The unofficial, non binding, carries no weight, 2021 forum knife possibility discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that puts us back at taking what Bill offers, unless someone has an alternative to GEC. If we asked Eric Albers now, he might be able to have a run large enough for 2022.

Do you think Alber's one man show could take on that task and deliver by year's end?

If Mr. Albers was ever interested, I’d be willing to pay a higher premium. Since he’s making quality products at a low production level I believe it would be our pleasure as a community to support his endeavors.

When/if he’s ever interested I am sure he would chime in.

He makes nice stuff for sure.

I kinda think at this point though, we have had a extremely generous offer already for this year’s potential traditional BF knife.

In my own opinion I think that’s an awesome thing and support it fully.

Anyway, the scales were decided long ago: It's Ivory Bone no question ;) mated to the long grooved bolster is a thoroughbred. :thumbsup:

Still undecided me, not that that will have any impact :D If it were Spear I'd try and buy the whole lot ;) but Clip is a little too pedestrian. Will be a great item whatever. Provided Bill doesn't withdraw....:eek:

Great news! Count me in!

I'd love to have a few things to vote on - just for the fun of it (perhaps handle color, long pull vs nail nick, smooth bone vs sawcut) but am still quite pleased with the mock up as is - and won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

How about Hemlock Green sawcut bone?:)

I would love hemlock “green” bone, but I’m afraid if we put it to a vote people will vote wrong and we’ll get a long pull ;)

Do you think Alber's one man show could take on that task and deliver by year's end?
I don’t know, but I doubt it if the order is as big as it has been in recent years 300-500 knives). Even if he had a full 24 months that’s a large batch of knives per month at custom level, and all the same thing (which might get too tedious).

If he only had to make 200 he could possibly do it and still make some of his own as well. But even that would be hard.

This is great news! I haven't been on the forum much the last couple weeks so it's nice to get caught up again. It's a beautiful barlow and I'm definitely in! Thanks GEC and Charlie!

I am neither new here nor a high post count contributor, but, chime in when I have something constructive to say, something to add, or can pass on some of the knowledge that I have gleaned here over the past 9 years. I have contributed in the official Form Knife threads for the past three or four years and enjoy it immensely. I have not always liked the outcome, but, contribute and buy the knife that the forum choses in the spirit of camaraderie, I love this place. Life has changed and I do not have the same amount of time as I once had to view the porch, but, hope to be able to participate this year in both the forum knife and every day porch discussions. I do not know what prompted me to write this, but, I have seen some the discord and change in this forum and I too hope that the spirit of this forum remains.

DITTO

I have tried to keep quiet and let the discussions play out, but I gotta put my $0.02 in ;) In 2009 or thereabouts, it may have been, relatively speaking, easier to find a manufacturer who was willing to commit to a short run of some very specific type, the details of which could be hashed out and voted on one by one. The knife world was a different place then.

The overriding issue the last few years, which has threatened, seriously threatened, to doom the idea of any forum knife at all, is the difficulty in finding any manufacturer willing and able to accommodate, and finding a dealer willing to take on the task of coordinating, which is, by all appearances, an ordeal. Covid and all the manufacturing limitations it imposed certainly hasn’t helped things in that regard.

I think if we have a manufacturer, still less one of GECs near universal esteem, who is willing, and some generous souls who have volunteered to coordinate, it would be quite silly not to gratefully take them up on whatever they can offer. A Barlow is personally not my favorite pattern, but, it will be an excellent knife and one I will probably enjoy carrying quite a bit. (I wasn’t sure I’d love the 2020 forum knife either but it’s one of my most carried.) I look forward to this knife and hope we can all agree to make it happen.

I have tried to keep quiet and let the discussions play out, but I gotta put my $0.02 in. In 2009 or thereabouts, it may have been, relatively speaking, easier to find a manufacturer who was willing to commit to a short run of some very specific type, the details of which could be hashed out and voted on one by one. The knife world was a different place then.

The overriding issue the last few years, which has threatened, seriously threatened, to doom the idea of any forum knife at all, is the difficulty in finding any manufacturer willing and able to accommodate, and finding a dealer willing to take on the task of coordinating, which is, by all appearances, an ordeal. Covid and all the manufacturing limitations it imposed certainly hasn’t helped things in that regard.

I think if we have a manufacturer, still less one of GECs near universal esteem, who is willing, and some generous souls who have volunteered to coordinate, it would be quite silly not to gratefully take them up on whatever they can offer. A Barlow is personally not my favorite pattern, but, it will be an excellent knife and one I will probably enjoy carrying quite a bit. (I wasn’t sure I’d love the 2020 forum knife either but it’s one of my most carried.) I look forward to this knife and hope we can all agree to make it happen.

Well said.

Something to do with SPAM if I recall.

Did someone say Spam?

full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back