The " Roosters " are crowing for the " Farmers"

That's cool research to ID the owner.....for some reason I imagined the potential owner would be a man though.

Yes, I would of thought so too! Back then about that time though Women were all about equality and out making a stand for themselves. Michell’s had a nursery in upstate NY. Plenty of need for that main Jack blade profile. Maybe!

Russell

More modest than some of the antiques and ancients but this is a knife of great import to me. Here in Europe, I'd never heard of or come across this pattern until Lyle initiated this thread and once casting eyes on it I was smitten as if by a Siren ;) Then I was able to get hold of some of his and Charlie's SFOs of the Farmer's Jack together with a tidy Tidioute version from the Exchange.

This Lick Creek has become a very beautiful knife with use and as a keen but incompetent gardener it's a pattern that's with me a lot, moreover, it is a very practical carry even in winter with gloves. Practicalities aside it's the reverie and fantasy it gives me - it's a step back in time as if by magic - It's a fine Stag Farmer's Jack I have in my hand with Cutlers to Her/His Majesty on the tang! It's early c20th and I'm in a garden taking cuttings doing works in that Eden before Europe descended into a pointless atrocity called WW 1 an unnecessary Continental Civil War that gave birth to bloodlust revolutions and later horrors. So, a time of tranquility and safety, something we could do with now too.

If my knife collection vanished (horror!) or I could only keep one, it's this. It gives me a wonderful feeling to use and handle this odd yet beautiful pattern.

wJj3HTz.jpg

Great thoughts Will. That was a labor of love to me and finding these still is. I am currently on the hunt again and still feel the exhilaration when seeing a new one of these curvy beauties, irregardless of their condition .

I don’t know how many relatives were involved in the different operations. Michells was large in time and is still in operation, the M at the end of the monogram seemed rather obvious choice as Michell.

Got a GEC hall of fame collection going Travis. E4246B77-1CC2-4360-A217-42B228E28DC0.jpeg

I tried to trade or buy this one pictured above the dark Saynor . Kennedy Knives owner Gary gifted it me, and I’m very, very grateful for a mark I didn’t have.

3 5/8” is on the smaller side for this pattern and this is a post WWII rendition of Taylor’s Eye Witness .

72F8DD1F-09DE-431F-BE2B-6A5854F24D4A.jpeg There’s a little discussion about Camillus and Sears’ Wilbert brand . Here’s what I found:

All are Camillus made “roosters”(flat bladed, modified secondary and unusual 1/2 stop on the pruning blade). All have identical pin placement, frames , shields ( except the one with the distinctive Camillus shield), and the unusually thick liners.
From left to right :

Pick bone- Wilbert
Pick bone -Wilbert
Jigged bone - A Fields
Black composition-A Fields
Jigged bone- ( practically identical to Camillus below)-
Cutsure K&B Hardware Cincinnati Ohio
Jigged bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Black composition- Camillus

Last edited:
View attachment 1528303 There’s a little discussion about Camillus and Sears’ Wilbert brand . Here’s what I found:

All are Camillus made “roosters”(flat bladed, modified secondary and unusual 1/2 stop on the pruning blade). All have identical pin placement, frames , shields ( except the one with the distinctive Camillus shield), and the unusually thick liners.
From left to right :

Pick bone- Wilbert
Pick bone -Wilbert
Jigged bone - A Fields
Black composition-A Fields
Jigged bone- ( practically identical to Camillus below)-
Cutsure K&B Hardware Cincinnati Ohio
Jigged bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Pick bone- Camillus
Black composition- Camillus
Nice comparison shot, Lyle!! :thumbsup:
(Yes, I am looking - - - - - finally!!:rolleyes:)

Lyle, The Camillus Roosters you have shown in the Photo along with explanation of Maker -my friend Thank you for this, I am always gathering Sears information - so you got my attention, are any of the Camillus Made Knives stamped High Carbon Steel or perhaps a bit unlikely to have the Forged in USA or Made In USA?
The Wilbert Knives - what the Stamping on those Knives Please Lyle, because if they are stamped Wilbert - then they were specifically made for Sears - Wilbert being a Sears owned Brand Name.

Many Thanks in advance
Duncan

Lyle, The Camillus Roosters you have shown in the Photo along with explanation of Maker -my friend Thank you for this, I am always gathering Sears information - so you got my attention, are any of the Camillus Made Knives stamped High Carbon Steel or perhaps a bit unlikely to have the Forged in USA or Made In USA?
The Wilbert Knives - what the Stamping on those Knives Please Lyle, because if they are stamped Wilbert - then they were specifically made for Sears - Wilbert being a Sears owned Brand Name.

Many Thanks in advance
Duncan
Yes ,I know Wilbert is Sears.These Camillus made knives are marked Wilbert.Here's the stamp on each:Wilbert 1117.jpg Wilbert rooster  536.jpg

Hey there Lyle, Hey...please don't get me wrong with the way I worded my questions to you my friend, I'm certainly not trying to tell you anything, thats just me thinking out loud and was pleased to see you mention the Wilbert with your knives, as I have never noticed Wilbert Farmers roosters before, and its another notch on the sears Belt!
Many thanks for this Lyle, if you don't mind- could I document your last two posts?

Oh man- Lyle I have been going through some very bad pain with my Hip and lower back- Stretches my friend will make your life better as long as you find the right stretch and ease into it- its amazing what relief and strengthening you get from it!

Back