The Transformation of a large CRK Classic

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The transformation of a large CRK Classic

488C3BED-51FF-472C-9CC3-F57A85F237EA.jpeg

First and foremost, I want to thank Josh @razoredgeknives and Jake Newell for taking on my project...and coming through with an outstanding and superb piece in my collection. Both their time and skills are greatly appreciated.

This is the journey that became...the transformation of a CRK Classic...my dream knife, and a prized knife in my collection. This journey started a year and a half ago...

Lets just say, as some of you know, I can’t leave anything alone...I need to make it mine. I need to embellish, I need to enhance. My mind runs all the time...it is a blessing and a curse.

I decided I wanted to start with my favorite knife platform, the Classic Sebenza. I ended up purchasing a used large Classic, with no box. :) Perfect. I had two main goals with this modification/embellishment to accomplish.
  1. Must be a front flipper
  2. Must be engraved
In my opinion, these guys knocked it outta the park!

Firstly, Josh @razor-edge-knives did a fantastic job of the Damasteel Gysinge reblade. High polish on the Damasteel, and the tang was extended just a touch to create better purchase for front flipping. I was worried that extending the tang would throw off the lines of the beautiful CRK, but I believe it flows well. You can be your own judge. Josh, again, your painstaking pursuit of perfection on this blade is greatly appreciated.

The hardware was polished, and the rear screw on the lockside was heat colored gold. It has a custom pivot bushing, as to not mess with the original blade/bushing. Josh’s edge is so sharp, it is scary. Haha. No joke.
The action is dialled in perfectly. Smooth, and crisp. Just a dream to flip. :D

Secondly, Jake Newell’s engraving skills are off the chart, and a very, very sincere thank you for being so excited about this project. I must have drove him bat crazy, back and forth until the sketch of the engraving was perfect and to my liking. Jake’s engraving has so so much depth, life, and is so cleanly and crisply cut I am beyond words. His 24k gold inlays are fantasic and done with precision. Jake also faded out the sandblast on the lockside scale quite nicely. :)

The lanyard pin is blackened by yours truly.

Photos are next...
I’ll let you all be the judges...I am just so happy to share this with other enthusiasts and have posted first on Bladeforums. I am thrilled beyond words with how this collaboration turned out. You guys killed it! Thanks!

D222BA8F-4ECE-4E9A-9F26-DC464CA90A54.jpeg
9251873C-D80E-46E6-9B97-1D1AA8DE6F87.jpeg
A8E7D340-8C8F-4B9B-8D3A-E5FEB623AEAD.jpeg
FCEA77D3-F392-43F2-A79B-01A36923241F.jpeg
255B286F-14D4-4678-BD8D-EAE7A45786DA.jpeg
8F447E8A-32A5-42F8-9A81-70C30754588E.jpeg
08CDAA17-67FE-4378-B9B7-78995BDCE066.jpeg
8BF2C40A-C9A7-4892-A388-D2BC9C50C018.jpeg
382859B5-4DD0-4D76-8D0F-4BEDBD0DB8B1.jpeg
photos courtesy of @razor-edge-knives

Specs/Mods

Blade: High polish Damasteel Gysinge
Presentation scale: engraved/24k gold inlay
Lockside scale: engraved/24k gold inlay and faded sandblast.
Pocket clip: engraved
All screws high mirror polish
Lockside rear screw heat colored gold
Crk gold standoff
Blackened Ti Lanyard pin

Hope you all enjoyed this post.

Keep ‘em Sharp!

Last edited:

One of my favorite things about this knife...is that through all the mods...the Crk “hydraulic” feel is still there! :)

Fullsize and clear action videos!!
Thank you so much @miso2

3F67709E-5478-4F34-AB94-488F59EF9E0C.jpeg

77DDF11B-B6AA-4E75-B2AE-42CDBEA25DC4.jpeg

4D260D73-A02C-4B75-A5B9-0F15A1ED80D8.jpeg

24CC212F-928B-4FBC-B2AA-DED01597E8A9.jpeg

D41D80DF-B26A-47FD-83A3-D410B590DBE1.jpeg

E90C0923-FB7A-4515-B52C-299589459185.jpeg

C3E6B4D8-7175-4B51-A574-9E754B028963.jpeg

72B7969F-4DB1-4020-B7AA-B562C5F5101C.jpeg
More photo’s uploaded. :D

Last edited:
This is an amazing piece of art... I am speechless...

Stunning design and fantastic workmanship.

Creativity is one of life’s blessings...Chris Reeve had a vision, and created one of the most iconic knives in knife history. It was extremely fun (and stressful) to take his creativity and combine it with my own. Not to mention Josh and Jake’s skills to bring it all to life!
Thank you guys for your comments...this front flipping beauty was worth the wait!

