The Orca: Eric Ochs design, Reate build, Massdrop release

In case anyone's interested, tomorrow Massdrop releases the Orca, a well-established design from custom knifemaker Eric Ochs, built for Massdrop by Reate. This looks to be an impressive liner lock knife for the price, with available upgrade from the base G-10 version to marbled carbon fiber with Moku-Ti.

Last edited:
Tomorrow Massdrop releases the Orca, a well-established design from custom knifemaker Eric Ochs, built for Massdrop by Reate. This looks to be an impressive liner lock knife for the price, with available upgrade from the base $180 G-10 version to marbled carbon fiber with Moku-Ti for an additional $120.

Thanks for pointing it out. Great looking, reasonably priced knife.

With another free ad for md why dont they have a paid vendor spot yet on the forum?

.....knife also probably has a billboard on it with a md logo......just looked and yep it does

Last edited:
$180 or 180+120=$300 for a new factory knife design with no reputation. It's a "belt and suspenders knife" with thumb studs and flipper...Why? It's a brick at ~5oz and it's made out of 20th century steel. Massdrop is about marketing hype more than anything else.

Reactions: Mo2
With another free ad for md why dont they have a paid vendor spot yet on the forum?

.....knife also probably has a billboard on it with a md logo......just looked and yep it does
We know how you feel about logos. Don't buy the knife.

$180 or 180+120=$300 for a new factory knife design with no reputation.
Ok, I wasn't going to get involved but I've gotta call you out on some of these comments. There's too much "wrong" in what you've said to let it stand as valid info. No reputation? Serious? So, you've never handled a Reate? Their reputation precedes them. If you can get a hold of one, I highly recommend it. They make some of the best production knives in the business. The knife seems a bargain given the high level of production Reate delivers. This would land the Orca as the cheapest Reate since the Hills and D9 were first available.
It's a "belt and suspenders knife" with thumb studs and flipper...Why?
Because some people, like me, enjoy multiple options for opening a folder. Sometimes its best to not flip your knife open in a blur and lock solidly with a "thunk" when in the workplace. Options are good. Sorry, but there doesn't appear to be a place to apply a zip tie.
It's a brick at ~5oz and it's made out of 20th century steel.
Right...RWL34 is last century steel? Dude, you must own a light saber! 4.75oz is a brick for a 3.5" blade with full liners? Are you just upset about everything in general today?
Massdrop is about marketing hype more than anything else.
Please detail how many MD developed knives you've purchased? You're opinion is wrong and could use some updating. I agree that we're in a sticky situation discussing MD knives with their forum status in question, but to deny they've brought some of the best new knives to market over the last year and a half is terribly uninformed.

Last edited:
We know how you feel about logos. Don't buy the knife.

Definately not buying the knife and dont care if you know how I feel about the logo. I'll say it every time these come out on a thread till they want to be a vendor here which they have clearly chosen not to be. Md doesnt make knives so they are just hype.

Definately not buying the knife and dont care if you know how I feel about the logo. I'll say it every time these come out on a thread till they want to be a vendor here which they have clearly chosen not to be. Md doesnt make knives so they are just hype.
I don't think Massdrop's business decisions have any bearing on the quality of knives they develop, but that's why opinions are just opinions. It's an unfortunate situation that I hope finds a resolution but it doesn't make the knives "hype"...in my opinion. Enjoy your knives.

Yeah because this is the setting in which your "comments" have a real impact. You're making a difference.

I can see it now, Mass Drop reading through every single Bladeforums mention of them, elated with the publicity, yet, terrified of the BF Crusader, Yo Mama, whom mentions their negligence every chance he gets. Because he's a true troll. I mean concerned forumite.

You should also go ahead and flame all of the other threads pertaining to makers that aren't supporting Bladeforums, which amount to A LOT.

Thank goodness we have you!

A Reate-built knife with marbled CF and Moku-Ti for $300 is tempting. And I've always been impressed with Eric Ochs's designs, though his knives all seem to be $1000+.

I have two of the Massdrop/Ferrum Forge collaborations, the Gent and the Crux, and they're both outstanding in function, quality and value. They were built by WE, and I expect Reate can do at least as well with this design.

I always buy a knife with the intention to use it, but my tendency to baby a given knife is in proportion to its cost and rarity. One nice thing about getting high-quality knives at reasonable prices is that I don't hesitate to use them.

