The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2020 forum knife possibility discussion thread

I'm hoping for some light colored ram's horn, with that cool washboard texture I see in some pics.

Posting here instead of the poll thread because I understand that we aren't choosing what kind of horn we get, and it will be luck of the draw, and no complaining or returning if it isn't our preferred aesthetic choice. :D

I'm just waiting to see what kind of off-colour pun Meako makes about the 3 choices....

Rams don't shed their horns, so you kill the ram to get that horn. Or you get that horn when you kill the ram. Either way, that sheep's gotta die.
Moved this quote over here, hope you don't mind.
Let me start off by saying that I am not against the harvesting of animals for materials... but I know some people are and i don't want to turn this into a political debate. Let's just say different strokes for different folks.

But you bring up an interesting point and one that I'd already thought of earlier. I didn't vote for Giraffe Bone because of some of the member's feelings about it. I figured a Forum Knife should represent the forum as a whole and not just my own desires. But I was very shocked to see some of those same members that had an ethical problem with Giraffe Bone turn around and vote for Ram's horn. Maybe Rams aren't cute enough? :D

I'm just waiting to see what kind of off-colour pun Meako makes about the 3 choices....
Someone was threatening to make puns but it wasnt me:)...I've wracked my brain but I simply can not think of anything remotely humourous about Horn ,Wood or Bone....or did I just teleport on to the set of Are You Being Served in the 1970s? :D:rolleyes:

Moved this quote over here, hope you don't mind.
Let me start off by saying that I am not against the harvesting of animals for materials... but I know some people are and i don't want to turn this into a political debate. Let's just say different strokes for different folks.

But you bring up an interesting point and one that I'd already thought of earlier. I didn't vote for Giraffe Bone because of some of the member's feelings about it. I figured a Forum Knife should represent the forum as a whole and not just my own desires. But I was very shocked to see some of those same members that had an ethical problem with Giraffe Bone turn around and vote for Ram's horn. Maybe Rams aren't cute enough? :D

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that there is only around 100,000 giraffes left in the world, their population has dropped 30% in the last 30 years, and they’re at risk of going extinct... While none of this applies to sheep.

(no snark intended)

meako meako , tell us a little bit more about the genius of the thread starter, and if you have a chance add something about his striking good looks, and his rumored incredible free hand sharpening skills.
Apparently or so Ive heard...hes so beautiful he makes Brad Pitt and George Clooney look like Uncle Fester and WC Fields....
AND! right ...he once sharpened a piece of armour plate off an Abrams tank into a razor and shaved with it.....;):D...you asked for it.

Depends on why they were against giraffe. If it's because they're endangered and because of the poaching and the corruption in Africa that allows poached animal products onto the market, that would explain it. The flip side of the coin is that when money can be made managing animal populations sustainably, there's some local pressure(the only effective kind) to stop poaching. I haven't done the research to know what's what regarding giraffes.

Depends on why they were against giraffe. If it's because they're endangered and because of the poaching and the corruption in Africa that allows poached animal products onto the market, that would explain it. The flip side of the coin is that when money can be made managing animal populations sustainably, there's some local pressure(the only effective kind) to stop poaching. I haven't done the research to know what's what regarding giraffes.
I looked on the Viper knives website, and a few knife supply sites, thinking there might be some information listed about where they source the bone, but haven't found anything.
The discussion may be moot anyway, if the price difference is too great.

There is a certain amount of (hopefully) good natured campaigning in these poll threads:
"Don't vote for horn, it'll attract beetles!"
"That wood smells stinky!"
I said my piece about why I didn't like the idea of using giraffe (while admitting my hypocrisy in eating non-endangered animals) without trying to shut down anyone else's choice.

gaj999 gaj999 , I think you have missed the point. We spend a lot of time here together in this Forum. I view a many of these folks as friends. R8shell wrote that she doesn’t feel comfortable with giraffe and might not be able to buy a Forum Knife if that material is used. Others that I also respect, like Fixall, seem to have similar views. Rather than trying to debate the point, or tell then that it is their “problem” to deal with, as you did, I would prefer to just do the neighborly thing and respect their opinion. It has nothing to do with solving a problem as you wrote or catering to anyone. It is simply the right way to treat our friends.

