The old (and new) school Schrade thread

Codger_64 said:
Fixer, there were quite a few models and variations of skinners made by Schrade over the years. Can you tell me the tangstamp? And the green handled (TPR - Thermoplastic rubber) Safe-T-Grip knives are a good deal for the dollar. I currently would give in the $20 range for one if I needed one. Those would be the 140OT, 141OT, 142OT, 143OT, 146OT, 147OT, 246OT, and three folders, 43OT, 47OT, and the 49OT.

Codger

well Codger, it was US made, and the blade was maybe 3 inches and it was
a skinner (with the hook) and it was the brown/light brown color of the
normal OT pocket knife color. I liked it because it was practical and it was
made in the US. The dealer had maybe 10 different brands of OT (old timers)
but that one stood out to me at least. For dressing a trout it seemed very
practical.

That sounds like the 152OT Sharpfinger, one of their most popular knives in the Old Timer fixed line. Last listed retail on it was $37.95 in 2004, but retailers like Walmart would routinely sell them for $20. Right now, NIB or MIP (clampack) seem to be selling in the $20-25 range, and a really nice used for $15 or so.

I have had one darn since they were introduced in '73/'74 and they are indeed handy little fishing/hunting knives. And as a bit of a surprise, here is a writeup of the knife by Nemo and Fred Perrin, I believe, of hte use of the 152 as a tactical!
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/2292/schraderev.htm

Is that the knife?

Codger

Edit: Whoops! With a guthook? Then that is the 158OT Guthook skinner with a 3 1/2" blade (a droppoint). 1988-2002. good price, not rare, but less common than the sharpfinger 152

There was a sharpfinger there (in a white handle) but not the knife that I
was looking at. The one that I was looking at had a brown handle with a nice
gut hook. With maybe a 3 inch blade with a curve.

If I keep on hanging out here I probrably will buy it!!!!!

Yes it had a drop point and brown handles. There was a large selection of
Schrades there all made in the USA. If anyone would like me to buy one the
next time they come through, LET ME KNOW.

Cases ruled the roost but there were Schrades to be had including the bone
handles and the mini's.

That series of small OT skinners is the 152OT, 154OT (6559500531) , 158OT (6558797750), and of course the different handle materials of each pattern. Brown delrin, black, white, cream, and green. An assortment makes a nice display, and as users they are quite inexpensive.

Codger

The 158OT is a nice knife for the money:

fa_1.JPG

That is the knife that I dealt with at the show.

Does anyone have any opinions about it?

Yes, it is. I lucked onto one last fall in the back of a Ducks Unlimited display at the local lumber company. A bit of haggeling and I took it home for $19.95 and tax. Last retail in 2002 was $41.95.

Some folks I have talked to don't like guthooks on knives but bought one anyway, then modified it back into it's 154OT drop point predecessor by removing the guthook.

Codger

I forgot to tell you guys, I received the Schrade stockman with the Maple handles and it is indeed a 100 Year Anniversary knife. It's a beauty:

File0001Small.jpg

Codger_64 said:
Yes, it is. I lucked onto one last fall in the back of a Ducks Unlimited display at the local lumber company. A bit of haggeling and I took it home for $19.95 and tax. Last retail in 2002 was $41.95.

Some folks I have talked to don't like guthooks on knives but bought one anyway, then modified it back into it's 154OT drop point predecessor by removing the guthook.

Codger

That guthook is the key to the whole knife. So is it a "go" on buying one?

Ialways liked Schrade but I also thought that Schrade was plan "B" when
compared against Case knives. But I like Schrades now because they were
great knives tha no one knows about.

That one is based on the 156OT Lil' finger. I used one on a deer last fall and it worked great. So did the 154OT. I don't use a guthook, so I couldn't say about the 158OT, but the whole pattern group is good to me.

Codger

Codger_64 said:
That one is based on the 156OT Lil' finger. I used one on a deer last fall and it worked great. So did the 154OT. I don't use a guthook, so I couldn't say about the 158OT, but the whole pattern group is good to me.

Codger

The gut hook keeps the skin and guts away from the Trout. I like the
hook and I like the size of the blade.

Next show, that knife will be mine. :D

25 dollars for a great factory knife seems cheap to me.

fixer, I don't know what size trout you catch, but this little Schrade might be more practical for fish:

37_1_b.jpg

Schrades are and always have been a good value. After a winter/spring spike in demand/prices, they are coming back down again. We are getting near the hunting seasons in the U.S., so demand should climb back up a bit, but the collector market will be soft on the standard Old Timer fixed blades, and the short term investors that bought heavy during the spike will be unloading as they see the prices drop, so the (ebay) supply should be good for a while. The dealers who bought by the pallet from Blue Ridge and SMKW are just now really getting down to the rarer stuff (like the bone 156 LTD and my laminated wood 165 LTD sample), but they aren't setting the world on fire with their prices now like a few months back. I want at least one anniversary knife, but they are still in demand, so I'll wait a bit longer. Evidently Schrade had a lot more of them inhouse than made it to the retail market.

Codger

redshanks said:
fixer, I don't know what size trout you catch, but this little Schrade might be more practical for fish:

37_1_b.jpg

Nice thought but the blades that are used when Trout are dressed out have
to be able to decapitate the trout as well.

That knife is a little short for that duty.

That is one they showed on their March '04 "Collector's Club" website. There were a dozen or more patterns considered, some of which maybe made ppap, a few ramp up, fewer still boxed and completed. Some with just an etch, some round coined medallion shield, and some banner shield, and all combinations. It would have been a great set to collect a "one of each" of, but alas.......

Codger

Codger_64 said:
That is one they showed on their March '04 "Collector's Club" website. There were a dozen or more patterns considered, some of which maybe made ppap, a few ramp up, fewer still boxed and completed. Some with just an etch, some round coined medallion shield, and some banner shield, and all combinations. It would have been a great set to collect a "one of each" of, but alas.......

Codger

Alas and alack forsooth shall we always be denied?????? :D
I do not collect knives I collect tools and some are better than others.

That gut hook equipped Old Timer though is talking to me..... It is very
practical and somewhat rare and only $25 bucks and......
I will buy the thing if it is still around next show, I like the blade and it is
worth the money...

Back