The old (and new) school Schrade thread

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey gang,

With the demise of Schrade as we know it, the demand for original pieces have increased (well, the prices anyways).

Now, when you think of schrade, what comes to mind? Probably Old Timers first, then maybe Uncle Henry's (or vice versa).

With those two brands getting the spotlight, we owe it to our public to expose them to some of the other patterns that Schrade has produced through the years.

So I call all of Uncle Henry's Lost Souls (on our secret decoder money clip, of course) to dig out all those "different" patterns and post pics of them. If you know a little about the patterns, share that info as well.

Now I know LT could keep this thread alive by himself for 5 years with all the examples he could produce, but I also know you others have some fine pieces squirreled away. (Heck, Phil had the market cornered on the SS627, right?)

So lets see your stockmans, H-15's, automatics, lobster patterns, ring knives, scout patterns, marlin spikes, 3rd generations, limited editions....oh well, you get the idea.

I'll get this party started...

Glenn

Keyknife.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

ok this is a broken budd knife, pattern #190
DSCF0024.jpg

Here is a lobster pattern, no #, about 2 7/8" long
DSCF0029.jpg

Hey Glennbad is this thread also for broken or incomplete knives or is it a test. I am referring to one of your knives it is a Schrade Walden ( 190, From memory but that should be close ). So whats up? Does anyone else see the problem. Or know what this knife was for or was called? Then again perhapes I am wrong so here are a couple of hints hey BUDD whats for dinner I don't see the spuds. LT

That is a great looking gunstock, Glenn! Just beautiful. And a good idea for a thread.
Del, that is one fine collection. Beautiful knives!
lrv, thumbs up on yours. No Schrade collection is complete without a wire jack.

Mine are newer. Variations of the Schrade/Loveless- PH series. Two of them shown here are 'what if' knives: The Ruger medallion adorned stag handled, and the 'Lowes Blue Bone, both PH2. Seems as if Schrade was on the verge of stealing the Lowes proprietary 'blues' from Case, and was in the running with Case for the Ruger knife deal. Yeah, what if....

Fine knives, although I admit I have never gutted a deer with any of them. I could kill a half dozen deer a year for the rest of my life and not use all my fine hunters. Besides, as Codger pointed out recently, a broken bottle will do just as well, in a pinch.

Phil
301276.jpg

301277.jpg

lt632ret said:
Hey Glennbad is this thread also for broken or incomplete knives or is it a test. I am referring to one of your knives it is a Schrade Walden ( 190, From memory but that should be close ). So whats up? Does anyone else see the problem. Or know what this knife was for or was called? Then again perhapes I am wrong so here are a couple of hints hey BUDD whats for dinner I don't see the spuds. LT

LT, hmmm....is there something missing on the 3rd knife???? Got a clean sample to share with us????

Phil, outstanding knives! They must have cost a fortune. My budget for knives is basically nothing, so I have to collect broken knives. :D

Larry, nice pieces....

Delander, thanks for the link..

Now this is what I am talking about.

Here's a couple more...

A double pic you guys have seen before recently. A scout pattern that we just talked about, and a fish knife/toothpick with a missing bail.

DSCF0007.jpg

Of course, everyone probably has one of these by now...

DSCF0023.jpg

Glenn

Very good guys...you were right on top of that. Kind of hard to find one of those that hasn't been damaged in some way...Next pic will be a collapsed ping pong ball and a sock with a hole in it.

I'm still waiting for LT to open the flood gates and wow us with his treasure trove of obscure beauties...

Glenn

Whoa! So it wasn't a gunstock at all! A budding knife missing the ivory piece (slap on the forehead and a 'Duh!'.

Small ivory slabs are available on ebay once in a while... can you see where it is broken off and would it be easy to fix?

I don't have a Miracle Whip, but I very much like the little all-steel Schrades, have a few of them in very similar patterns.

Yep the PHs cost some $... but that is why I spend so much time ebaying my gun/knife show, Junk and pawn shop and garage sale finds. As much as possible, my hobby is self supporting. It has almost become an end to itself.

Let's see more..

