The One Knife

that's hard to answer depends on what I'm doing
one knife I could live with happerly for a say a few months and it be the only knife i could use so got to do every thing
ka bar 1258 its not to big or small I like fixed better than folders and iv had it a long time so I know it's strengths and weaknesses
there is no one perfect knife that's why most of use on here have a small or big collection

What is your "One Knife?"

Im just a tiny step ahead of your delica (price and size wize.) with my ZDP-189 Endura. I got it a couple of months ago and I cannot fathom carrying another knife. It is fantastic, everything I need for my normal everyday tasks, Opens bags of rock salt, Shreds through cardboard boxes that will not fit in the trash compactor, like wise with ceiling tiles that have water damage or hand prints. strong lock up and excellent edge retention and at the end of the week I can go home and spend an hour sharpening this monster of a blade steel. (like seriously ZDP takes for ever to sharpen...)

I’m not ready to narrow it down to one. Changing it up is too much fun!

That said, due to circumstances, I self-limited to only my Spyderco Southard for the last three months, used the poop out of it, and it’s been great.

Today I broke out my Rhino because I wanted something small. I haven’t used it much, but it’s been a fun change.

As for pocket knives I have to say that my Steel Will Cutjack in D2 has kept me satisfied for the last 2 or 3 years.
As for fixed blades i prefers my Ontario SP10 Marine Raider.
My kitchen knife is an Old Hickory 7in butcher. There is better but it works for me.
Favorite fast food knife, McDonald's Big Breakfast knife. It's a great butter spreader knife.

But truth be known i can do 99% of all my needs with my Steel Will Cutjack.

My one knife would have to be my old trusty WE practic work knife. The thin M390 blade holds a incredible edge. I've beat on the back of the blade with a hammer, to notch framing and to remove bits of wood left. Can't believe I haven't broke it, the blade was scratched up badly so I etched it. I'm going to pick up another one and save it for a back up.
uk9mS8w.jpg

Last edited:
Well not the Delica but . . . I was carrying and using my extremely modified Delica today at work.
Black FRN stock handle, HAP-40 Wharncliffe blade, most of the Spyder hole cut away for a wave hook, most of the top of the whole blade cut away to turn it into a blade not unlike the Case Tear Drop Wharncliffe blade only a little bigger. Very thin at 1.3mm at the spine.
Very "Delicate" VERY CAPABLE !

MY "One Knife " that would probably be two knives smashed together. Spyderco Para 2 with M4 steel crossed with my highly modified Brad Zinker Urban Trapper shown here LINK > > > (I further refined the handle after these photos were taken but you get the idea. I love this thing ! ! ! !

oh and add a good helping of my highly modified Cold Steel Ti Lite IV Full Flat ground to 1.9mm at the spine, CTS-XHP, pocket clip removed shown here at this LINK > > >. Yes I very much have my own view on what is an adequate EDC. Most all stock knives fall far short.

The stock Delica is a super good knife though. I have a couple I have not modified; one VG-10 and one ZDP-189 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I’ve been convinced that I had finally found “the one knife” many times over the last several years, but, the reality is that there is always eventually going to be a new or pre-existing product that matches my current cutting-tool needs better than what I currently have.

More in the spirit of the thread, though, my S35VN clip point Recon 1 is probably the knife that most embodies what I really want out of a knife -and- is the knife I have carried and used the most out of what I currently own. I like clip points, the grip is excellent, it carries well, it cuts well, it is easy to maintain the edge, and the mechanical aspects are 100% on point. It’s also a little threatening, which pleases my inner mall ninja tactical operator.

It’s not invulnerable to replacement, though. I don’t tend to form emotional attachments to products I buy unless they’re somehow significant to an interpersonal relationship.

With my current preferences in knives (always subject to change), I also would choose my Recon1, in cts xhp, as my do everything knife. Well made, strong, relatively light, very comfortable in hand, great steel, and durable. What else is there?
I also think my Lawman in s35vn is a fine blade. I do so well with Cold Steel s version of that steel, that the change from cts xhp was not as big a downgrade as I feared.
In a one blade for everything scenario, I want a bigger blade for better all around utility. I ve had blades too small to do certain jobs well, but haven t had a blade too big for a job. Of course we re talking about a 4 inch folder.

In a one blade for everything scenario, I want a bigger blade for better all around utility. I ve had blades too small to do certain jobs well, but haven t had a blade too big for a job. Of course we re talking about a 4 inch folder.

I’ll tell you there is definitely a point where it becomes cumbersome. I tried to EDC all of the following knives:
Cold Steel Large Espada (5.5” blade)
Cold Steel Rajah II (6” blade)
Cold Steel XL Talwar (5.5” blade)

In all cases, for minor tasks, the length of the blade made fine motions very cumbersome. Your hand is just so far from the tip that doing anything with the slightest precision is difficult, and even cutting with the parts of the blade closer to the handle means you have to be very mindful of the rest of the blade.

Also, they’re just comically large for folders and there are very few settings where one could discretely use one without raising eyebrows. They’re awkward for anything other than totally killing dudes with a sick pocket sword.*

* I say that with sincere love and mockery. I wanted them to work so badly.

