The Survive! Knife Alternatives Thread. All suggestions WELCOME!

There are several worthy outdoor knives to choose from...

I choose Carothers Performance Knives. They are frequently available in the Exchange, (via sale or WTB threads), and at Friday sales. You won't be disappointed if you are fortunate enough to land one.

If not, as I say, there are several other good options available.

(Let's please not let this thread devolve into the usual food fight. If it does, it will be short lived. Thank you.)

Carothers FK2. One and done.

GB03gF.jpg

aSIiej.jpg

Not sure why anyone would bother with Survive! when there are so many readily available, excellent alternatives.
He is not wrong you know!
View attachment 2206413

Let me be transparent for a minute, I did own a Survive GSO 5.1 for a short spell. While it was a decent knife and I did like the silhouette of the knife, it was by no means special in any way. The way the company conducted their business left such a bad taste in my mouth, I couldn’t in good conscience continue to own their product. Call it dramatic, but it is my personal conviction and I’ll stand by it.
It's why I'm divesting. One left to go. And the very real belief that if I ever sent my knife in for service I'd never see it again. My heirs might. I wouldn't.

Last edited:

I choose Carothers Performance Knives. They are frequently available in the Exchange, (via sale or WTB threads), and at Friday sales. You won't be disappointed if you are fortunate enough to land one.

(Let's please not let this thread devolve into the usual food fight. If it does, it will be short lived. Thank you.)
Agreed completely. My OP already has a list going to help people research and I'll keep it updated with models. I'll put a blurb in as well if things get squirrely at all. My point here is to give people a jumping off point for researching: just the "facts".

Let's give neophytes alternatives to the mess that is attempting to purchases a Survive! Knife in anything that approaches "real time". I'll edit a list in this OP. See below it's started.

By real time I mean prior to meeting someone, falling in love, getting married, having some kids, raising said kids, seeing a marriage counselor, maybe getting divorced.

Suggestions:
Give company, model, photo, customer service experience. It's a free for all. You do you. If you're a maker, dealer, seller. Go for it (if allowed).

CPK: Carothers Performance Knives. ( FK2, HDFK)
CRK
Buck
Reiffz Knives
Tops
Kabarz/Becker
Spartan
Esee
Scrapyard Knife Company SYKCO - DB421
Swamp Rat
Volunteer Knife
You in come up with a list of solid performing production outdoors knives and we’re on page 2 and nobody mentioned Skrama?!?!?

You’re all fired for cause.

Great. Now the Friday sales will be even faster.

:)

While the Skrama is an incredible medium-large chopper, it’s a little cumbersome for controlled tasks. For a true medium sized knife that won’t break the bank or break period, I’ll add the Jaakaripuuko 140 or it’s smaller sibling 110 to the list.

There are so many production knives that are easier to get, a better value, and cover all the same bases as most of the higher priced stuff named here.
Unless exclusivity is part of the equation...

CPK SDFK would be my pick for a 1 knife pick. Anything from CPK is excellent.

Busse and kin offer many choices with excellent build and support.

If wanting an outdoors midsized knife in Magnacut, the Demko outdoors fixed blade in Magnacut looks pretty solid for under $200.

So many excellent customs on these forums for same price point as S! charges for a knife that may take years to get (or not). Many steel and handle choices from people who want to make sure you are happy with their products. The fixed blade for sale section here is a treasure trove of great blades, and many of the makers will gladly tweak designs to accommodate preferences or even make ‘one-off’ knives.

There are so many production knives that are easier to get, a better value, and cover all the same bases as most of the higher priced stuff named here.

More power to you. However that wasn’t the question. The point being that the knives mentioned (at least by me) are better value and easier to get than Survive knives.

I got by with budget knives into my 40's. Nobody disputes the fact that many good serviceable knives are available at a fraction of the cost of "higher end" knives.

That said, this is a knife forum run by and for knife enthusiasts. We encourage everyone to buy both what they love, and what they can afford.

If you prefer to spend less, that's more money for you to spend elsewhere with our blessing. No need for anyone to rain on anyone else's parade.

Back