The Strange Tyranny of the Green Box

Nasty said:
Wow! Josh...you're a regular green thumb, ain'cha?

Nah, just an unrepentant rep whore :D I'm maxed out again. Ferguson and Kismet ended up with another cactus, lol. Hit a bunch of others. If you leave me rep, please include your screen name so I can return the favor. Sometimes I can guess from the comment, but other times, it's not so easy.

Interesting information I found on vbulletin.com

Rep points are affected in a complicated way....

* Register Date Factor - longer registered = more power
* Post Count Factor - more posts = more power
* Reputation Point Factor - more reputation points = more power

green square = positive
red square = negative
gray square = user who gave it didn't have enough "power" to affect rating

going out on a limb here...

What if this system had been designed by Kismet?

....it would probably have worked this way:

Each person starts with 100 rep points. When you give someone points, it takes away from yours. You can only give out what you have.

One would not strive to accumulate, but rather, to empty it out.

There are a few others on this forum who feel this way...Bill included....no need to name other names - they know who they are. ;)

me?

I'm just happy with my "green".....

Green is Good,
Wood is Good,
Wood is Green

One eternal round

..piece of wood.

:D :eek: :p

(hope munk sees this one) :p

Nasty said:
I guess from this and Josh's comment, I need to sign my waterings...
Yeah...we did that all the time in the snow as kids...

:eek:

oh....we did those too....and then added "halos"....

:D :eek: :p

Dan, I saw it, and was startled. I couldn't believe you'd broken into zen poetry.

Now, I'm not being funny, but you're right. And I like simple things like that.

Trust wood.

munk

Daniel Koster said:
going out on a limb here...

What if this system had been designed by Kismet?

....it would probably have worked this way:

Each person starts with 100 rep points. When you give someone points, it takes away from yours. You can only give out what you have.

One would not strive to accumulate, but rather, to empty it out.

There are a few others on this forum who feel this way...Bill included....no need to name other names - they know who they are. ;)

I call that the "dipper theory." Imagine everyone walking through life with a bucket and a dipper. When you begin your journey, your bucket is half-full of water.

Some people measure success by the amount of water they can accrue from others. They would feel the need to go through the world using their dipper to remove a little water from everyone they met, thus improving their "standing." But in a room full of such people, nobody improves, everyone simply strives as hard as they can to keep from losing.

Others would use their dipper to add a little water to the bucket of everyone they meet, thus improving society at their expense. When a group of these people meet, nobody loses, all are improved.

Maybe it works with rep points, too, only there's no personal cost to giving them away. :)

Uh....

Until this thread started I didn't know what those chlorets were for. Now I know what they represent, but don't understand why they exist. Is this a grading system or applause?

(I went to the Ballet (Barysnikov's Swan Lake) with an college girlfriend--20 years after college--pretty neat. But, to this day I do not understand the concept of interrupting the performance to applaud one section of dance, or one dancer's completion of a difficult passage. Hell, they're SUPPOSED to do it right, or at least as well as they can. Butthen, I like theater and continuity of thought, not interruptions for accolades.)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming:

Thank those of you who gave me some of those things. But please, I consider the Cantina a gift, in and of itself, and just like everybody else, am trying to present the best I can when I can, and to remember to shut up all the other times. Not sure, given the chance to vote, that I would want something like that. I don't see a purpose. Miss Congeniality? dunno.

Mostly, just folks saying stuff to help other folks. No applause necessary.

Now, GREEN STAMPS, THOSE had a purpose. Early marraige, my ex and I tossed a coin to see who could use the books for presents for the other. The winner gave the books to the other. Everybody won.

Kismet said:
(I went to the Ballet (Barysnikov's Swan Lake) with an college girlfriend--20 years after college--pretty neat. But, to this day I do not understand the concept of interrupting the performance to applaud one section of dance, or one dancer's completion of a difficult passage. Hell, they're SUPPOSED to do it right, or at least as well as they can. Butthen, I like theater and continuity of thought, not interruptions for accolades.)
Yes! I'm NOT the only one who feels this way....actually I knew that already....wife is even more adamant about it than I am. She won't clap unless she's really impressed sometimes...makes it special when she does, of course.

I figure the clapping at least helps those in the audience with less attention span to "pace themselves" a little better.....:(

Josh Feltman said:
Nah, just an unrepentant rep whore :D I'm maxed out again. Ferguson and Kismet ended up with another cactus, lol. Hit a bunch of others. If you leave me rep, please include your screen name so I can return the favor. Sometimes I can guess from the comment, but other times, it's not so easy.

Yeah what he said, I'd like to know just so I know. I like leaving rep and have done as much as I can apparently.

I must be in the low rep district :)

one question.....everybody nukin' each's other green here....this ain't some kinda sick incest or cross-breeding I hope....:eek:

"Yeah...the guys in the H.I. forum just sit around bouncing green off each other day and night....Nerds!"

yep - that's the link!

although the settings a slightly different, I think.

Back