The practice of loaning knives

Would you loan a knife to someone?

• Total voters
It comes down to who you regard as friends.
My good friends would not do the wrong thing by me.
If they misuse the knife or do not give it back then you need to rethink who you lend knives to

I would rather not lend a knife to friends, because I like the idea of retaining them as friends. The damage isn’t usually malicious. It results from people who are absolutely clueless about knives and how they are used. Typical offenses are prying, using them as screwdrivers, cutting against a hard surface, and injuring themselves.

N2s

As much as people talk about "you break it you buy it", I have never actually seen it play out that way. It's not like you can force someone to pay for the item that they broke.

do you hang out with a lot of millennials?

I have a little knife library in front of my house. People can come by and grad tactical ones or traditionals to peel and apple or other options. Going well so far.
I would expect your library to be defunct within a week....for lack of knives..

Short term ... all the time, every one who knows me knows there's a knife.

Most recently a girl at work wanted a knife to cut up a piece of fruit or vegetable for lunch.
She was impressed with the knife.

No one has asked for a long term loan.
Really there's not much reason to, buy a knife if you want one.

I have some I don't really use I wouldn't mind giving out or selling for like 10$ to a friend.

I don’t loan out my knives anymore, too many have come back to me needing their edge tuned up.
I will say I’m surprised how many members carry a “beater” just to loan out. My pockets are already full, I’m not adding another knife just because someone else isn’t smart enough to carry their own.

I don’t loan out my knives anymore, too many have come back to me needing their edge tuned up.
I will say I’m surprised how many members carry a “beater” just to loan out. My pockets are already full, I’m not adding another knife just because someone else isn’t smart enough to carry their own.

An extra slip joint isn't too bad for a pocket. I keep my Buck 301 in my right front pocket, and my slip joint 'loaner' in my left front pocket.

An extra slip joint isn't too bad for a pocket. I keep my Buck 301 in my right front pocket, and my slip joint 'loaner' in my left front pocket.
Between keys, SAK, another folder, flashlight and a can of chew I’m pretty much maxed out. Trying to kick the chewing tobacco, but that’s easier said than done.

It depends who it is and if it is just temporary. My slip joint is usually my loaner in a work situation. A SAK SA1 or such is a good useful knife and inexpensive.

I lent some dude at work 5 or 10 bucks once or twice as he was a perpetual down on his luck type. He didn't pay it back. I figured it only cost me 10 bucks to find out who he was. I figure the same with a SAK or RR.

Between keys, SAK, another folder, flashlight and a can of chew I’m pretty much maxed out. Trying to kick the chewing tobacco, but that’s easier said than done.

I either wear a leather vest or military camies shirt that have extra pockets. I never liked chewing tobacco much. I liked to dip snuff but it was turning my gums grey. So I stopped dipping.

It depends who it is and if it is just temporary. My slip joint is usually my loaner in a work situation. A SAK SA1 or such is a good useful knife and inexpensive.

I lent some dude at work 5 or 10 bucks once or twice as he was a perpetual down on his luck type. He didn't pay it back. I figured it only cost me 10 bucks to find out who he was. I figure the same with a SAK or RR.

Yep, $10 is a small price to pay to see the true character of a man.

To a coworker wanting it long enough to cut an apple or a small pizza into slices in the break room? Sure. They can do that, I don't like people touching my food either. To a coworker wanting to use it to saw through metal pallet strapping because they were too lazy to go get the cutters? Nope.
So my answer is "with reservations". Yes, you can use it for something I know it can do with a reliable certainty of being returned undamaged and I'll be standing there watching. No, you cannot borrow it for a few days or a hunting trip or "just in case that guy gets stupid" at the pub or anything else because there are things called "stores" and surprisingly, they sell knives if you simply give them some of your very own money.

Last edited:
Did you tell him that he almost bought it even if he didn't want to?

I just took it from him and cleaned it up. He could not afford it anyways. And let's just say the alternative would not have been nice. He got all pissy about me being a jerk and I just moved on and never associated with him again. I seen his character the very second he thought it was a good idea to disrespect another persons stuff. Lesson learned I guess. I blame myself for letting him handle it in the first place. Now I just tell people to go to Wall Mart or buy their own.

Last edited:
Back