The Martial Artist's Katana

This is a very enjoyable and educational thread. I hope to see more insightful info.
Right now, I'm a sword info sponge.:eek::)

I just looked at Howard Clark's website and did a little reading about him. Wish I had a winning lottery ticket!!!!

Last edited:
Why are the Hanwei L6 blades all of the 40+" lengths and the Elite so significantly shorter?

I just looked at Howard Clark's website and did a little reading about him. Wish I had a winning lottery ticket!!!!

The blade length on the L6 blades are all 29"....the Preying Mantis has an 11" tsuka, and the Oni has a 13" tsuka...this roughly corresponds to Elite blades???:confused:

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Call it lack of sleep from eating some undercooked enchiladas, a long night on the throne and then a 7 hour drive. Painfull day.
I thought that it said that the blade length was some 40" or so but I obviously read that wrong (it was the overall length, I should have paid better attention). I was looking at the overall length vs the blade length and was thinking that the length didn't look right, obviously my eyes weren't looking right!

STeven Garsson i do'nt often come into this section but i really enjoy your knowledge & the manner in which you comminicate. in the 70s i did some reading on the japanese sword & had most of don drapers books along with an extensive collection of weapons & methods manuals probably out of print at this time. many people probably do'nt realize the art in which you study is really a lifetime pursuit.the way of the sword as well as other similar pursuits bring true initates a life of supra-conscious. allowing at times the heightened state of za shen [the eyes of god]. certainly you realize an enlightment that allows great dimension to your existance.
dennis

Tops, simply tops, thank you STeve. G..

" Before digging, first know if you wish dirt, or a hole.."
- Old samurai Maxim

STeven Garsson i do'nt often come into this section but i really enjoy your knowledge & the manner in which you comminicate....... many people probably do'nt realize the art in which you study is really a lifetime pursuit.the way of the sword as well as other similar pursuits bring true initates a life of supra-conscious. allowing at times the heightened state of za shen [the eyes of god]. certainly you realize an enlightment that allows great dimension to your existance.
dennis

When one really studies the sword, it, as in many other disciplines(tai chi, cha-do, ikebana, yoga, mountain climbing...) requires concentration, sincerity and devotion.

When you begin to crack the shell of the "external" you realize the horrible and sublime consequences of every action you take. I still struggle mightily with the ramifications...but also believe in G_d and feel his hand guiding me, for whatever reason.

My style of Iai heiho is dedicated to understanding and wielding the sword, not dancing with it...we are cutters, and we do kenjutsu as well...this is uncommon for the iaidoka of Warner and Draeger's era, even in Japan.

Thank you for the kind comments, and I just finished up on post #17.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Steven,

Thanks for your take on The Martial Artist's Katana. At one time I considered getting a newly-made authentic Japanese katana, but then as I learned to do a little polishing -- particularly hybrid polishing on my own swords -- I came to realize that constant cutting not only wears away at the polish, but if you don't immediately take care of your katana by wiping it down after you finish cutting, you'll get some water stains that may or may not come off even if you use something like Pikal.

I've used a gunto, Swordstore.com steel iaito (the iai-yo and batto-do models), as well as an old rusty Koto blade that I polished-up.

I've learned that from a performance perspective, the L6 is definitely the best out there. I know that Howard Clark is one of the most well-known makers of the L6 katana, but I've found that the ones produced by martialartswords.com are just as good. They may not be as asthetically pleasing as Howard Clark's L6s, but performance-wise they are exactly the same. I've probaby done about 150 total cuts with my L6 and it's about time to give it a slight polish to liven-up the edge just a bit.

From a martial artist perspective though, I do agree that my katana needs to be a tool first, and a safe tool at that. We've never had an accident in our dojo other than bent blades during tameshigiri, and in the two taikai I've attended over the past few years I've never witnessed a blade failure. But foremost in my mind are always using a sword that is reliable from a performance standpoint, but is also predictable from a safety standpoint.

Cheers!
Jay

Jay,

Thanks so much for becoming a member of BladeForums, and for making this your first post. I am truly honored!

The information about martialartswords.com is very much appreciated. As the fittings are not available in steel and the habaki is not copper as I require, would have to get a shira saya model which would bear looking into.

Recently picked up a Tiger Elite from CAS that has pretty good geometry and cuts fairly well, but I need a little more time with it to decide for sure. Right now, I am really digging the balance and feel.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Always a fascinating area for any steel junkie, thanks for all the info although I must confess I got lost with all the terminology. It helps to have a glossary by your side when reading through these posts. :D

What I would like to know is do you feel the effort and training that goes into mastering the sword is worth it? I only ask this because it would appear that swordsmanship is something an archiac art, much like archery or caber tossing for that matter.