I love that blade shape, but I'm not a fan of the milled clip at all. This seems like a good way to try a Reate-made knife relatively cheaply, though.

Yeah because this is the setting in which your "comments" have a real impact. You're making a difference.

I can see it now, Mass Drop reading through every single Bladeforums mention of them, elated with the publicity, yet, terrified of the BF Crusader, Yo Mama, whom mentions their negligence every chance he gets. Because he's a true troll. I mean concerned forumite.

You should also go ahead and flame all of the other threads pertaining to makers that aren't supporting Bladeforums, which amount to A LOT.

Thank goodness we have you!

You really want to jump to personal attacks? That's just not the samurai way.

I don't think Massdrop's business decisions have any bearing on the quality of knives they develop, but that's why opinions are just opinions. It's an unfortunate situation that I hope finds a resolution but it doesn't make the knives "hype"...in my opinion. Enjoy your knives.

Good response and respectful. Thank you.

Not everyone who has a differing opinion and states it is a troll. I see that far too often here.

On topic though, maybe someone can inform me what is the purpose of MD in these knife releases when another company like Reate is doing the mfg? I'm behind on MD, my apologies!

I guess what I'm asking is why doesn't Ochs just do a collab with Reate? I've seen other makers do it

Not everyone who has a differing opinion and states it is a troll. I see that far too often here.

On topic though, maybe someone can inform me what is the purpose of MD in these knife releases when another company like Reate is doing the mfg? I'm behind on MD, my apologies!
From what I've seen, Massdrop seems to generate ideas for projects on their own as well as through polls and discussions, getting input from customers. They appear to connect with knifemakers and coordinate between the designers and the manufacturers. Massdrop sells the knives and provides customer service.

For the Orca, their website has interesting posts from both Jonas of Massdrop and Eric Ochs describing the process for this collaboration. From Eric's description, he redesigned his established Orca platform for the project and was very involved along the way, evaluating prototypes and getting personal input on them from other knifemakers. He said he's wanted to make a quality production version knife, and I guess this kind of project allows that to happen.

I guess what I'm asking is why doesn't Ochs just do a collab with Reate? I've seen other makers do it

Because MD commissioned (or arranged) the run like a dealer exclusive? Less risk for Reate.

That's a good question and I think the answer might be a little different for each knife developed.

Many of the smaller designers could never pre-sell enough of a new model to contract with a manufacturer like Reate to produce the minimum 600 or 1200 units. Many of the designers wouldn't want to get involved in the import process required to bring in knives from overseas. In these instances, Massdrop is acting as a distributor/middleman/financier. They play an important role but are still essentially a vendor. They guarantee a certain number of units are pre-sold at a price that helps the knives move. I'm not certain that the Swartz Perpetua or the Ochs Orca would exist without MD in the middle.

Sometimes their role isn't as vital, but still as a vendor. The Bharucha Prism already existed as the Reate Baby Machine but MD helped to bring a different version of the knife to market. The Prism was more appealing to me because of the price and reduced weight. Likewise with Bob Terzuola's Compact Tactical Folder. I can't imagine spending the money required to get an ACTF so the CTF really resonated with me. Probably neither of these options would exist without a company like MD involved. Again, they're primarily a vendor but also a facilitator.

Sometimes Massdrop has a more important role. They have a stable of knife knuts who offer feedback on proposed designs and prototypes. More than once, due to MD member feedback, changes have been made to either the function or style of a knife before it went into production. It's in cases like this that MD really blurs the lines between vendor and designer. I see them more as a "Knife Developer" than a simple vendor in these cases.

Anyway, there's my take on it. It's a complicated subject and it would be made entirely simple if MD would pony up for a Vendor level membership!:confused:

Yep. My understanding is that, by including the price, even without a link....its a deal spot.

You both have opinions. Both are welcome. No reason to castrate if you don't agree.

Surely, but why would one feel the need to "say it every time these come out on a thread till they want to be a vendor here which they have clearly chosen not to be."

IMO, that's trolling. I don't believe BF is in need of vendor only vigilante, but that's my opinion. If you aren't contributing something of value, just skip right on by the post.

The fact is that all makers of knives support Bladeforums, whether that be directly or indirectly, by generating a product that warrants enthusiasm, ergo, creating enthusiasts. My favorite maker is a member here, not a paid one, and here I am, with a gold membership.

ON TOPIC - Not a huge fan of liner locks, but the knife looks great. Happy to see the design alive and well, I've always liked it.

Back