The One Knife

If it were to come down to one and I get to pick out of my current line-up there are some considerations that need met an a daily basis. It has to fit in my pocket along w/my hand, keys, change pouch and whatever else might occupy it. But foremost, I need to be able to get my hand in my pocket w/a knife clipped to the hem of it. My other pocket always has my chew and a small knife (currently an Atom). Not all my pockets are the same, a 0561 might fit in one pair and work fine but definitely won't work in all of them. It has to be able to perform any given task with durable steel and a comfortable handle w/out fear of overtasking it. Good customer support in case it does fail is a need to have.

Given that criteria I would have to pick my Hinderer 3" skinny slicer in CPM20V (any quality steel would work). I didn't start out liking it a whole lot, had some pretty serious hot-spots for my Lg hand. I contoured the scale where my index finger rides against it (very sharp edge) near the flipper tab when deployed and relieved a bit of G10 to better access the lock-bar. The best mod was smoothing out the flipper 'hook' that bit painfully into my finger when gripped hard. Now the steel rides comfortably against my finger and I find it in my pocket frequently. While not Spydy slicey it's real close and IMO much more durable than any Spydy I have, except maybe my large Valloton but that's not a great EDC knife and no slicer. I do have an Endura, Delica, PM2 and PM3, among others, the Delica and Endura are used much more than the PM's.

If I had to go with one, it would be my Laguiole.
XN0A9vx.jpg

I love the way it looks, and the way it feels in the hand. The steel is good: 14C28, and nothing feels better than a good wooden handle. This one is olive wood, but you can get juniper, pistachio, boxwood, ebony, etc. The traditional handle material is horn, but I prefer wood. This knife is perfect for food: cutting baguettes, sausage, cheese, fruit, vegetables, etc. You can get one with a corkscrew, if you wish. This knife will also do just about anything you need a knife for. Maybe not batoning. It could even be used in self defense, in a pinch (I'd go for my gun, though, which is usually nearby). If I had to go with one.

I am not really sure what I would pick for my “1” knife.

I plan to have a US production Kershaw Zing put in with me when I’m put in the ground. So, that might be my one...But, I love the ergonomics of the CRKT Prowler...and, I have enjoyed my Griptilian. So many memories with it.

I guess I will let time and hand motor skills make my choice for me. I don’t have the dexterity that I used to.

You knife is old style and seem to danger and small. Keep it folded and open it when it use

My 91mm SAK Mountaineer, it basically covers 80-90% of all my daily tool needs, and I can carry it pretty much anywhere in the world.

When I think of that "one knife", the first thing that comes to mind after the initial "NO!", is CRK. Mine was my go-to everyday (not only) knife for a good year or more after I first got it, and it really has everything I need in an all-around knife. Solid, high quality, a design and cool factor that satisfies the knife enthusiast in me, as gentlemanly as I will ever find myself needing to be, suited well to most any cutting tasks, and tough enough to stand up to a lifetime of use while wearing the added character from that use well. If I had to pick one knife from my collection to be the one, it would be my choice, and it wouldn't even take me very long to choose. But hell, who am I kidding, I don't even like the idea of carrying only one knife at a time ;)

a94lW2D.jpg

lGKUMeE.jpg

Faownph.jpg

MBK Laconico EZC.

Next up is a Keen. Anything bigger and I'd need my Shirogorov F3 or a fixed blade. The TRC Splinter 120 is beating my other bushcraft knives for versatility.
I have carried my Mass Keen Laconico for over a year, and it's a wonderful knife...

You knife is old style and seem to danger and small. Keep it folded and open it when it use

Laconico design is OLD STYLE? Wow....

Keep it folded?...... just wait until you want to sell a knife on this forum...What are you going to do then? Show a closed knife?

I would suggest that you spend a lot of time reading and not posting...

Last edited:
For over 44 years it has been the Buck 303 ( Camillus made mostly). I was given one for my 10th birthday and have never been with one one since. Hell at one point I owned 100 of them at the same time! I’ve tried to leave it so many times over the years but I have always come back.
Now of course as I write this I have a knife that has a very good chance of doing what no other knife has been able to do in my pocket so maybe...

I’m still looking for “the one”. I suspect it may be a never ending quest.

My 'one' is a White River Knife and Tool Sendero Classic. Jerry Fisk design, 4 & 1/2 inch fixed blade, black and maple Richlite handle, hand rubbed satin finish. I got to be a part of my hand, and so far it has not disappointed. Folders rotate, the Sendero is a true EDC knife.

I have a couple of my 'grail' knives, a SOG S-1 bowie, a sterile Peter Bauchop Witch, etc, and even they get some use. To ME, the ONE means has to be a viable user, and would be your first choice for any job you might anticipate running into on any given day. Specialized or oversized blades for a days work are fun, however, and I will carry a large fixed blade in the field, or fishing, but at the end of the day, I will cut my steak or fish with the 'one.'

Last edited:
Back