Off Topic The liner lock on my knife keeps going too far, I can push it back but it keeps happening.

"Piece of crap" / Junk ? /Not worth it /It will bite you / replace it / get a this or that/ Here is MY life story / Why bother?...

I get it fellas but a full page of this, and NOT ONE MEMBER offered to try to help.
The "fix" for his knife would be the same if it were an 800.00 knife or a 10.00 knife.

Why not try to help him figure out WHY it failed? Mechanically they are ALL the same.

Sorry if this/I have a troll feel. There's too many members here to turn away a fellow enthuiest.
I'm finding the best advice on this forum is from the quite fellas that just ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Quote:
"

I ended up fixing it, I know someone with the right screw
A screw? How did that fix a late lock up? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding ya?"

He needed a Torx bit to fix his POS knife.
Good work guys!

you didnt read all the posts. i did give him advice on what might fix it, including tightening screws. relax, folks were trying to help and getting rid of a cheap knife told by its owner to have unsafe lockup isnt bad advice. after all they are trying to protect someone who doesnt know enough on the subject or they wouldnt ask.

That Can't be true... Quality knives don't just fall apart like that!
;):rolleyes:
I know the screws never fall out, and they never strip out when you try to tighten the. They're also always the exact same properly sized torx screws, and are never a Hodge podge of different sizes.;);)

LoL...
Yes I did read it all. There were a couple helpful posts.

I think what got me is the OP had no chance to learn anything nor does anyone else that searches that thread for a similar issue.

I spent the entire day trying to get one simple answer to one simple question (on another thread/forum), and perhaps 20 replies later... I'm dumber for asking. My brain has been downsized.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong sub forums...

Edit:
Perhaps it would be easier to place a Sticky...
Don't bother asking about these ".................." brands.
That's how this "felt"

A couple of posts offering advice at the problem at hand (taking a stab in the dark at it with the limited info provided) and others suggesting that he either just buy another one or perhaps upgrading to a similar or ever so slightly higher priced item that will actually move them up to a quality knife with a company that will back their product. All on topic and pointing the OP (or anyone that searches the topic regarding TacForce) to a better direction. Not sure what else you expected or can be expected from a forum with a bunch of knife nuts.

"Piece of crap" / Junk ? /Not worth it /It will bite you / replace it / get a this or that/ Here is MY life story / Why bother?...

I get it fellas but a full page of this, and NOT ONE MEMBER offered to try to help.
The "fix" for his knife would be the same if it were an 800.00 knife or a 10.00 knife.

Why not try to help him figure out WHY it failed? Mechanically they are ALL the same.

Sorry if this/I have a troll feel. There's too many members here to turn away a fellow enthuiest.
I'm finding the best advice on this forum is from the quite fellas that just ANSWER THE QUESTION!

Quote:
"

I ended up fixing it, I know someone with the right screw
A screw? How did that fix a late lock up? Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding ya?"

He needed a Torx bit to fix his POS knife.
Good work guys!
Replacing a piece of crap knife with a faulty lock is cheaper than the "fix" of a screw and screw driver. That screw will come loose again, hopefully the user finds out without stitches first. He asked advise from a forum of knife lovers. Yes, I will tell the guy to replace a 10 dollar knife that is broken....thats what you get for 10 dollars (they make their money on people replacing their crap knives with new crap knives. Thats the market, which you hopefully grow out of if your on bladeforums)

Last edited:
Use purple or blue loctite. Should help it from undoing.