What I mean is, you wouldnt feasibly carry a traditional sword in today's world. Even if you intended to use it merely for home defence, it's utility in confined spaces must be limited.

Surely your efforts would be better spent on a more practical edged weapon discipline, like kali or something similar?

At least that way if you were ever forced to use an edged weapon to defend yourself, your skills would have real, hands-on practical applications.

Or do you engage in it purely as a form of self-expression and for the love of the artform itself?

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the subject. :thumbup:

What I would like to know is do you feel the effort and training that goes into mastering the sword is worth it? I only ask this because it would appear that swordsmanship is something an archiac art, much like archery or caber tossing for that matter.

What I mean is, you wouldnt feasibly carry a traditional sword in today's world. Even if you intended to use it merely for home defence, it's utility in confined spaces must be limited.

Surely your efforts would be better spent on a more practical edged weapon discipline, like kali or something similar?

At least that way if you were ever forced to use an edged weapon to defend yourself, your skills would have real, hands-on practical applications.

First of all, I started studying to improve my character(thought it would be better than anger management classes, and hey, it is, and works!) and would be cool to study a "gentlemanly art". It is a bit of exercise for the body and a LOT of exercise for the brain.

Training drives home the physical(distance, timing and speed, balance, strength usage(less required than you think, and discipline(sitting in seiza for extended periods of time)) AND the mental-how much force is required?, respect, honor, loyalty and sincerity......

Now, I have familiarity with ASP collapsible batons, and if carried in the waistband, they can be deployed with frightening speed and accuracy using techniques practiced in my form of Iai....for starters.....I cannot and would not even begin to tell you how truly "practical" this form of sogo bujutsu(complete martial art) is, you would have to see it for yourself.

All that I can say is that EVERY martial arts style has strengths and weaknesses....the ones that ignore mental strength and improvement are, imo, some of the weakest.....sweep the leg, Daniel.;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Rock on.....

I lift weights myself and I find its an excellent stress reliever and obviously has many other spin-off benefits.

I have no doubt in my mind that a Japanese sword (or any sword for that matter) is a devastating weapon in its own right but given its size its a challenge to have it on you at all times. Even a knife the size of a bowie is a challenge to carry concealed.

But certainly 'martial arts' is a highly complex discipline that involves a lot more than just learning how to defend yourself from an attack.

Excuse the banal nature of my next question, but what did you think of the film 'The Last Samurai'? Was it a fairly accurate depiction of the culture and lifestyle of the Samurai do you think or a lot of Hollywood BS?

It certainly was nice to look at and I really enjoyed the scenes in the villages and the training regimes with the bokken.

First of all, I started studying to improved my character(thought it would be better than anger management classes, and hey, it is, and works!) and would be cool to study a "gentlemanly art". It is a bit of exercise for the body and a LOT of exercise for the brain.

Training drives home the physical(distance, timing and speed, balance, strength usage(less required than you think, and discipline(sitting in seiza for extended periods of time)) AND the mental-how much force is required?, respect, honor, loyalty and sincerity......

Now, I have familiarity with ASP collapsible batons, and if carried in the waistband, they can be deployed with frightening speed and accuracy using techniques practiced in my form of Iai....for starters.....I cannot and would not even begin to tell you how truly "practical" this form of sogo bujutsu(complete martial art) is, you would have to see it for yourself.

All that I can say is that EVERY martial arts style has strengths and weaknesses....the ones that ignore mental strength and improvement are, imo, some of the weakest.....sweep the leg, Daniel.;)

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I didnt mean it in a derogatory sense, what I was getting at is that its an ancient skill. Still practised as a very tangible part of Japanese culture, yes indeed, but not for the purpose of actual warfare.

........I wouldn't really classify archery as "archaic":)

while sword arts are pretty much archiac- I think the bow does still have alot to offer. I'm tyring to not paint with a broad brush.
Yes, different aspects of sword arts can be bought to use in modern times.
Maybe is just me geographic location, but hunting with a bow is still common an very popular. Be it a trditional or new compound bow I think because of it having a decent range and fairly silent, I see no reason for it not to be used in modern times.
That being said, the study of kyudo is a very stylized art.
But thats another topic:)

I didn't take you post with a deragatory tone:)

Back