The return to SNARKdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the trd model tacoma comes with their version cold air intake.... But i don't think my SR5 has it.

Really I'll prolly just drop a k&n filter in there... I don't expect any changes except being able to clean the filter.

I drive on dirt and in mud a lot... I vaguely remember reading something about cold air intake being better for street driving... I could be mistaken but i thought that sucked up dirt or some crap lol.

Obviously not mechanically inclined haha.

People with New Tacomas are saying the tranny and the differential fluid is low and the u joints need greased... Straight from the factory.... But i have no idea how to do any of that. :D

I'll seek a real mechanic... Telling the stealership ended up giving me a headache... They wouldn't even check it... They just said "we wouldn't send trucks out with improper fluid levels"... Yet everyone on the board keeps reporting theirs as low.

No dipstick for either... And none of my joints are shaped like a U. :)

Took some limbs off some plums and cherry trees. They still needed to be trimmed down and stacked, so I took the opportunity to have a short chop off.

Entering the arena:

10 strikes, the 4 on the left, 9 on the right.

Hatchet (500 grams), clean through on the tenth strike:

Dito for the 21 (I put the branches next to each other for the pic)

Thicker log, 10 strikes. The 4 left, 9 right

Hatchet on top, the 21 created the bottom cutout. On top of a knot too, that might have influenced something.

Finished it off with the 21. Maybe we ought to call it 'The Beaver'...

The coating of the 21 is holding up fine, and it doesn't catch any dirt. Good stuff... Here's all 3 of 'em.

Spring is in the air!

Nothing major, no conclusions drawn so not really thread worthy I guess. In the Snark it goes. Hope you liked it. Gotta say I really, really love the 4. It and the 9 don't wear you out like the 21 or the hatchet do, and they still do a pretty fine job, with the 4 having a steeper learning curve (and I'm definitely still learning), but when you get those snap cuts right... Oh my...

Ya sit on the shitter with the trash can in ur lap...gah, wtf are y'all thinkin!

I think the trd model tacoma comes with their version cold air intake.... But i don't think my SR5 has it.

Really I'll prolly just drop a k&n filter in there... I don't expect any changes except being able to clean the filter.

I drive on dirt and in mud a lot... I vaguely remember reading something about cold air intake being better for street driving... I could be mistaken but i thought that sucked up dirt or some crap lol.

Obviously not mechanically inclined haha.

People with New Tacomas are saying the tranny and the differential fluid is low and the u joints need greased... Straight from the factory.... But i have no idea how to do any of that. :D

I'll seek a real mechanic... Telling the stealership ended up giving me a headache... They wouldn't even check it... They just said "we wouldn't send trucks out with improper fluid levels"... Yet everyone on the board keeps reporting theirs as low.

No dipstick for either... And none of my joints are shaped like a U. :)

The intake itself doesn't care what road you're driving on. However the K&N filter is a bad idea in dusty areas. They flow better because they don't filter as well. Used to live in a rural farm town at a quick lube and saw a lot of K&N filters on diesel trucks and dust in the airbox behind the filters. It might work alright for you but you have to clean and oil the thing weekly. I just don't use them at all because I don't feel like taking care of them and I'm paranoid about what might be getting past them.

Most automatic trannys have a red dipstick along the firewall, usually on the passenger side but not always. I have seen a few that didn't have any at all but it was uncommon 10 years ago when checking them was my job. Diffs have plugs on them you take out with a wrench. Take the plug out and stick your finger in, the fluid should be right up to the hole and look more or less like new engine oil. It's not engine oil though so don't top it off with that. U-joints are on the drive shafts and are probably the sealed variety that don't need greasing but that could go either way. There's always youtube if you want to see what stuff is and how to check it.

I should probably expand more on my personal experience. There were literally farms in every direction for miles and miles and the plowing and wind kicks up a lot of dust and dirt. Occasionally there were some thick dust storms and at least once there was an isolated spot across the highway with zero visibility for several minuets. Like the thickest fog you ever drove through but brown. So I guess on the extreme end of things for airborne dirt and such. But if you drive on dirt roads a lot then that's probably not far off. Then again unless you're following someone you're probably not getting that in the intake.

Last edited:
I had a K&N on my old Pontiac and never had a problem with it being dirty past the filter. You do have to stay up on cleaning / oiling them though. I've read a lot about people saying they let dirt into the engine and it makes sense considering more air flow = larger opening for dirt to get through but I've never seen anyone with engine trouble directly linked to the k&n filter. Worked fine for me but if you're driving on dirt dusty road it may not be a good idea unless you want to increase the cleaning schedule.

