The Survive! Knife Alternatives Thread. All suggestions WELCOME!

Its really a shame that Survive cant get it together. Their knives are actually amazing. Ive gotten every knife ive ordered. The last one took 6, yes 6 F’n years. OUTRAGEOUS.

Wont be buying anymore until they can ship the day you purchase.

I was one of the original supporters, buying when they were made by White River knives. They had huge potential, but they couldn't run a business for anything.

White River is one of my suggested alternatives.
Theres a brand called architect that has a similar design, but is 1095. I think they are made by TOPS. I seem to remember they had a 3V version at some point.

I have quite a few great knives. My CPK SDFK goes with me when I leave the road up here in Alaska. In winter at my remote cabin, I place it in my go-bag in case of earthquake or woodstove fire that I need leave quickly. It is a really awesome knife. Good luck with your knife search and possible relocation. Honestly I am glad that Survive didn’t deliver my 5.1 after 14 months (finally refunded) because it led me to find several fantastic knifemakers on this site that have been great to deal with.
Ended up signing a new lease here in FL. So putting off the relo for at least another year during which I can stalk a CPK. Meanwhile my brother and his family are at this minute fishing for sockeye salmon on the Kenai River. Not a bad way to spend their daughter's 25th Birthday.

Please forgive my "aside" in this thread folks. But at the end of the day, these knives are supposed to get use.

Attachments

• IMG_7208.jpeg
    IMG_7208.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7209.jpeg
    IMG_7209.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 13
Just a heads up but OKC went out of business and is no longer taking orders, so maybe that should be noted or link removed. Also, White River knives is listed twice and extrema ratio doesn’t have a hyperlink.

Fixing. Thank you.
You can this knife to the list! Tops/TKC Architect series Field Buddy 6.5 in 3V. Amazing knife, and cheaper with same materials and fit and finish/quality. Cost about $230 with TKC scales of choice and a kydex or leather sheath. You can build the knife to your taste. Survive GSO blade profile with Esee 6 tang shape, so it’ll accept any Esee 6 scales. One of the best bargains going IMO.
View attachment 2279071View attachment 2279072

Ended up signing a new lease here in FL. So putting off the relo for at least another year during which I can stalk a CPK. Meanwhile my brother and his family are at this minute fishing for sockeye salmon on the Kenai River. Not a bad way to spend their daughter's 25th Birthday.

Please forgive my "aside" in this thread folks. But at the end of the day, these knives are supposed to get use.
I recently got a Bunker Hill ‘bushcrafter’ on the sale ads here by the maker that is built like a razor edged tank and has a phenomenal handle. I could not be happier with it. He plans to be offering more is 3v.

I am glad your kin got a chance to enjoy the fishing!

Stay safe.

I really like ‘user’ type knives that the designer/maker puts thought into the handle/grip. So many great blades have handles I don’t care for. This model is one you appreciate the moment you pick it up. Just great. It won’t replace my SDFK, but it will be getting plenty of use!
There are some folks who when they tell you something are worth listening to...

...which is why I commented.

Thanks.

It looks like the TRC knives all of rounded spines? Nice looking knives but my survival knives have to be able to throw a spark from a rod.

As far as I can tell my This is Freedom is shaped like the ohms symbol. Rounded with a flat shoulder, throws great sparks. And is oh so nimble . May have been the sharpest flat ground knife I've gotten from a maker.
IMG_20210102_134012.jpgIMG_20201226_101225.jpgIMG_20201226_101356.jpg

I think Bradford Knives can be included in this thread/list:
Guardian 3.5 Sheepsfoot (top), Guardian 3 Sheepsfoot & Wharncliffe
l7T6Zdch.jpg

Spoiler Alert: thread will go downhill real quick. In all seriousness, one company that will cover all the bases: Carothers Performance Knives.
Haha…. Then proceeds to post 8 times on the first page - 10 pages now total. Thank you for your contributions. I hope the thread hasn’t disappointed you. It didn’t seem to go downhill or become “negative in tone”.

You can this knife to the list! Tops/TKC Architect series Field Buddy 6.5 in 3V. Amazing knife, and cheaper with same materials and fit and finish/quality. Cost about $230 with TKC scales of choice and a kydex or leather sheath. You can build the knife to your taste. Survive GSO blade profile with Esee 6 tang shape, so it’ll accept any Esee 6 scales. One of the best bargains going IMO.
View attachment 2279071View attachment 2279072
The 5.5 is a stellar knife as well. Made by Tops for TKC, 3V heat treated by Peter’s.
x4EUGVG.jpg

Haha…. Then proceeds to post 8 times on the first page - 10 pages now total. Thank you for your contributions. I hope the thread hasn’t disappointed you. It didn’t seem to go downhill or become “negative in tone”.
This is true however if you look at most of the Survive threads on the GKD most of them take the flushing swirl route real quick. Same could be said for BRK threads. Your thread is actually a helpful and thoughtful thread.

Back