Saying it another way, r8shell r8shell has made me smile on many occasions with her humor and brightened my day. Going with a wood or horn handle is a very small gesture to thank her.

Last edited:
r8shell r8shell If we found out you were enjoying some BBQ giraffe then that would be a little hypocritical.
:D Tastes just like white rhino. ;)

gaj999 gaj999 , I think you have missed the point. We spend a lot of time here together in this Forum. I view a lot of these folks as friends. R8shell wrote that she doesn’t feel comfortable with giraffe and might not be able to buy a Forum Knife if that material is used. Others that I also respect, like Fixall, seem to have similar views. Rather than trying to debate the point, or tell then that it is their “problem” to deal with, as you did, I would prefer to just do the neighborly thing and respect their opinion. It has nothing to do with solving a problem as you wrote or catering to anyone. It is simply the right way to treat our friends.

Saying it another way, r8shell r8shell has made me smile on many occasions with her humor and brightened my day. Going with a wood or horn handle is a very small gesture to thank her.

Thank you.
I wanted to bring up the issue, figuring there may be others who feel the same way, but were shy to post about it.

gaj999 gaj999 , I think you have missed the point. We spend a lot of time here together in this Forum. I view a lot of these folks as friends. R8shell wrote that she doesn’t feel comfortable with giraffe and might not be able to buy a Forum Knife if that material is used. Others that I also respect, like Fixall, seem to have similar views. Rather than trying to debate the point, or tell then that it is their “problem” to deal with, as you did, I would prefer to just do the neighborly thing and respect their opinion. It has nothing to do with solving a problem as you wrote or catering to anyone. It is simply the right way to treat our friends.

Wasn't thinking of r8shell r8shell when I posted. Her concern is one I understand and sympathize with. I could easily be talked into or out of giraffe depending on what the situation on the ground in Africa is like. But I would make my own choice rather than changing my vote because of something someone else is worrying about unless I have reason to believe that person has special expertise or knowledge. I also have no problem with announcing a particular concern in order to start a discussion that would help me clarify my thoughts or get useful information. Voting for your second or third choice because someone you like and respect feels a certain way is also just fine. Announcing to the world that you're doing so is in questionable taste. Maybe I should have just said that instead.

It's the Vegans that irritate me. They're who I was thinking of. Won't use any animal products cuz I'm so woke. You have to vote for wood or I won't buy one. Maybe I've run into too many lately. They get pretty pushy. Maybe I just have cabin fever. Maybe I'm ethically retarded. Dunno. I wish they would quietly vote their convictions. Anyway, thanks for the call-out, I certainly wasn't targeting r8shell in any way. I'm sorry if it read that way.

Someone was threatening to make puns but it wasnt me:)...I've wracked my brain but I simply can not think of anything remotely humourous about Horn ,Wood or Bone....or did I just teleport on to the set of Are You Being Served in the 1970s? :D:rolleyes:

While I am a moderately burly fellow, I rarely feel the need to pick a bone with others about what does or does not make them feel horny. :p

No hypocrisy. You don't eat endangered animals because they're endangered, not because they're animals. :)
It's a bit off topic, but I'll say that I can respect vegans who have decided to not consume animal products. Whether for health or humane reasons, we all draw a line somewhere.
I do have a bit of a problem with meat eaters who are too squeamish about where their meat comes from. I know some who could never watch an animal being killed but eat meat every day. "Own your guilt," I tell them. :rolleyes:

I enjoy the discussions that these issues bring up, as long as everyone is respectful. :cool::thumbsup:

Back