Today sucked. I went out to my truck after lunch and I had blown a radiator hose and every bit of coolant in my truck it leaked out. I got a friend of mine to take me and we went to every single part store in town and not a single one had the piece I needed for my truck, I was able to jury rig well enough that I could fill the radiator and get home after school. the part should come in tomorrow sometime

Today sucked. I went out to my truck after lunch and I had blown a radiator hose and every bit of coolant in my truck it leaked out. I got a friend of mine to take me and we went to every single part store in town and not a single one had the piece I needed for my truck, I was able to jury rig well enough that I could fill the radiator and get home after school. the part should come in tomorrow sometime

If I had a dollar for every time I needed a ride to the parts store, I could have the truck overhauled completely and not need rides to the parts store.

Going to a knife show tomorrow, just in case I see some rare Beckers, what do things like a BK77 or other special editions (wasn't there a special 10?) normally go for?

Would you believe that not a single "after-market" truck store in central Texas carries a receiver hitch for a 2005 Dodge IN STOCK? snark

The people I went with ordered it this afternoon and it'll be in Monday. So much for being able to get that 16 tons of pavers Monday afternoon. I gotta call the guy I'm getting them from and delay until Thursday to start picking them up because Tuesday has meetings and Wednesday is my Master Gardener class. Just 5 more classes and I'll be a card carrying "Texas Master Gardener".

I'm finally having to spring for a receiver hitch because I can't locate a 2-5/16 ball hitch that has a shank small enough to fit through the stock Dodge bumper AND long enough to spin the nut on the shank. The smallest shank that was long enough that I found was 1" and the stupid bumper hole is like 61/64". The dump bed trailer I can use needs a 2-5/16" ball.

Went on a nice ride through WV in my Jeep today.. More pics in the Jeep thread.

8c3ppR9.jpg

Looks like Nuto started another GAW thread.... I like his approach... I'm thinking of starting several too... The winner will be the first person who realizes I'm not actually giving away anything. :D

-snark

I'm in on most of 'em....but I was thinkin' that same thing. Not that I actually care or think I'll win, but.....he has been also known to put things in the mail on occasion. I just wish I knew WTF he was sayin' sometimes.

Would you believe that not a single "after-market" truck store in central Texas carries a receiver hitch for a 2005 Dodge IN STOCK? snark

The people I went with ordered it this afternoon and it'll be in Monday. So much for being able to get that 16 tons of pavers Monday afternoon. I gotta call the guy I'm getting them from and delay until Thursday to start picking them up because Tuesday has meetings and Wednesday is my Master Gardener class. Just 5 more classes and I'll be a card carrying "Texas Master Gardener".

I'm finally having to spring for a receiver hitch because I can't locate a 2-5/16 ball hitch that has a shank small enough to fit through the stock Dodge bumper AND long enough to spin the nut on the shank. The smallest shank that was long enough that I found was 1" and the stupid bumper hole is like 61/64". The dump bed trailer I can use needs a 2-5/16" ball.

I'm not surprised nobody had a hitch for a 10 year old truck, but I am kinda surprised it didn't already have one. Did you check muffler shops? most of them do hitches and various welding since they have all the equipment already.

The 10 y.o. truck didn't have one already because I never had the need for one. I just had a 1-1/4", a 1-7/8" and a 2" ball in the 3 hitch holes in the bumper. That covered all trailer tongue hitch sizes on my 9 trailers. Only my WaveRunner trailer required the 1-1/4" ball. The other 2 covered all the others.

One of my cousins has about 16 tons of pavers just sitting there not being used. His wife changed her mind about what she wanted for the patio after he had gotten them. He came over to do some electrical work and saw what I was doing to the patio and he asked if I wanted them (FOR FREE:D:D:D). Being of frugal Wendish peasant stock, I of course said "Yes". He happens to have a dump bed trailer that I can use, but it has a 2-5/16" tongue. Since I can't find a 2-5/16" ball that will fit a 2005 Dodge bumper, I'm finally gonna add a receiver hitch.

Nope, didn't even think about a muffler shop. I haven't needed to have a muffler replaced since 1997 when I replaced the muffler on my old 1985 Dodge D1500.

I thought a reciver hitch was standard equipment on trucks for the last 10 or 15 years but I've never owned one less than 20 years old so I wouldn't know.

I've seen places that wouldn't even rent trailers unless you had a reciver hitch. Which is rediculous because step bumpers exist so you have a place to mount a ball.

Might be standard now, but my 98 Tahoe and the 06 Dodge didn't. A friend's 00 Denali had one, but then I think she got every bell and whistle possible.

My 07 SV6 Montana has a hitch :D I pretend its a truck sometimes. I've taken the seats out and loaded it up with about 2500lbs of patio stones before. Used it to toe snowmobiles ect :D Told the wife when we're done with it, I'm getting an actual truck haha.

Gotta say I really, really love the 4. It and the 9 don't wear you out like the 21 or the hatchet do, and they still do a pretty fine job, with the 4 having a steeper learning curve (and I'm definitely still learning), but when you get those snap cuts right... Oh my...

I concur wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back