The Swamp Rat Free Rein 28 . . . Coming Sunday, January 14, 2024, At 9:00 PM Eastern

A little extra detail, I’m case you’ve never ordered directly from Busse. When you order, they will only charge you $1 to verify your payment method. They won’t charge the remaining balance until they are nearly ready to ship. That could be days, weeks, or months. Worth the wait, but some folks get upset not knowing what it is before hand.
Hey Brother.....you need to check the order details.
Two options for payment are:
- Option 1: $250.00 down payment with the balance due upon completion.
- Option 2: Pre-pay in full.

Hey Brother.....you need to check the order details.

Oh, snap!! That’s right! Thanks for correcting me. I completely forgot that Voodoo has changed up how the Swamp takes orders. My previous statement now only applies to Busse, and presumably the Yard. Apologies for the error. My bad.

Oh, snap!! That’s right! Thanks for correcting me. I completely forgot that Voodoo has changed up how the Swamp takes orders. My previous statement now only applies to Busse, and presumably the Yard. Apologies for the error. My bad.
No problemo...if we're gonna be enablers we should at least give them the straight info, except for Gaaanzas, then it's HOG Treachery full bore. :cool:

A little extra detail, I’m case you’ve never ordered directly from Busse. When you order, they will only charge you $1 to verify your payment method. They won’t charge the remaining balance until they are nearly ready to ship. That could be days, weeks, or months. Worth the wait, but some folks get upset not knowing what it is before hand.

EDIT : I was mistaken. Corrections on next page.

No problemo...if we're gonna be enablers we should at least give them the straight info, except for Gaaanzas, then it's HOG Treachery full bore. :cool:

They will go up for sale in TWO WEEKS!!!

Then they will be shipped in TWO WEEKS!

For those of you with 3V experience, how is it holding up to corrosion? I’m torn between coated & comp finish!
No problem with the one in the shop. I like the shiny one :)

For those of you with 3V experience, how is it holding up to corrosion? I’m torn between coated & comp finish!
My only experience with 3v similar to this is with Carothers, and it does not corrode easy. Then Again they’re stonewashed, and I heard somewhere that stonewash does something to the surface of the metal that makes it harder to rust. Someone who knows more maybe chime in.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 3V from Busse and others (CPK, Demko, Hinderer, RMJ, etc). Although it will patina I’ve never had any issues with rust beyond a few freckles. It’s nothing like 1095 or M4.

Nice!

As others have asked, what's this one weigh?

What is the blade height? Looks the same as previous gen Free Rein but I'm not sure what that one is either.

Thickness behind the edge? Would definitely love to know that!

Anyone able to report on their experiences with other SR-3V blades so far in hard use? Sadly, I've seen scant info on this! Busse and the Swamp offered the most info so far with their excellent test video of the OG Free Rein, but I want to see much more! Any head to head tests with INFI? Would love to see that!

My only experience with 3v similar to this is with Carothers, and it does not corrode easy. The. Again they’re stonewashed, and I heard somewhere that stonewash does something to the surface of the metal that makes it harder to rust. Someone who knows more maybe chime in.

I've heard the same. I think the blades undergo an acid etch before stonewash that builds up a layer that protects against further corrosion. But I don't really know if that is true or not.

Nice!

As others have asked, what's this one weigh?

What is the blade height? Looks the same as previous gen Free Rein but I'm not sure what that one is either.

Thickness behind the edge? Would definitely love to know that!

Anyone able to report on their experiences with other SR-3V blades so far in hard use? Sadly, I've seen scant info on this! Busse and the Swamp offered the most info so far with their excellent test video of the OG Free Rein, but I want to see much more! Any head to head tests with INFI? Would love to see that!

I would say toughness is close. I beat on a delta3v blade alongside a leaner mean street and it did well. It did take on more damage than the mean street, but not enough that it would be an issue.

I've heard the same. I think the blades undergo an acid etch before stonewash that builds up a layer that protects against further corrosion. But I don't really know if that is true or not.
Having stonewashed non-knives before in a production setting, there is no acid pre or post treatment involved that I've ever seen. Just a detergent of sorts that's mixed in with the water and parts being tumbled. Unfortunately I have no further info on how stonewashing prevents corrosion if it even does at all. If it does, I'd only imagine it's on a microscopic level, smoothing out the surface giving corrosion less of a foothold, but that's pure speculation.

Dang it Jerry! Whyd you have to go and do something like this right after i got the original free rein. I cant afford another but i want it so bad 😩

I would say toughness is close. I beat on a delta3v blade alongside a leaner mean street and it did well. It did take on more damage than the mean street, but not enough that it would be an issue.
I saw that video, the one with the giant concrete nails I think it was. Made my skin crawl thinking of all the abuse those knives took! But was still cool to see nonetheless. Definitely one of the better extreme test videos I've ever seen! I thank you for your sacrifice for the community's sake!

I saw that video, the one with the giant concrete nails I think it was. Made my skin crawl thinking of all the abuse those knives took! But was still cool to see nonetheless. Definitely one of the better extreme test videos I've ever seen! I thank you for your sacrifice for the community's sake!

As an aside, I sent that knife in to jerry and I had it back within TWO WEEKS!! no joke. I was shocked. He's never really known the meaning of two weeks, so I was shocked.

Having stonewashed non-knives before in a production setting, there is no acid pre or post treatment involved that I've ever seen. Just a detergent of sorts that's mixed in with the water and parts being tumbled. Unfortunately I have no further info on how stonewashing prevents corrosion if it even does at all. If it does, I'd only imagine it's on a microscopic level, smoothing out the surface giving corrosion less of a foothold, but that's pure speculation.
That would make sense as I’ve also heard that bead blasted blades tend to be more prone to corrosion or freckling.

Back