The most useful knife I own: Pioneer X

Personally, I prefer the thinness of the standard Pioneer over the Pioneer X and the Farmer, both of which I also own. I rarely if ever need a saw, and I mentioned earlier that if Inwant scissors, my Executive covers that. I find that carrying two SAKs, the Exec and either the Pioneer or Soartan, is more comfortable for me than carrying one thicker pocketknife. Not to mention the Exec's excellent nail file and tiny pen blade.

I find the Alox SAK's awl to be superior to the back-mounted one on the cellidor-handled Spartan/Tinker/ etc. models. And I would pick the Pioneer every time over the Spartan, if the Pioneer could somehow be made to carry the mini eyeglass screwdriver, which I always carry in my Spartan's corkscrew.

Jim

THIS!!!

With an Executive as my man EDC pocket knife, I find that when I think I'm going to be needlngmore knife/tool, I drop my old Wenger SI in my pocket with the lanyard run up under my belt so the knife dangles in my pocket back by the back seem of the pants. The Pioneer/Wenger SI/old soldier model is a damm near perfect model to augment the smaller 74mm SAK like an executive/ambasidor.

A true dynamic duo. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For knife guys, carrying two SAKs doesn't sound very exciting. Way too practical. ;) But it works very well.

I have an old soldier model from the 90's. It was my first shift away from the standard Tinker. I later went larger with the side locking 111mm Adventurer model, and now I have gone smaller with the Small Tinker. Life is circular..... (The Circle Game by Tom Rush)

Last edited:
I am incapable of limiting myself to just one knife; however I use 3 of the dozen or so SAKs I own most often. I carry my Centurian most often. I like the 111mm size best and the Centurian has the tools I use most (it's a Trekker without the saw and OHO blade) I carry my Trekker when sawing is a possibility so I carry it for yard work and hiking situations. Finally the Pioneer X is my "in town" knife.
I see a few references to broken springs on Victorinox scissors but I've never experienced a problem with them. I'm guessing they break if you try to cut something that's too thick. I have a Champion that I bought in 1983 with scissors that still cut as well as when I bought it.

I tried the Pioneer X but felt it was too thick and went back to just the Pioneer, which I think is about the best pocket folder SAK you can carry, heavy duty enough for most screw driving or scraping tasks as well as one very sharp blade. The awl is probably the most used tool on it, rugged for punching through material and mostly for scraping about anything.

Next would be my Executive, my oldest folder I have owned/kept ;)

and now I just got the Cadet to ride in my watch pocket. The Pioneer and Executive still ride together in my main front right pocket, while the Cadet sits above for those lighter tasks.

Here's a shot of the three, the black Pioneer is starting to turn silver, next is the Cadet and then the Executive;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

I am incapable of limiting myself to just one knife; however I use 3 of the dozen or so SAKs I own most often. I carry my Centurian most often. I like the 111mm size best and the Centurian has the tools I use most (it's a Trekker without the saw and OHO blade) I carry my Trekker when sawing is a possibility so I carry it for yard work and hiking situations. Finally the Pioneer X is my "in town" knife.
I have a plain edge Centurian that I like and yes concerning the Trekker. I zipped right past the Pioneer size to the Small Tinker most recently. I have a regular blue Pioneer model as well. Tried to buy a serrated version of the Centurian recently and they appear to have been discontinued.

For knife guys, carrying two SAKs doesn't sound very exciting. Way too practical. ;) But it works very well.

Maybe, but I see a multi tool as a great secondary knife. Still an extremely valuable part of one’s edc, but I like using a purpose built knife for my knife stuff. I’m not saying a SAK can’t do it, just I prefer a dedicated knife. Be it a Griptillian or a PM2 or in my case nowadays a trapper

My SAK is primary based on my actual use regardless of whether I have another blade with me. When I need a knife, habit forces me to reach for the SAK. I have been trying to carry the Benchmade Mini Presidio II and just got a Lionsteel Best Man. The one blade Best Man feels real nice and flat in the pocket. Still a pretty small knife although I consider the Mini Presidio II a medium sized knife. I do tend to like simple knives. The Trapper is an excellent edc.

I have an early SAK from the 50’s I believe. I was carrying it daily before the original Mac Giver was on t.v. I spent my youth looking for loose screws and hoping someone would need a wine bottle opened.

Then I switched to a Champion in the 80’s. It got tons of belt time too.

Then I switched to a Buck 110 on my belt, and the little classic SAK in my watch pocket. Seems just about perfect for my needs. Tooth pick, tweezers, scissors, file, even the little blade gets used.

(I still have never opened a wine bottle)

With all that said: my most useful knife is probably my Leatherman Wave.

What a person may carry WORKING is likely different from what you might carry day to day. The work related stuff carry is purely for convenience as I would assume that a person has access to other tools as well.

... I see a multi tool as a great secondary knife. Still an extremely valuable part of one’s edc, but I like using a purpose built knife for my knife stuff.

When I travel and I know I’ll cook, I keep a Victorinox Compact, Leatherman Wave and a good folder in my knife roll. Once at my destination they’ll go in my pockets. In the fall we’ll rent a house with an outdoor fireplace grill. They’re all indispensable.

What a person may carry WORKING is likely different from what you might carry day to day. The work related stuff carry is purely for convenience as I would assume that a person has access to other tools as well.

Very true. But I still carry my 110. With a pocket full of other tools. I’ve resisted the urge to carry a Leatherman to work. Eventually I know I’ll electrocute myself.

Then I switched to a Buck 110 on my belt, and the little classic SAK in my watch pocket. Seems just about perfect for my needs.

I think the combination of a largish single-blade folder and a keychain sized tool is a winning combination.

SAK's are all I carry anymore. Honestly, I rarely need anything larger than the Classic. The Pioneer is in my get home bag for a bigger blade and extra tools.

When I’m working I have either 6inch channel locks or Klein linesman pliers in my pocket plus an adjustable wrench and 6way screw driver. It’s really not too much to carry in a pocket.

Back