one simple question (on another thread/forum), and perhaps 20 replies later... I'm dumber for asking. My brain has been downsized.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong sub forums...

Edit:
Perhaps it would be easier to place a Sticky...
Don't bother asking about these ".................." brands.
That's how this "felt"

Last edited:
Back