Phil

As I mentioned earlier, time is a factor and things just keep going wrong .(So for a while I will not be doing to many pics ) however here is a pic you might like considering the vein of the conversation . As I said things just keep fouling up. Some how while trying to get things done I took a floopy out of the upstairs computer and it started making noises so I turned it off now there is nothing on the machine that allows me to use the floopy mode does that make sense how do I relode it or have I just broken something else any help???? The knife is a small Schrade cut ( 03-46) gunstock with rare Christmas tree cell handles.

Hey its all better, the old restart trick which caused a re configuration and uhh stuff like that. Actually I was forgiven my trespasses by the computer Gods and they made it work. You know in cave man times all you would have needed to be considered a God was a throw away bic lighter ( at least until it ran out of gas. LT

You don't have to go that far back in time. Ever try to start a gas grill for the masses at supper time when the sparker wears out. A good lighter or even a match raises you to godlike status all the time.
:)

My entry tonight.
A OLD Hammer. Uncle's farm knife. Well used. Scales are in great shape. One heavy 3 3/4" knife.
ham1.jpg

Some very nice knives! On those early jigged bone knives like Larry's and others, were the bones hand jigged, or done on the machine George Schrade invented?

Codger

That actually is a great question of course later on they were machined pretty interesting to watch a die type thing is put on a motor which turns it and the bone is held against it at least that is the manual automatic version. ( some of the people who made these handles this way had some interesting hands no gloves back then and you got paid on piece work so if you got good at your job you had some tough hands).the fully automatic version just feeds the bone and the fully manual version has a person just sort of chipping away with hand tools. Early on it was all manual and all the companies did not switch over to machines at the same time. New methods of production were not accepted over nite and costs for help were alot less than new ( fangled unproven ) machinery. Other factors also came into play such as when the Wallkill river in the case of New York Knife or the bierkill in he case of Ulster were low and not supplying power what a great time to jig handles or sharpen knives manually (on a stone run by peddle power). At least it kept a paycheck coming in when all those machine operators were laid off waiting for the creek to rise, ( that is why most of the workers were skilled in most aspects of the cuttlers trade). People did not say thats not my job they said got any work? I can learn and do whatever pays. Of course that was way back. One of the reasons Geo Schrade sold out from Walden knife was to get away from the hand made production and implement more mechanized equiptment and early assembly type line production. The original Schrade plant had a stream nearby but really was fully electric from the beginning. This was unlike most of the others but remember the Schrade company was the new kid on the block heck it was already 1903 (most say 1904 ) when these upstarts began production. Peachseed jigging is almost a trademark of Schrade it is a very sought after pattern now if you look at this pattern and understand the various ways it was made you can understand why ( especially since it is quite pretty ) it was used so often first it is an easy pattern simple and repetitive great for a machine second it is a relatively large cut which was also conducive to hand production. It also is the reason why you will often see the same pattern on various knife handles which are peachseed somehow do not look quite the same. I hope this helps in part to answer this. LT

Here's a little Schrade of the type also of interest to me. It's not really an Uncle Henry, so it fits in this thread, but it has 'Uncle Henry' engraved in script on the handle. I like these little things with all the shine, just as a crow would.

Not usual, as LT points out in this old thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168070&highlight=778

Tang Mark: Schrade+, U.S.A. 778.

My first 778 my brother bought for a couple of bucks in a Cleveland flea market. My most recent was purchased last night on ebay for $1.00. We live in strange world, don't we, when one can purchase a used knife, made in American of quality materials, in excellent condition, carrying with it a bunch of history, for such a small price?

Phil

Attachments

• 778 full.jpg
    778 full.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 23
  • 778 closeup.jpg
    778 closeup.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 19
(In best Homer Simpson voice) "Mmmm...christmas tree handles"

Those are all excellent contributions, guys. Just what I was hoping for.

Here are two more:

The first is not really a schrade, it's an Ulster (hey, close enough). I love the worn look of the bone. Sharp as a razor. The main blade is a little lazy, but it almost feels more like smooth style than lazy snap.

Misc042.jpg

Here is an interesting piece. Sadly, it looks like someone took the time to swap the position of the blades in the knife, and kinda ruined it. I still liked it because the bolster work and tang stamp were different than what I have previously seen.

Misc053.jpg

Glenn

People did not say that's not my job. They said, "Got any work? I can learn and do whatever pays."

What a lesson from history. As LT keeps reminding us, we simply don't learn from the past.

Back