But yea get a better knife. Ontario rat in d2 steel is great. Aus8 version is cheaper but also softer and won't hold an edge as long but still fine for most folks, and far better than the op knife

I was hoping the OP would have listened to 90% of the good advice given......toss it.
If that lock bar is coming into contact with the opposite liner, that knife is no longer any kind of safe.
It probably wasn't any kind of safe out of the box.
No snubs meant from anyone. Just good sound advice from knife knuts who have the scars, and experience, to give said advice.
I wouldn't want one of my sons using that knife.
Joe

I agree. For sure it's not helpful to tell someone something nice about a knife that is potentially dangerous to them. Even someone's mother should not put feelings above safety.

vo18s.jpg

Sorry guys, I did not mean to be disrespectful.
Perhaps I mis-understood the point you all were trying to make

Last edited:
Rat 1 or 2 A bunch of Kershaw's and CRKT's You can also get 30-40 dollar knives on that big reseller's site for 15-20 bucks slightly used. Just make sure you stick to the better manufacturers That have been listed for you here. There is also a company called Ruike that have some great knives between 25-45 bucks. Always check YouTube for info before you buy. Anything decent will probably have a couple of reviews. Stay away from the clones and copies. They are a crapshoot. I would say only buy American but at that price even the one's from American companies are made in china. If you stick to the better brands they are mostly warranted for the life of the knife. I was trying to clean a Buck Nobleman $20 knife. My hands were a little shaky that night and I lost one of the scale screws and the pivot screw, I called them and they told me that because the don't
make them here as the blood was rushing to my head she proceeded to tell me that I should send mine back and they would ship me a brand new one. That is why you deal with reputable companies, They back their stuff. Real knife collectors like many of us here have gone through the crappy knife phase and have come out the other end. Join us and get something good. There is the Spyderco tenacious and the Spyderco Byrd line
That is the value line from Spyderco. Have fun shopping

I asked him for a picture of it, because I may have a part for it so he could fix it.
I may have called it a piece of crap because I know it is, but if he loves it I would've tried to help him out if it turned out I had a part for it ( I've had about 10 that have fell apart and my brother has a couple dozen broken ones laying around )

I asked him for a picture too but Zombie wants me too look stupid so he says I didn't answer the question despite NOT knowing how to answer it? Wheres his answer?

By the time I found the thread the OP had fixed it himself.
I ran thru the posts to find that.

On my first days as a member I posted a thread about tempering a peened liner lock, and I was looking to share the information members had graciously given me in this thread.

So the short of it is, when I asked a near identical question I received a direct, and informative answer.
No one told me to throw my vintage Rough Rider away.
Yes it is a bottom line knife, and yes it is hardly worth the effort to repair BUT it is experience that dictates these terms.
I LEARNED something with my post, and its replies.

That Tac force fella might not want to post again... but he could have learned (as suggested in the replies) that Peening IS an option, and how to do it properly.
That one repair may have began a career in knife smithing.

I know you all had no way of knowing my thoughts or experiences so I apologized, and I hope it is accepted.

Edit:
I never intended nor did I call anyone "stupid" . It was just perceived that way, therefore I apologize directly to you as well sir.

By the time I found the thread the OP had fixed it himself.
I ran thru the posts to find that.

On my first days as a member I posted a thread about tempering a peened liner lock, and I was looking to share the information members had graciously given me in this thread.

So the short of it is, when I asked a near identical question I received a direct, and informative answer.
No one told me to throw my vintage Rough Rider away.
Yes it is a bottom line knife, and yes it is hardly worth the effort to repair BUT it is experience that dictates these terms.
I LEARNED something with my post, and its replies.

That Tac force fella might not want to post again... but he could have learned (as suggested in the replies) that Peening IS an option, and how to do it properly.
That one repair may have began a career in knife smithing.

I know you all had no way of knowing my thoughts or experiences so I apologized, and I hope it is accepted.

Edit:
I never intended nor did I call anyone "stupid" . It was just perceived that way, therefore I apologize directly to you as well sir.

I don't know what peening is. I'm the stupid one lol I'm just saying, SOME OF US (me), don't know the answers so we just give our input on the subject. Even I said that if it works for him, keep it. Everyone's going to have opinions, I don't think he'll run away. A whole lot of people thinks that he should get a new one, some think whatever floats his boat is enough, some know how to repair knives, some are trolls. My first three knives were Tac Force. No shame. If OP learns anything, it's that people have opinions and that Blade Forums is packed with good people.

and I know you meant no harm lol my apologies for coming off all crappy :p

Back