The Official Lanyard Thread

I did a couple more and, in the process, figured out why I had five snakes before, but only four with this diamond. The Stretch Nishijin and SAK Huntsman are using 550 cord instead of 425. The smaller 425 wasn't quite long enough with only four snakes. I didn't cut the 550 cord for the Stretch Nishijin quite long enough. So, it was tough getting the last snake on it. That tail is a bit short, but I'll replace it if/when I add a bead. I left the tails long on the Huntsman so I can add an end bead later as in Gary's SAK Rambler example.
53459878718_c2566f7dfc_b.jpg

Great thread. I just got done reading through the whole thing and am ordering assorted 550 hanks and some 2mm hanks to get started. A lot of beautiful work presented here.

I've been switching over to plastic or wood on most of mine also. Doesn't scratch up the knife and I can make my own if I get the stock online.

I have a couple of noobie questions. Take this snippet for example:

Image 1-15-24 at 12.36 PM.jpeg

Is the camo-colored part on the ends a whipping knot (ala Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley style)? And, what size/type of Paracord was used for that?

And in another snippet:

Image 1-15-24 at 12.47 PM.jpeg

Mr.sig239 Mr.sig239 , what size/type of cord are you using for the reduced-diameter neck on most of your lanyards? I like the idea of removing a lanyard without cutting it.

As I said in an earlier post, I ordered a bunch of 550, some 3mm cord, and some spools of 1mm waxed thread to play with. I also ordered a Shiro bead for the project. My hope is to have all the materials on hand when I'm in the mood to experiment.

Most of the goodies arrived today. Here's my first try with two diamonds and two whipping knots. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes for this simple little fellow.

The first diamond took a good half-hour to figure out. The lessons I learned are:

1. Don't try to save $0.10 of cord. It's much easier when you have more to hold on to.
2. When frustration sets in, take a breather. There was a bit of cursing involved when tightening the second diamond...and it didn't turn out very well.

IMG_1163.jpeg

I have a lot to learn. How long does it take you fellas to make the intricate lanyards?

I have a couple of noobie questions. Take this snippet for example:

View attachment 2458509

Is the camo-colored part on the ends a whipping knot (ala Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley style)? And, what size/type of Paracord was used for that?
Sorry not sure about the knots the member you mentioned uses, but yes it's a common whipping knot and it's 1.5mm cord

Does anyone have pics of good leather ones? I just got some leather shoe lace and beads in for my first lanyard on my first CRK. I've browsed through at least 10 pages of this sub and haven't seen any leather :( .

Back