The Upcoming and Past Toothpick Thread

F0CE236D-2F92-40D8-9DBE-17A27AFA0E9D_zpsjbzcctsw.jpeg

FAA21E27-32A8-48A6-81F6-8A6D29C08430_zpsl9ybe6lh.jpeg

This pattern has grown on me but now I’m torn between the Stag and my favorite dealer DLT ‘s Exclusive !
Edit: Oh and the Che Chen Rosewood with satin bolsters/ no blade etching :)

Last edited:
I just got my Stag in today.

Stag is one of those cover materials that I have really come to love. I used to really dislike it and I would typically associate it with the cheaply made art pieces that would proliferate vendors at various shows that I would work with a buddy of mine at. Despite that, it has really grown on me and though I still remain rather picky (all Stag is not created equal), I can find something to love in just about any piece (for the most part). Tastes are subjective and what I might like, another might not or vice versa.

I asked Mike to pick one out for me that was dark and gnarly, if he indeed had the stock to accommodate such a request. I'd say that he delivered, I'm rather pleased with how the dice rolled, so to speak. The sides aren't very well matched, aside from the color. It isn't a detail that I get too hung up on, some of my favorite Stag pieces have wildly different sides and I think it lends an immense amount of character. The pile side has some swell to it, which makes it a pleasure to have in hand.

Overall, I am very pleased. I think it is darkly handsome.

GH3FbyI.jpg

dtw8f9J.jpg

wXqw7rS.jpg

A pic of the current family:

sCH3Rzl.jpg
That’s is some Gorgeous Stag !!
Wow that’s nice !!!

Wow, I had to bring this thread back from page 6!

Forgot to post my final #12 for this run. Northfield Pony Cut Bone. I love the jigging, not crazy about the color... Otherwise, it is a fine knife and a nice cap for me. I don't know that I am going to keep all of them but what drew me to this pattern was seeing a previous run in Stag that made me go a flutter. The Stag definitely will be staying.

1IRiUjA.jpg

dQrIhj7.jpg

I have two GEC knives. A 71 and a 38. The 38 has a very soft spring. It snaps open with authority, but it does not take much pressure to close. Less than most of my other slipjoints.
Reading through some of the GEC threads it appears the 38's are all over the map in this regard. There are several comments regarding weak springs on the secondaries of the 66's. Comments indicate the 29's have stronger springs than the 66's.
So....this leads to my post here. I like the looks of the #12, but think I'll pass if the springs are as weak as my 38. Any of you have both? How's the spring tension on the 12? The CK website rates them the same. TIA.

I have two GEC knives. A 71 and a 38. The 38 has a very soft spring. It snaps open with authority, but it does not take much pressure to close. Less than most of my other slipjoints.
Reading through some of the GEC threads it appears the 38's are all over the map in this regard. There are several comments regarding weak springs on the secondaries of the 66's. Comments indicate the 29's have stronger springs than the 66's.
So....this leads to my post here. I like the looks of the #12, but think I'll pass if the springs are as weak as my 38. Any of you have both? How's the spring tension on the 12? The CK website rates them the same. TIA.
The pull on the Toothpicks I have (one from the first run and a few from the recent run) are all about a 5 maybe 6? They all have decent snap closing and do not have half stops. I can pinch them all open.

A couple shots of the whole group. No SFOs this time around.

HYXe9sQ.jpg

EsKlM34.jpg
That's a perfect collection. I've toying with buying one, but am having a hard time deciding between the ones you have. I like the jigging on the pony, the color/mottling on the camel and just like wood in general. I don't care for the shield on the rosewood one. It just seems kind of blah. Personal taste and all that. I don't normally consider stag, but yours looks really sharp. Buy them all....hmmmm, scratches beard in thought.

I think the GEC toothpick is under appreciated. Love the smaller size than most toothpicks. Love the grind and absence of a half stop. Pretty too. GEC did a great job with this pattern and it seems they just don’t get the love they deserve

View attachment 1352628
Your probably right. I have often felt like trying one, but never make the move. I like the fact it's built off of the #38 pattern with the tooth pick end.

I like the toothpick pattern quite well... but most of them have blades that are just too slender and delicate looking.
GEC does it right (IMHO of course) with a blade that has some substance to it, without being "bulky" looking. They are slicers deluxe... but still have the blade stiffness to cut through a zip-tie if necessary.
I have the 12 in CheChen rosewood, and the 38 in Bocote, and my nod goes to the 12. It just feels a little better in use.

Now, if I could just find a 12 in stag......

Back