The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Fit and finish on my Buck forum knife was terrible.

I sent it back to Buck and after a fairly long wait, it came back just as bad as it was when I sent it in.

So, even tho I expect the usual influx of traffic from the Buck forum, I'm not in for any Buck made knife. The Buck forum can have a "special" Buck made anytime they want.

Someone refresh my memory how the buck forums knife went overall. My recollection was less than stellar. I might not remember correctly, but I do recall the thread popping up months later about people sending their knives in for repairs. I recall people posting about not being particularly thrilled about one thing or another. I recall a bunch of them being posted for sale. maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly because so many people here wanting a buck forum knife again? I we'll keep an eye out to see if anybody post problems with this year's forum knife. I recall SK being awesome about updates and options for the buck forum knife. Seems like I recall the buck sub forum regularly working with SK for special editions... for me personally it didn't really feel like a forum knife, it felt like another Buck special edition that's not so special because they are always putting together the next special edition. Regarding price, wasn't the buck knife more expensive than this years GEC @afishhunter

Those are my only misgivings when it comes to a Buck knife. So many of us here on the forums are rather discriminating in our tastes and have a pretty critical eye. I see nothing wrong with that as it ultimately drives a manufacturer to do better if they care to listen. I was underwhelmed with my Buck knife from last year - I was led to expect dark and gnarly Stag and I received the complete opposite (almost akin to smooth white bone in an unpolished state). I was able to address that by trading with a kind member here but I was still left with blades that had some serious thickness behind the edge.

Though I didn't have the same issues that other folks seemed to have, I can see why it would put folks off the idea of doing another.

The Buck was a howling deal given that we got two blades, stag, and a decent stainless steel. Fit and finish wasn't quite up to GEC standards, but I think the value was better. I'd love to see another Buck, hopefully a fixed blade or maybe a 110.

I definitely agree that last year's knife was an exceptional value and that particular merit alone is enough for me to not turn my nose up at another go at it. I think I'd like to see a fixed blade from Buck though before trying another folder.

The sunfish would be a cool idea..... even better would be the watch pocket sunfish!
Watch pocket size sunfish? Why with the right brand pants they're ALL watch pocket knives o_O
d0ALtON.jpg

WjKJLLq.jpg

All those and room to spare!:D:thumbsup:

I'll likely be in on any folding knife regardless of who ends up making it. I have nothing horrible to say about any of the likely cutlers.

My preference among today's manufacturers though will remain GEC. I like putting my money on safe bets, and while they're not perfect, they do have the market on consistent build & quality...at least that's my experience with all of the knives I've owned.

There's a lot of great knives from several companies though, so as always, I'm excited to see the direction we go when this discussion becomes official.

I changed my mind GEC! #35, punch, crown lifter and clip point main with a nail nick. Let's do some really nice random jigged bone like the Waynorth Lambsfoot knives!? Minus spear point main and minus the sheepfoot secondary

Sounds like a good idea, but we just had a 35 forum knife recently.. but I'm good with any GEC.

My understanding (which may well be incorrect) is that they've always been contract knives. At times by Queen or Camillus. If they are currently made in the US, that would probably mean either Bear mfg. or Utica.
I believe Bluegrass also purchased much of Queens equipment so they may be gearing up to do some in house.

Serious question, would anyone be interested in a tl29 type with snazzy covers?
I like that knife but most the older models you find have some minor issues that could be improved upon.

Someone refresh my memory how the buck forums knife went overall. My recollection was less than stellar. I might not remember correctly, but I do recall the thread popping up months later about people sending their knives in for repairs. I recall people posting about not being particularly thrilled about one thing or another. I recall a bunch of them being posted for sale. maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly because so many people here wanting a buck forum knife again? I we'll keep an eye out to see if anybody post problems with this year's forum knife. I recall SK being awesome about updates and options for the buck forum knife. Seems like I recall the buck sub forum regularly working with SK for special editions... for me personally it didn't really feel like a forum knife, it felt like another Buck special edition that's not so special because they are always putting together the next special edition. Regarding price, wasn't the buck knife more expensive than this years GEC @afishhunter
I know there were some with issues and some of those issues pretty bad but I believe most people were made right and the knife was under $100 had CPM-154 steel, stag covers, two blades, and a leather sheath seems a fair deal to me. I got one it was a good quality piece didn’t keep it but that is another matter.

You are correct, I need to "let it go". :):thumbsup:
Thanks, John. I struggle with that concept myself but find I always feel better when I am able to- let it go. I hate to see a manufacturer and dealers that have been so good to us in the past be rallied against because a few bad apples flipped their knives for a huge profit.
That said, I hope each and every one is flatly denied the option to purchase next year, (should it happen.)

Awesome - that would be the best :thumbsup:!!! You know there's a lot of love here on the traditional and modern side for KSF.

So, when the "official" forum thread starts would you be okay if we toss the idea around a bit and see what happens?

If things were like back in the day, when we had a little more pull (although we purchased less knives), I'd be screaming "Peanut!". But with the way things are now, I say we go for a fixed blade - there's probably more manufacturers that might be willing to work with us...and we haven't had one yet.

I would love to see a Derrick Bohn tribute BF knife.

If KSF gives us the okay to discuss a possible Northwoods bladeforums knife in the official thread, I'd venture a guess that a Bohn tribute knife might not go over well with people that didn't know him, but if there is a Northwoods BF knife it would be fun to pull some of his old posts and put them on the tube sticker... which would maybe somewhat tie everything together and try to make the least amount of people grumpy.

I don't know how the Northwoods SFO works in terms of their dealings with GEC but from a logistics viewpoint, it seems that it might be a bit complicated. Would those of us here at the forum have a say in what pattern (as well as cover options and blade configuration) gets selected? Also, it might be worth pointing out that if there are folks here who fear a GEC SFO getting flipped, a Northwoods will be just as bad, if not worse, in that regard.

It also doesn't placate those that do not want a GEC - in fact, it might inflame them even more against the idea overall.

I am personally not opposed to the idea, I am mostly just playing some semblance of a devil's advocate.

Maybe we should have each members screen name laser engraved on each knife so everyone will know who these bastardly dastardly flippers are......?

I am not hearing the overwhelming support for a special custom Mora that I expected....... people need to get on the M-train.

Last edited:
Back