The "Whatever" Thread

As I go through the different Hosted Knifemakers Forums, I notice most have not had any activity for a long time, in some cases it’s been years. Makes me wonder if they still pay membership or if Spark just hasn’t archived them. Might get some traffic here if they were gone.
My membership is up in about a week, wondering what would happen if I decided not to pay? It’s pretty dead here anyway.

I do wonder what would happen if much of the JK focused conversations were out in the general discussion area. Doesn't seem like it should be frowned upon too much as it's fairly similar to people asking about a brand, right? What I'm less sure of is promoting your product, which may or may not be frowned upon depending on how much you do it. Ben from Baryonyx seems to do just fine with it. I don't think his dealership membership status gives him more right to post in the general discussion than a knifemaker about the products offered.

His small fixed blade, grimalkin promoted
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-grimalkin-lives.1654277/#post-18922518

His utility shears
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/prototype-utility-shears.1528629/

His sheath material revelation, now being used on sheaths for products he offers
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-revelation-in-cheap-sheath-material.1612467/

Point being, you may be able to do the same within the general discussion that you do here, except for offer product for sale (would need to move to the exchange), and you wouldn't be able to organize JK specific conversations as well.

I haven't looked into the brand specific areas of the forum, but I feel like they don't see a lot of traffic either unless there are product releases, issues like benchmade had with the gun cutting thing last year, or a question about a product. The last 2 cases are probably equally suited for the general discussion or product review area, and it seems like there are often cross-posts with discussions of those topics in several areas anyway.

I'm not trying to persuade one way or the other, just list my observations. It does seem like there are a lot of knife maker forums that see very little activity and makes that knife maker's forum list seem quite expansive. There are a few that haven't had a new post in 3-5 years, doesn't seem like they should still be up. Maybe see if spark can look into a bit? I have to think other knife makers would appreciate that section getting cleaned up some. Could probably say the same for the Manufacturer's hosted forums.

As I go through the different Hosted Knifemakers Forums, I notice most have not had any activity for a long time, in some cases it’s been years. Makes me wonder if they still pay membership or if Spark just hasn’t archived them. Might get some traffic here if they were gone.
My membership is up in about a week, wondering what would happen if I decided not to pay? It’s pretty dead here anyway.

Totally understand that the forum fees are added overhead.

For what it’s worth, the forum helped push me to buy one of your knives. I was able to look at various models and read reviews. I don’t know how much you pay in fees for BF to host the forum so I don’t know if it worth it for you to continue doing so.

If you’re not posting here it would probably be beneficial to maintain some type of presence online so people can see new models, specials etc.

I think you guys misunderstood, I was wondering if I could get away without paying, I doubt most of the other makers that haven’t had activity are still paying, but the forums are still here. I’m sure I’ll end up renewing.

I think you guys misunderstood, I was wondering if I could get away without paying, I doubt most of the other makers that haven’t had activity are still paying, but the forums are still here. I’m sure I’ll end up renewing.

Ah, that is a good question. Does make you wonder if you "cancel" the forum, does it go away or just stay there. It seems like it stays there. Maybe they're only there because they haven't seen traffic and so it's off everyone's radar. Really not sure. I've had a hard time getting responses from Spark when I was looking for info for proper membership levels so maybe he's just tied up with other things. He seems pretty responsive to the double-post errors we had recently.

my understanding is that the forum is a freebie you get for having a knifemaker membership - whether you maintain the forum or not, it's the same price to have a maker membership.
a lot of the maker subforums are inactive, because the maker themselves either changed venues to FB/Instagram or quit making altogether.

Jk knives in the snow (use in outdoors not in snow as that would corrode it :D ), JKs cutting up food in the kitchen or at dinner carving up steak, JKs on fence posts or neat out-of-the-way places like John discovered, JKs at the beach, JKs on horse back adventures or on the ranch, etc.....you get the idea.....knock yourself out.:thumbsup:
Maybe even JKs on wedding cake!!!

Anyone seen or heard from @ty higg?

That reminds me, I have a sheath in the works with him that I need to follow up on. Should be a neat little altoids tin and knife pouch for the HCL for a grab and go kit.

Back