The Swords of HI

This thread has too many good pictures to be kept away from people without search function.

As many Tarwar pics as have already been posted, here's my villager by Bura, with Kumar Karda by Kumar himself for comparison:

TarwarKarda20091031_sm.jpg

How sweet 'dey is! :D

i have a smooth handled tarwar but have noticed that most have the carved rings in the middle. how would i go about adding those rings myself -- i like the look better and imagine it would help a bit with grip.

i have a smooth handled tarwar but have noticed that most have the carved rings in the middle. how would i go about adding those rings myself -- i like the look better and imagine it would help a bit with grip.

article_morocco_bow_lathe.jpg

you use a bow lathe :D

HI Manjushree Sword #1: 27.5 inch/26 ounce.
This was the first example of this model to be sold on 11-15-2004. It was purchased from the original owner, Ben Sweet. The photo's were taken by him too.

HIBenSweets1stHimalayanImportsMa-1.jpg

HIBenSweets1stHimalayanImportsManju.jpg

HIBenSweets1stHimalayanImportsMa-2.jpg

HI1stHimalayanImportsManjushreeSwor.jpg

I'm happy she went to a good home:thumbup:

This one I hand picked from Yangdu & Uncles place during a break at the Reno Konvention

hi1.jpg

hi2.jpg

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I intent to keep this beautiful example of Sher Kami's talent in as good condition as Ben has done.

God I was so arrogant. I wish I could delete all those posts. Anyway, 2011 I will try to start over fresh and rebuild my HI collection. I've already sent a special order request to Yangdu for a DIJ tarwar. We'll see how it turns out in the spring.

If the kamis do it right, you'll see soon enough! No huge changes, just subtle adjustments to certain angles...

If the kamis do it right, you'll see soon enough! No huge changes, just subtle adjustments to certain angles...

Danny & gang,

Has anyone ever fancy a fullered Tarwar with chiruwa handle?

WOW --- what a GREAT THREAD and as a "newby" , I did not know that HI made so many nice swords in the past.

I would request that some of the owners repost your photos as there asr more then 1/2 the photos that just show a red X.

WOW --- what a GREAT THREAD and as a "newby" , I did not know that HI made so many nice swords in the past.

I would request that some of the owners repost your photos as there asr more then 1/2 the photos that just show a red X.

I agree. Can't have too many pics of cool swords, especially of the ones that are no longer made!

I don't claim any special expertise here, but my understanding is that the main battlefield weapon of a samurai during this period would be a spear or naginata (glaive). Thus, the use of the katana on a battlefield would be more like that of a pistol or even knife, as a backup if the main weapon were lost, broken, or combat became too close. A 5' heavy wood handle with an 18" blade on the end sounds like just the ticket against someone wearing armor!

Back