The Parliament Of The Olamic Owls Is Now In Session

I spoke with Ilya a few weeks back, not sure if you all have seen the non locking knife with the bottle opener... I think more of a piece to throw in with your beach or glamping gear.
Also heard maybe a Bowie in the works. Ilya always seems to have a few exploratory angles going at any given time, so it's never long before we see some changes and additions.
One thing I have complete silence on is anything in MagnaCut. I think it's been around now long enough that we can be pretty confident it's no worse than our favorite current steels, and I would guess most of us like to try new stuff even if it's somewhat of a lateral move. I'm definitely curious to see how it sharpens and things like if it holds a mirror polish at least as well as 20CV. Been a bit partial to the mirror edges lately. Any of you go steeper than the 18-20° per side that Olamic says we shouldn't go beyond? Not sure if they are just being conservative or if you run into issues with steeper angles, but I definitely have more use for them in daily life.

Wow that's some great information. Most of mine that have been sharpened are at 18°. I did one at 17° ( M390 ) and have not had a problem.
When you mentioned Bowie did you mean a fixed blade? I have a folder with a Bowie blade in S90v.
A fixed blade would be sweet.View attachment 1916210

Last edited:
Definitely a folder, and it must be a different shaped bowie because I know they offer a bowie now. I was a little confused to be honest, when I sent it in and they mentioned a new shape blade that he wanted to try, and I asked if I could have my drop point back eventually (I can't imagine preferring the bowie shape, but I have no problem trying it) and he decided just to put a new drop point on and not let me test it. No idea what that means and I never saw a picture of the blade so it might have just been a concept Ilya was toying with.
The Bowie shape they use doesn't have the typical curve. I don't look at social media at all or their page much, and their page looks like pics from 2019-2020, but still some great stuff including a fixed blade:

Pics from their page:

1661962996990.png
1661963023804.png

If I ever got another one, I might consider a flame Ti , don't see many of these I guess because there's so much to offer these seem plain by comparison:

You all have seen the mokume fixed blades, right? They are ridiculously beautiful....

Attachments

• 247 flamed ti.jpg
    247 flamed ti.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1
Definitely a folder, and it must be a different shaped bowie because I know they offer a bowie now. I was a little confused to be honest, when I sent it in and they mentioned a new shape blade that he wanted to try, and I asked if I could have my drop point back eventually (I can't imagine preferring the bowie shape, but I have no problem trying it) and he decided just to put a new drop point on and not let me test it. No idea what that means and I never saw a picture of the blade so it might have just been a concept Ilya was toying with.
The Bowie shape they use doesn't have the typical curve. I don't look at social media at all or their page much, and their page looks like pics from 2019-2020, but still some great stuff including a fixed blade:

Pics from their page:

View attachment 1916447
View attachment 1916448

If I ever got another one, I might consider a flame Ti , don't see many of these I guess because there's so much to offer these seem plain by comparison:

You all have seen the mokume fixed blades, right? They are ridiculously beautiful....

I went back to text with Ilya and saw he mentioned a Suna blade he was working on at the time. This was late July.
Those mokume blades are sweet but would end up in a shadowbox at my house.

I just looked up Suna on Olamic and apparently there are some up for sale at a reasonable price on a third party site.Not sure f we are allowed to link. Looks real to me, I don't know the reputation of this particular site. I wasn't aware there were Olamic Suna damascus for sale even on their site.
I thought about the mokume as safe queen, but I never had a problem using damascus for field dressing or food prep or other daily use. Does mokume stain easy? Scratches are a given but it is not like it's anodized. Should be ok unless mokume is totally different. I asked him about mokume blades in a Wayfarer. I don't think I have seen this yet but I would love to try it.

Ilya does like challenges..he may do a prototype for you. I have only stumped him twice with build requests, causing me to change designs.
For my flamed ti, I emphasized that I did not want stripes. I asked for a random pattern to be applied.

Ilya does like challenges..he may do a prototype for you. I have only stumped him twice with build requests, causing me to change designs.
For my flamed ti, I emphasized that I did not want stripes. I asked for a random pattern to be applied.
Ps. Did my design response answer your initial request?

I just saw the suna blade on retail site and like it. The blade shape reminds me of a purist/ drop point.

Tell me about this sexy little number...
I just saw the suna blade on retail site and like it. The blade shape reminds me of a purist/ drop point.
On Olamic's?

Attachments

• Whatristhis.jpg
    Whatristhis.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
Back