The most useful knife I own: Pioneer X

For me its the Small Tinker !!! :D
And a Cadet X would be GREAT!!!:p
John
I did a thread on the Cadet X on the Multitool subforum not long ago. There you will find a link to request products from Victorinox. Please contact them and request the Cadet X so we can all be happy.

I made that same discovery a longtime ago, but ignored it because I was in the grip of the obsession of being a knife nut. Nowadays I've backed way off from knife nuttiness and a SAK of some kind is my sole EDC. It varies a little day to day between a few models of Victorinox, but I'm totally SAK now. Most the others have been sold off/given away. A few kept just for sentimental reasons.

A SAK will serve as your knife as well as tighten a screw, open a can, bore a hole, help repair a very wide variety of things. I've used a SAK to fix a conked out motor scooter on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere, fix a electric trolling motor at their end of a long and winding lake saving a long paddle home, a clothes drier door latch, a poorly adjusted carburetor on a rental scooter on vacation in Key West, and take apart and clean the gunk from a fishing reel on the bank of the river. A dedicated knife is just a one trick pony, but a SAK is a pocket size bundle of solutions to life little problems that pop up unexpectedly. No other pocket knife will do what a SAK can. I halfway regret the years I wasted with all those 'other' knives.

I do not regret the other knives because I am a knife nut. However, I do think that sometimes I made some foolish choices. I have come to realize that a SAK is really the best thing I can have with me, day to day, unless I want to carry something "purdy".

The SAK is really a multi-tool and I really think it should be called a SAT.

I don't regret the other knives either. Hell, I just bought a LionSteel BestMan model. The one blade model I have is a real nice modernized slip joint. Do you actually think I need this new knife? The one observation I have made with slip joints is that I am buying smaller ones now over the 4"- 4.25" size I used to favor.

While living overseas, I got by with just one EDC knife, a Victorinox Spartan, over a 10-year period. It pretty much handled everything I needed a pocketknife/pocket tool for.

For the past 20 years now, I've EDC'd a Victorinox Executive, which handles my 'finer' needs, and either. Vic Spartan or Pioneer in another pocket. I often choose the Spartan over the Pioneer, though, because I carry my eyeglass screwdriver (which gets a good amount of use) in the Spartan's corkscrew. But I find the Exec and on of the others covers most bases for me.

I also own a Pioneer X, but find if I need scissors, my Exec covers that well enough for me, along with its other features. If the mine-screwdriver could somehow be stored in the Pioneer, then that, combined with the Exec, would make the perfect EDC combination, IMO.

I also almost always carry some sort of OHO, clip-carry knife, but two SAKs are always with me, anywhere a knife is permissible to carry, and they get a lot of use. If I absolutely had to pick only one brand/type of knife I could carry, it would be my Vic SAKs.

Jim

Last edited:
I am certain a Cadet X would sell and be coveted by those that bought them ... excellent idea DocT and halden.doerge!!!

I have been hoping the folks a Victorinox would replace the tooth pic and tweezer with nuclear control rods in the event I get thrust into a MacGyver like moment during a terrorist attack on one of the world's reactors. I can also see it in a co-starring role along with a roll of duct tape in a future disaster movie yet to be written.

Yes, over on the Multitools subforum I have a discussion of this very thing and a link to make this request of Victorinox. Please contact them and ask them to make the Cadet X.

Will do! :thumbsup:

-A SAK will serve as your knife as well as " " " "
-Sounds like a great idea for a thread, 'What have you used your SAK for in the past, perhaps including today ?' (Ofcourse it may have been previously done.)
-It sounds like it really saved the day on a number of occasions!
:thumbsup:
Yes, over on the Multitools subforum I have a discussion of this very thing and a link to make this request of Victorinox. Please contact them and ask them to make the Cadet X.
:thumbsup:

I am certain a Cadet X would sell and be coveted by those that bought them ... excellent idea DocT and halden.doerge!!!

I have been hoping the folks a Victorinox would replace the tooth pic and tweezer with nuclear control rods in the event I get thrust into a MacGyver like moment during a terrorist attack on one of the world's reactors. I can also see it in a co-starring role along with a roll of duct tape in a future disaster movie yet to be written.

Well, you can replace the toothpick with a ferro-rod fire starter! That's almost as good. :D

I made that same discovery a longtime ago, but ignored it because I was in the grip of the obsession of being a knife nut....
Aahhh, obsessions. Yes, I know about those. I don't think a person who visits a gun show and walks out with 5 new guns can't ignore that they are obsessed. The same kind of thing happens with knives but generally at lower cost. I have toned it down considerably.

Last edited:
SAT? Swiss Army Tool? or something else?
Swiss Army Tool, yes.

In many places around the world they classify Vics as multitools, which they are, and I think it is more accurate and less threatening in the modern world.

Well, you can replace the toothpick with a ferro-rod fire starter! That's almost as good. :D
You must be reading my mind. I've been using flint since my brother showed me how years ago after he was playing the part of a fur trapper during a winter camp out with some scouts complete with sleeping in a dug out snow cave in very sub-zero here in Minnesota. As old age keeps sneaking up on me I have been looking at ferro-rods. Sadly, I cannot remember which one I saw in a video comparison that looked to be superior to the rest of those tested and I cannot remember what site I was on watching the video. One bit of advice to all you younger guys ... take notes and don't forget where you put your note.

You must be reading my mind. I've been using flint since my brother showed me how years ago after he was playing the part of a fur trapper during a winter camp out with some scouts complete with sleeping in a dug out snow cave in very sub-zero here in Minnesota. As old age keeps sneaking up on me I have been looking at ferro-rods. Sadly, I cannot remember which one I saw in a video comparison that looked to be superior to the rest of those tested and I cannot remember what site I was on watching the video. One bit of advice to all you younger guys ... take notes and don't forget where you put your note.

Edison is reported to have said, "Success? I've had lots of success! I know thousands of things that don't work."

Notes? Yes, I have thousands of notes! If only I could find them... :D

A sak is one of those knives i saw alot as a kid. As i have gotten older thanks mostly to this forum lol, i have begun to carry a sak daily. Today i have the classic on my keys, an electrician in mt pocket as well as kershaw knockout. Oh and a leatherman sidekick on my belt.

Pretty good combo. I can't stand to have a multi-tool on my belt unless I know I will be using it and that generally means for work.

Another fan here of the Swiss Army Knife Victorinox Compact. The scissors and corkscrew are indispensable to me. It's just a necessary pocket multi-tool.

It's a constant companion to my MBK Laconico EZC or Shirogorov F3. EZC around town; Shiro on the road.

Victorinox Compact around town :thumbsup:; the scissors and pen get the most use by me. The Huntsman for outdoors (hiking, camping, etc.) the saw is surprisingly effective, especially for cutting long wood pieces (up to around 5-6" thick) into smaller ones to chop (baton) for kindling. Sawing leaves a pretty flat surface making it easier to stand it up for processing. :cool:

Back