The next super steel

If Vanax Superclean can make its way into some production knives (are you reading this Spyderco?) that seems like a logical next step.
It won't because of the advanced heat treatment, expense of the steel, and availability. And even if they managed it some how... What would they be leaving on the table? Or .. If they did go all out, it would probably be over $500 for a pm2 for example (just a made up number, but won't be cheap). Just sayin.

It won't because of the advanced heat treatment, expense of the steel, and availability. And even if they managed it some how... What would they be leaving on the table? Or .. If they did go all out, it would probably be over $500 for a pm2 for example (just a made up number, but won't be cheap). Just sayin.
That and the tooling just to produce such knives. If I recall tooling wears faster on the higher end of things. Which also affects cost. To add to your pm2 example. Look at ones that are out now and the prices. In the end all the money put into the research and advancement it would be costly knifw.

I wanted to see what the consensus is with the "super steels". When is it going to end. There are so many variations of steel specifically for knives. The understanding is cost in tooling is more for super steels.

How many more variation can be made while not being redundant. How many would continue to buy new steels if new ones are being made.

It has ended for me. M4 is all I could ever want in a knife blade alloy.
I would like to try K390 and will some day but not because I am looking to gain any thing.
S110V I have a few. Yawn
Maxamet . . . I hope every one enjoys it. I won't be going there.
I cannot get enough M4. That's all I would use if I could get it in all of my users.

It has ended for me. M4 is all I could ever want in a knife blade alloy.
I would like to try K390 and will some day but not because I am looking to gain any thing.
S110V I have a few. Yawn
Maxamet . . . I hope every one enjoys it. I won't be going there.
I cannot get enough M4. That's all I would use if I could get it in all of my users.
Yes I like the way m4 sharpens and feels when sharpening.

Yes I like the way m4 sharpens and feels when sharpening.
And cuts.
and cuts
and cuts and cuts and . . .
I was using my Military today with M4. It just feels like nothing else edge wise. I have lots of other alloys and sharpen them all on the Edge Pro the same way; using the optimum stone material for the steel.
I smile when I use the others; I grin when I use the M4.

The benchmade contego did it for me. That reverse tanto in m4. With really grippy g10 .
And cuts.
and cuts
and cuts and cuts and . . .
I was using my Military today with M4. It just feels like nothing else edge wise. I have lots of other alloys and sharpen them all on the Edge Pro the same way; using the optimum stone material for the steel.
I smile when I use the others; I grin when I use the M4.

I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any super alloys made? My Dad's used to work on military aircraft, and his friend/co-worker used to make knives from the scrap metal. I wish I was into knives back then so I could have appreciated them more.

Now I'm curious what kinda properties a knife made from a super alloy might have.

I'd like to see Vanax 37 more widely available. My Shiro F95T with it has become my favorite knife to use and to sharpen. It's reeeeaaaally nice... But otherwise, M4 (folders) or D3V (fixers) all day long.

Vanax SuperClean may gain popularity. But it's not likely to make it's way into production.
The steel is the most expensive I have used. And the heat treat is expensive(steps involved). But it's an impressive steel. I have used it with Extremely impressive results.

I agree with the new trend being nitrogen steels. Like Vancron 40. Not stainless but should be cool once we hear more about it.

So many steel types, so little money, not fair! That said I'm still a big fan of my good old high-speed tool steel used on my EDC Gayle Bradley. It does what I need to do with a knife and very well in the doing. And the cost is not crazy either.

With nitrogen steel we can have it all except cost. That's why you don't see it being used.

The limits of nitrogen steel have not been explored, there really isn't any high alloy A11 class nitrogen steels readily available.

There was Vancron 40 and Vanax 75 but they aren't currently available in useable sizes for knives and are even more expensive the Vanax Superclean.

Uddeholm is currently the nitrogen steel leader but they are more concerned with balance, not extremes.

People forget that Extreme performance is Extreme trade off.
Those of us that understand that get that performance if we play to the steels strength and avoid it's weaknesses in use, sharpening and hopefully the knife's design/desiger takes advantage of it.

However, that's the beauty of high nitrogen, high carbon, high Vanadium.
It's more balanced then it's non-nitrogen cousin, Easier to sharpen and more stable but less horsepower (still won't out cut 15v and rex121)

Just extremely expensive.

You'll probably see steels like this in production knives by 2030ish

It takes a while for production to catch up.

To the OP, all the most Extreme steels exist right now, 15v, s125v, Rex121

No one is using them for many reasons.

They are a nightmare to work with and a nightmare for users that don't understand the trade off's

I wanted to see what the consensus is with the "super steels". When is it going to end. There are so many variations of steel specifically for knives. The understanding is cost in tooling is more for super steels.

How many more variation can be made while not being redundant. How many would continue to buy new steels if new ones are being made.

When? As long as knife nuts are doing things like excitedly discussing "What will the next super steel be?", never.

How many? As many as will sell.

"Marcinek Powder M8675309 has bacon molecules in it."
"Must buy.....bacon steel......"

Remember...440C was a super steel.

Nothing wrong with any of it....sexy new steels make people happy. 'Scool.

When? As long as knife nuts are doing things like excitedly discussing "What will the next super steel be?", never.

How many? As many as will sell.

"Marcinek Powder M8675309 has bacon molecules in it."
"Must buy.....bacon steel......"

Remember...440C was a super steel.

Nothing wrong with any of it....sexy new steels make people happy. 'Scool.

Bacon steel would at least have the benefit of a tasty smell while sharpening vigorously and grinding, you may be on to something. :D:thumbsup:

Can someone define "premium" steel? Without personal opinion, how does one define it so that normal Joe's can know what's premium and what's not.

Maybe when technologies like nanolamination get cheaper and more mainstream, we can have blades that are stacked layers of supersteel atoms, combining edge retention, strength and toughness on inner layers, with outer layers of the best corrosion resistant metals. A bit like a San Mai knife, but instead of a single steel sandwiched core, a core that consist of a multitude of different nano layers.

I'll get the marketing team on it. That's the most important part!

Next super steel coming right up!

Instagram+Kickstarter=Vaporware=Profit!

tenor.gif

Can someone define "premium" steel? Without personal opinion, how does one define it so that normal Joe's can know what's premium and what's not.

I can speak on "super" steels since that is the topic, and what steel is "super" is what steel we are told is super and will pay for.

Remember, 440C was super. Now it isn't. It didn't change.

Back