The Survive! Knife Alternatives Thread. All suggestions WELCOME!

I hesitate to mention Cold Steel because many of their tools are a bit Mall Ninja, but the SRK and Master Hunter in 3V are on my short list. I'd like to try their Kray-Ex handle material.
I have the AD10 in S35v and it has been a great tool so far with very nice fit and finish as well as robust construction.
I have not had to deal with Cold Steel customer service, so I don't have any experience to share.

1685817175673.png1685817200201.png

I got by with budget knives into my 40's. Nobody disputes the fact that many good serviceable knives are available at a fraction of the cost of "higher end" knives.

That said, this is a knife forum run by and for knife enthusiasts. We encourage everyone to buy both what they love, and what they can afford.

If you prefer to spend less, that's more money for you to spend elsewhere with our blessing. No need for anyone to rain on anyone else's parade.
He simply misread my post. Pretty certain he was making a statement in opposition to S!K specifically....and then continued the misread by failing to offer up any constructive alternatives.

Extrema Ratio Ontos
Ontos_blk-4.jpeg

I would add Joker knives to this list. They are amazing knives for the money and the fit and finish is truly impressive at ANY price. The Joker Nomad should be over $200 and yet it’s not

link removed per forum rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of great choices, but if I could choose only one cutting tool for a survival exercise I'd go with my Snow & Neally 3/4 bit ax.

LT Wright Genesis used to be highly recommended, are they still a good company to support? I don't own one of their knives yet.

Seems as thougfh we have done this thread before . . .

It is my conviction that the best survival knife to have is the knife you actyally have with you when you need to survive . . .whatever it is.

Running around town, my EDC is a leatherman Wave. If you are off on an Elk hunt in Montana yoiur EDC in the field would be something stouter. If you are living off the grid in Alaska, your choice might be similar, but weight and bulk might be critical.

Remember that guy who got his arm trapped in a crack while mountain climbing in a wilderness area? He finally self amputated his arm with a really flimsy pocket sized multitool.

And that was the best survival knife he had at the time.

Whatever it is, it will only save your lift if you actually have it with you when you need it. So Rambo knives are pretty much out. It has got to be in your pocket, in a belt pouch or sheath. If it is to big and heavy to EDC while doing whatever it is you are doing, then it is too big and heavy. If it is too costly and precious to bring along, you won't bring it.

Even an "Old Hickory" brand kitchen knife from the housewares department at Kroger could be your survival knife . . .if that is what you have at hand.

Seems as thougfh we have done this thread before . . .

It is my conviction that the best survival knife to have is the knife you actyally have with you when you need to survive . . .whatever it is.

Running around town, my EDC is a leatherman Wave. If you are off on an Elk hunt in Montana yoiur EDC in the field would be something stouter. If you are living off the grid in Alaska, your choice might be similar, but weight and bulk might be critical.

Remember that guy who got his arm trapped in a crack while mountain climbing in a wilderness area? He finally self amputated his arm with a really flimsy pocket sized multitool.

And that was the best survival knife he had at the time.

Whatever it is, it will only save your lift if you actually have it with you when you need it. So Rambo knives are pretty much out. It has got to be in your pocket, in a belt pouch or sheath. If it is to big and heavy to EDC while doing whatever it is you are doing, then it is too big and heavy. If it is too costly and precious to bring along, you won't bring it.

Even an "Old Hickory" brand kitchen knife from the housewares department at Kroger could be your survival knife . . .if that is what you have at hand.

The man might not be looking for a survival knife ... S!K just has a stupid name.

Let's give neophytes alternatives to the mess that is attempting to purchases a Survive! Knife in anything that approaches "real time". I'll edit a list in this OP. See below it's started.

By real time I mean prior to meeting someone, falling in love, getting married, having some kids, raising said kids, seeing a marriage counselor, maybe getting divorced.

I think the OP is looking to prepare for divorce. :)

Mandatory fixed blade picture:

i-FPcpjhB-X3.jpg

I guess what I was trying to say is that there is no such thing as a definitively BEST survival knife. /there are lots of good knives out there. Get one and be sure you have it when you need it.

And yet, tome folks are so prepped for . . .something . . .that they almost wish somer emergency comes up to justify their ffort nd investment in a "Go-Bag" (or whatever they call it). My Pickup has a folding shovel, a machete and alength of stout rope under the seat. They have stayed there unused for twenty years or more.

And anyway, survival is a state of mind. Read "Deep Survival" by L. Gonzales.

I think you're missing the point V VorpelSword

I have all the same (unused) stuff in my 4Runner and the Explorer before it...including an ax or two.

This thread was not about the best survival knife per se, but about more readily available, (relative term), alternatives to a certain company's "offerings".

I just put in a whole house generator. I intend to survive indoors with cold beer. Oh, I'll still keep a knife or two around in case one of those pull tabs breaks off unexpectedly or I break a nail.

Back