I love the damascus and the 3D effect on the engraving. <salute>

Me too! :D

Nice!! I talked to Josh like 3yrs ago about doing a Damasteel blade on my Sebenza 25. Never happened due to finances and then knife was stolen while I was in the hospital.. Damn that looks good!! Enjoy and thanx for sharing it!!!! .and the busted dream too!!

James

I'm guessing that you won't be cutting a lot of shingles, scraping the mortar off old bricks and prying up man hole covers with this one, right?

ahahaha!! Definitely not those jobs no. Haha.
But I will carry it for the lighter tasks. Thing about modifications...you can never get your money back...so may as well use it and enjoy it.
Already have a sheath for it, now for a fob. :)
We only live once!

Nice!! I talked to Josh like 3yrs ago about doing a Damasteel blade on my Sebenza 25. Never happened due to finances and then knife was stolen while I was in the hospital.. Damn that looks good!! Enjoy and thanx for sharing it!!!! .and the busted dream too!!

James

Thanks James! The most stressful part was the shipping...haha. Back and forth, back and forth...and then to me...from the USA, through customs, and finally a few weeks later, to my door here in Canada. Talk about anxiety!! Lol.

ETA: sorry for crushing the dream. I say do it up anyways!! :D

Not my video! Like HOW. For this embed, I used the Media button and pasted the YouTube link. Just pasting the YouTube link straight in does the same thing.

If you have a phone app that converts videos to animated gif, you can embed into a post with the Image function (I can't seem to restrict the size by code here like on other boards, sadly).

The deformation of a large CRK Classic

View attachment 1345323

First and foremost, I want to thank Josh @razoredgeknives and Jake Newell for taking on my project...and coming through with an outstanding and superb piece in my collection. Both their time and skills are greatly appreciated.

This is the journey that became...the deformation of a CRK Classic...my dream knife, and a prized knife in my collection. This journey started a year and a half ago...

Lets just say, as some of you know, I can’t leave anything alone...I need to make it mine. I need to embellish, I need to enhance. My mind runs all the time...it is a blessing and a curse.

I decided I wanted to start with my favorite knife platform, the Classic Sebenza. I ended up purchasing a used large Classic, with no box. :) Perfect. I had two main goals with this modification/embellishment to accomplish.
  1. Must be a front flipper
  2. Must be engraved
In my opinion, these guys knocked it outta the park!

Firstly, Josh @razor-edge-knives did a fantastic job of the Damasteel Gysinge reblade. High polish on the Damasteel, and the tang was extended just a touch to create better purchase for front flipping. I was worried that extending the tang would throw off the lines of the beautiful CRK, but I believe it flows well. You can be your own judge. Josh, again, your painstaking persuit of perfection on this blade is greatly appreciated.

The hardware was polished, and the rear screw on the lockside was heat colored gold. It has a custom pivot bushing, as to not mess with the original blade/bushing. Josh’s edge is so sharp, it is scary. Haha. No joke.
The action is dialled in perfectly. Smooth, and crisp. Just a dream to flip. :D

Secondly, Jake Newell’s engraving skills are off the chart, and a very, very sincere thank you for being so excited about this project. I must have drove him bat crazy, back and forth until the sketch of the engraving was perfect and to my liking. Jake’s engraving has so so much depth, life, and is so cleanly and crisply cut I am beyond words. His gold inlays are fantasic and done with precision. Jake also faded out the sandblast on the lockside scale quite nicely. :)

The lanyard pin is blackened by yours truly.

Photos are next...
I’ll let you all be the judges...I am just so happy to share this with other enthusiasts and have posted first on Bladeforums. I am thrilled beyond words with how this collaboration turned out. You guys killed it! Thanks!

View attachment 1345327
View attachment 1345328
View attachment 1345321
View attachment 1345329
View attachment 1345330
View attachment 1345333
View attachment 1345332
View attachment 1345326
View attachment 1345363
photos courtesy of @razor-edge-knives

Specs/Mods

Blade: High polish Damasteel Gysinge
Presentation scale: engraved/gold inlay
Lockside scale: engraved/gold inlay and faded sandblast.
Pocket clip: engraved
All screws high mirror polish
Lockside rear screw heat colored gold
Crk gold standoff
Blackened Ti Lanyard pin

Hope you all enjoyed this post.

Keep ‘em Sharp!
Wow. You want me to take that to work with me for a couple weeks? I’ll only use it on underground days :D
In all seriousness that’s pretty impressive. Congrats

I personally love mods and this is an amazing piece! Thank you for sharing.

And of course, I also would really dig seeing the action.

Back