The old (and new) school Schrade thread

Starting to slip down the page. I'll have to keep this going.

This first one is a "scout-type" pattern that I just picked up. It's in quite solid shape and very little blade loss. That's what you see from the scout type patterns usually, they're almost always sharpened into a sliver. Only the nicest examples have full blades. This is about 3 5/8" long, with no pattern #

Misc044.jpg

This one is a standard peanut pattern (is it? actually, doesn't the peanut have squared bolsters on one end? Oh well...), but also says "Ace Hardware" on the main blade. Nice clean little piece. About 2 3/4" long, and it is a #218

Misc048.jpg

I was reading Blade mag last night, and they were talking about the peanut pattern. They had a values chart, and there were no schrades listed. There was a "Sharp" listed, though. Was that a deliberate snub???

Glenn

Okay, here's two more

Misc040.jpg

Misc037.jpg

enjoy,

Glenn

Love that red and white handled one. Beautiful.
Let's see some more, guys.

Phil

Sorry for neglecting the thread. I have been nursing a sick cable modem and it finaly gave up the ghost this morning.

Here is another older Hammer.
ham2.jpg

Nice congress, Larry. How come I can never find those?

Well, anyways, here are some more...

Everyone has one of these, of course. They should have their own category on ebay :p

Misc064.jpg

and a nice schrade cut. There is no model # on this one, it is about 3 3/8" long.

Misc047.jpg

And an old and new eagle scout... These are both model 708, about 2 3/4" long.

Misc063.jpg

Glenn

Oh, yah, I have one of the Lilly's. Drug companies always have had money to burn.

After reading an article in Knife World last year, I got interested in the flat bottom 'stand up knives'. Here's just a few of my Schrades, a rope knife #163 and a couple of the Pruners #136. As old as a couple of these are, opening and closing 'em brings new meaning to the term 'walk and talk'.

Phil
6rhkxl.jpg

Todays listing is the pride of my Switchblade collection with the following words from LT about the piece.

hunter1.jpg

“Schrade Walden Hunters pride Black. Composite handles. These handles when they go can only be replaced by bone. The early composite cannot be duplicated/ So as a result they are becoming more difficult to find than the jigged bone. The Schrade Walden’s were only made until 56. With the composite handles and with Schrade Walden markings it is quite a nice piece made only for about 10 years.”

:D
TTYL
Larry
P.S. Thats reflection on the bolster.

NIce one Larry. I have yet to obtain an old Schrade switchblade. Good article about the WW2 paratrooper's switch in this months Knife World magazine.

I still keep admiring that candy striped hunter, Glenn. That was a find for you.

I just watched a rope knife I wanted on ebay sell for over $80. The usual, a couple of guys trying to out-bid each other, not bothering to look and see what these have sold for in the past.

Please show more!

Phil

Thanks for the contributions guys. Nice rope knives, Phil. I have one of those in the hawkbill pattern.

As far as the fixed blade, I don't have too many, but when that came up on ebay awhile back, I had to jump on it. Who knows, maybe we'll do business. :)

Larry, nice auto. I really have none in my collection, just a crappy Pastor Aleman pull-type. I keep looking at them on ebay, but they just get too high for my budget...

Well anyway, here are a few more...

Here is your standard ??? dog leg jack (is that right?) It is a pattern #236, about 3 5/8" long

Misc043.jpg

and your standard butter and molasses schrade cut. There is no model # on it, but it is about 3 3/8" long.

Misc059.jpg

I don't think I would call this a melon tester, it's a little different than the one-blade style. Again, no pattern #, and about 4 1/2" long.

Misc073.jpg

Glenn

A few file pics perhapes when things calm down I will have time to take some regular pocket shots ( er pictures of regular folders ). Hard to resist posting autos are as you may be aware my favorite veggy. This group includes most of the models of Press buttons, Schrade cuts, Flylocks, Prestos, Schrade Waldens, Shapleigh, and a few others some rather rare stuff. Please note the ONYX hunters pride as well as the guardian ect. ( mentioned earlier in a thread ) these are folding hunters some of them were military. Notice they were made in 4,1/8" ( some brands 4.1/4" ), The large folders were usually 4,7/8". Now todays question is aside from the visual what common factor did all these knives and companies share. Hint he was the man. LT

I started the springer submissions so I thought I'd add another in the family.
This little candy stripe is all original. It works well but the spring is real tired.
Very light.
I got 1 more springer from the family of Schrades I'll put up tomorrow.

Glenn, love those molasses handles.

Lt, yes, he was the man! :D

TTYL
Larry

candy1.jpg

Man, Larry, that is one sweet piece there. I'm jealous.

LT, very nice pieces, to be sure. Got any duplicates you want to part with?

Thanks for sharing, guys.

Glenn

Here are some uncropped photos of a few more...

your standard 896k

Misc078.jpg

and something else

Misc065.jpg

Glenn

glenn,
At first I thought your 896k was the picture size.. Then I saw the picture..
Beauty.
Thanks for starting this thread.
TTYL
Larry

I'm definitely not up on the Schrade's like you guys, but I do have an original wirejack and just added this Schrade-Walden folding hunter. Should be here next week :)

I've been wanting a nice folding hunter to carry occasionally and this one called to me. I know I paid too much but what the heck...

attachment.php

attachment.php

PS: Anyone know what the Yin & yang logo may mean (also says ASTEN) and the approximate manufacture date on this one?

More cool pics. This was a great idea, Glenn, as we have been a little hung up on UH and OT knives. This is fun.

Thanks for participating, cpirtle. I like the big oldtime folding hunters, the kind that Buck blew out of the water and made obsolete with the 110. 'Asten' was a felt manufacturer, so your's was probably a give away for a very very good customer, as sale premium perhaps. Schrade must have had a salesman that went after woolen and felt accounts. I recently showed some all metal 'felt & wool' company knives. This is the most expensive model I've seen.

I enlarged your photo, can see what looks like the 'den' on the tang, so I figure it's a Schrade Walden. 1948-1973. Looks like a 25OT (?) Date could be narrowed down by finding out when Asten was in business.

Phil

Can anyone else help? I don't wanna diseminate bad info.

The seller said it was a 225H and that is the tangstamp. We know that sellers are often wrong with their descriptions, but he is correct this time. And no, the price you gave for this knife was very reasonable. Those older folding hunters in such nice condition are fairly rare and do command premium prices. I have seen non-private issues of similar models sell for much more. A really nice knife and congratulations to the new owner! I watched this one, but thankfully have not been bitten by the folder bug .....yet.

Some day soon I'll get a better camera, and some photohosting so I can post pictures of a few of my older Schrade Walden and George Schrade fixed blades. Til then, keep those pictures coming! Just because I don't collect the folders with beautiful handle materials doesn't mean I don't love looking at them!

Codger

Codger,

We are close to giving you the folder infection!

Once you start tracking them collecting aint that far away..

I think we got ya.

TTYL
Larry

Oh, I do have thirty or so, mostly Uncle Henry's and Old Timers, some of the late great space debris, an X blade or four, and of course, the obligitory Ulster 58OT. But Until I pay a few hospital and other bills, and then get a few more fixed blades to round out my frames, the folders and slippies will just have to wait. And yes, I do keep a few on my watch list. Like that nice 896K, (nice knife there..I admit I lusted after that one!.congrats on that one too!).

Soon, very soon, I have to buy a new computer. My Dell Dimension 2400 is filling up, and not long for this world. Does it ever end?

Codger

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I thought there was a good chance someone here was watching the auction as well.

Also thanks for the info, it's definitely a Walden, here's a shot of the tang stamp.

attachment.php

Back