The Silence of The Lambsfoot

Interesting question. A few folks have modded other blades into Lambsfoot blades, or had them modded professionally. They often don't look quite right in my opinion. A common problem seems to be the loss of the nail-nick. Of course, they also mean the 'loss' of what may be a perfectly good knife. If you decide to go down this road, you'd be well-advised to choose your 'donor knife' carefully :) I wouldn't buy a knife from Wright's again either, but there are other options available, and as the popularity of the pattern increases, we'll hopefully see more made in the US, and possibly elsewhere :thumbsup:

I think this Outdoor Edge knife has been discontinued (though there seem to be plenty still around). While it has a parallel edge and spine, it was sold in the UK as a Lambsfoot (though not elsewhere, so far as I know), and might make an inexpensive project :thumbsup:

41GggnZJivL._AC_SX466_.jpg
I don't think this Outdoor Edge knife was very popular in the states, I couldn't find a single one but some of the Rough Ryder knives might be an inexpensive alternative for a "let's see if it works" project. There is one A. Wrights Lambsfoot I bought a few days ago and the seller will not accept returns unless there is some gross manufacturing defect so I'm sort of stuck with it. I also have a Joseph Rodgers that should arrive in the next couple of days. I hope you'll find another manufacturer and would like to be part of that run, should it happen. My other point of dislike is that most of the other companies are using stainless steel. I prefer carbon/high carbon blades on my traditional knives.

I don't think this Outdoor Edge knife was very popular in the states, I couldn't find a single one but some of the Rough Ryder knives might be an inexpensive alternative for a "let's see if it works" project. There is one A. Wrights Lambsfoot I bought a few days ago and the seller will not accept returns unless there is some gross manufacturing defect so I'm sort of stuck with it. I also have a Joseph Rodgers that should arrive in the next couple of days. I hope you'll find another manufacturer and would like to be part of that run, should it happen. My other point of dislike is that most of the other companies are using stainless steel. I prefer carbon/high carbon blades on my traditional knives.

I bought a few to give to the kids of friends, as the pull wasn't too heavy on them. There's also the Schrade Landshark, though it has a rather odd handle. If the AW doesn't have a 'gross manufacturing defect' you got lucky! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I am waiting for them, the delivery times from England have increased considerably.
I'll let you know when I have them.

I imagine so, we're in lockdown here, and the posties are struggling. I hope you get lucky :thumbsup: It's about a year since I last picked up any from the factory, which were supposed to have been made to a higher standard. Half the blades were off-centre, and the edges were absolutely terrible o_O :thumbsdown:

ePUF1Q2.jpg

0x4Dv0n.jpg

That first photo is horrifying, Jack!! :eek:
I could have done better sharpening that on the sidewalk pavement!!:(:rolleyes:

I think it's the worst edge I've ever seen on a new knife Charlie, absolutely ruined the blade. The lower knife was actually a sample, and I had to use a pair of pliers to get the blade open! o_O

I made my first lambsfoot out of a swayback pruner. It went fine till I got to the nail-nick, which turned out more of a thumb-pad. If I ever find it again, maybe I'll jig the rest of the blade and pretend I meant to do that.

I think it's the worst edge I've ever seen on a new knife Charlie, absolutely ruined the blade. The lower knife was actually a sample, and I had to use a pair of pliers to get the blade open! o_O
The saga gets worse! At least it was just a sample!? Did the cutler not test it??:mad: Maybe he has a tempered steel prosthetic thumb??:p(bad joke):rolleyes:

I am theorizing that the first picture was of a blade used to show apprentices how not to grind and somehow it was released to the public..... either that or the person doing the grind is in extreme need of sight aides. In any case, I received my A. Wrights and the grind isn't too far off from the one in Jack Black Jack Black 's first picture. Conclusion: bad day at the grinding wheel. I will set it up on my Wicked Edge system and rectify the edge. I will post a picture after I am done fixing the edge. The pull is very stiff, more than others even the Schatt & Morgan trapper which held the top "bear trap" position in my small collection.

The saga gets worse! At least it was just a sample!? Did the cutler not test it??:mad: Maybe he has a tempered steel prosthetic thumb??:p(bad joke):rolleyes:

A sample I paid for, that could have led to another big order for them o_O I didn't bother proceeding when I saw the way things had gone at Wright's. I don't think the guy who put that edge on is even a cutler, I had only ever seen him doing odd jobs around the place in the past :thumbsdown:

I am theorizing that the first picture was of a blade used to show apprentices how not to grind and somehow it was released to the public..... either that or the person doing the grind is in extreme need of sight aides. In any case, I received my A. Wrights and the grind isn't too far off from the one in Jack Black Jack Black 's first picture. Conclusion: bad day at the grinding wheel. I will set it up on my Wicked Edge system and rectify the edge. I will post a picture after I am done fixing the edge. The pull is very stiff, more than others even the Schatt & Morgan trapper which held the top "bear trap" position in my small collection.

Sorry to hear you got a stinker buddy! o_O You should take 'before' and 'after' pics :thumbsup:

A sample I paid for, that could have led to another big order for them o_O I didn't bother proceeding when I saw the way things had gone at Wright's. I don't think the guy who put that edge on is even a cutler, I had only ever seen him doing odd jobs around the place in the past :thumbsdown:
Seems funny to buy a company when you have so little interest in the product. Maybe he was hoping to sell the name on for a quick profit.
Almost 5:30 and just darkening.
0vBFSce.jpg

It actually wasn't above freezing this afternoon, but the sun did come out.

Seems funny to buy a company when you have so little interest in the product. Maybe he was hoping to sell the name on for a quick profit.
Almost 5:30 and just darkening.
0vBFSce.jpg

It actually wasn't above freezing this afternoon, but the sun did come out.

I think it was cheap, some stock, a small amount of basic machinery, 2 employees, a questionable reputation, being quickly ruined o_O I doubt the name is worth anything, only goes back to 1947, and old Sheffield names can be had for peanuts :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I think it was cheap, some stock, a small amount of basic machinery, 2 employees, a questionable reputation, being quickly ruined o_O I doubt the name is worth anything, only goes back to 1947, and old Sheffield names can be had for peanuts :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
You may have mentioned it before, Jack; was the building included when it sold?? Often real estate figures heavily into such deals!

You may have mentioned it before, Jack; was the building included when it sold?? Often real estate figures heavily into such deals!

No Charlie, the building wasn't included in the deal.

I see a few lamb foot offerings with a "Made in Sheffield" stamp on the tang and blades are 1085 carbon steel. There is no mention of a manufacturer. Any idea who makes these knives?

I see a few lamb foot offerings with a "Made in Sheffield" stamp on the tang and blades are 1085 carbon steel. There is no mention of a manufacturer. Any idea who makes these knives?

They're made by Wright's, and the steel is actually 1075 :thumbsup:

They're made by Wright's, and the steel is actually 1075 :thumbsup:
Of course they are:(. I'd much rather buy a Schrade Land Shark, I know they're made in China and I will not expect much of them. Looking at the Wright I received yesterday, Some of the chinese made knives have better fit and finish.

Of course they are:(. I'd much rather buy a Schrade Land Shark, I know they're made in China and I will not expect much of them. Looking at the Wright I received yesterday, Some of the chinese made knives have better fit and finish.

My first suspicion that TEW were having knives made in China was the consistent fit and finish! o_O

Back