Benchmade nitrous Stryker (full size for day carry, mini with serrations for fishing).

It’s a true shame they have been discontinued for so long.

I usually carry 2 knives: one smaller for whittling and small knife stuff, and one large enough to prep an apple or cut a sandwich to size. The uses are just flat out mutually exclusive, there is no way I would trim a nail with a PM2. Yes it could do it, but if entropy did strike the amount of damage would be disproportionately large. Unless I bite the bullet and hunt down a GEC Whaler at secondary market prices, I am sticking to my 2 knife philosophy. Except that it's technically 3 knives because of that lighter pouch on my belt that actually has a tiny SAK, mostly for the tweezers, scissors, and toothpick. There's also a Leathermen ES4 in there too, for the pliers and small wire strippers, but it has a blade on it as well...... I am still calling it a 2 knife philosophy, but if I ever came up with the One Knife that floated my boat, I would be as happy as Gollum with the One Ring.
gollum-wins-the-ring-9-728.jpg

As for pocket knives I have to say that my Steel Will Cutjack in D2 has kept me satisfied for the last 2 or 3 years.
As for fixed blades i prefers my Ontario SP10 Marine Raider.
My kitchen knife is an Old Hickory 7in butcher. There is better but it works for me.
Favorite fast food knife, McDonald's Big Breakfast knife. It's a great butter spreader knife.

But truth be known i can do 99% of all my needs with my Steel Will Cutjack.
I have been real pleased with my M390 Mini Cutjack. I prefer Hardy's and Burger King's breakfasts. ;) Burger King has their "Ultimate" that includes pancakes. Great breakfast, but I wish they gave more meat (bacon or sausage) with the breakfast without ordering a side. I order the smoke sausage as a side with the Hardy'd Big Breakfast. :thumbsup: (Sorry for the non knife comments.)

Last edited:
I can’t stick to just one forever, but the one I’ve carried the longest is the Al Mar Sere 2K.

I am way too attention deficit to ever have a "one". Plus, I'm almost never caught with ONLY one knife at any moment. But the knife that I think I've carried the longest as a primary edge, is the ZT0456. It's a stout knife with strong tip, and perfect (for me obviously), edge for multi-purpose uses.

one ''folding'' knife is hard becouse i would always want a slicer and a tactical stype pry blade and those 2 just dont match!
so im gonna take 2 instead of 1 becouse i can ;p
slicer/utility : spyderco carribean! its useable in all situations including the sea, having a knife that just wont rust regardless and still holds a good edge is just such a brain ease if you know what i mean.
tactical/pry : cold steel sr1 tanto. i love this thing its insane and can penetrate just about anything without breaking, yet it wont slice anything since its insanely thick behind the edge.

edit : IF i had to go down to one from these 2 and find something inbetween of these 2 i would take my cold steel lawman!

Still my 30 year old dlc well partially dlc coated now, fully serrated spyderco police. Yes I guess I'm boring like that.

I’ll tell you there is definitely a point where it becomes cumbersome. I tried to EDC all of the following knives:
Cold Steel Large Espada (5.5” blade)
Cold Steel Rajah II (6” blade)
Cold Steel XL Talwar (5.5” blade)

In all cases, for minor tasks, the length of the blade made fine motions very cumbersome. Your hand is just so far from the tip that doing anything with the slightest precision is difficult, and even cutting with the parts of the blade closer to the handle means you have to be very mindful of the rest of the blade.

Also, they’re just comically large for folders and there are very few settings where one could discretely use one without raising eyebrows. They’re awkward for anything other than totally killing dudes with a sick pocket sword.*

* I say that with sincere love and mockery. I wanted them to work so badly.

I understand and completely agree.

The last time I carried my Hold Out 1, approx. 6” blade, was on my daily pre dawn morning bike ride the morning after a neighbor told me the night before he had spotted a bear going through his trash can on the street. I don t know what I was thinking! (I also carried a hand gun that AM.)
5.5-6 inch blades on folders are not practical; having a couple as collector items is fun. I don t see myself buying any more.

Who was it had the sig line saying "I refuse to maintain a monogamous relationship with a knife"?

Whoever it was, they got it right.

Practical considerations mean that my Alox Electrician

rRVBW7v.jpg

is my most-carried knife, but it's a piece of equipment to me, like my Fluke meter. I don't have the same attachment to it that I do for other knives. The problem is, if I had to choose just one, it's probably the best cutting tool for most situations that I would encounter.

I went through a phase several months ago where I just had to have a PM2. That of course led to other "needs." A Domino (or two), a Buccaneer, a ZT0562, perhaps something else I'm forgetting. During the acquisition stage I picked up an unassuming Delica here that has been modified a hair, nothing crazy.
Ah, the Delica. So unobtrusive. So vanilla. So . . .
Usable.
I have no need for others.

Dear Delica, I'll never stray from you.
Others may catch my eye, but it is only to remind me that grass is hardly ever greener on the other side.
Sincerely yours,
Brawny

The Delica is one of the best knife designs, ever, and I think in the 3” category it is the best.

Fir a larger knife I like the Manix 2 back lock or light weight.

Back