The "Whatever" Thread

I was scheduled to take my CCL Renewal class this coming Sunday, so I emailed the instructor yesterday morning asking how many were in the class. He said 10, but since he knows I’m older he asked if I would prefer to come in last night for a private class, same price. He has his business working two shifts (they make disinfectant products), so he had to be there later anyway. I took him up on his offer. He even gave me a bottle of hand sanitizer for free.

Hey John,

Are you able to pre-shape micarta scales to something like a dome shaped oval to be applied to the sides of a knife slab prior to overall finishing? Think of something like the add on scales for an Izula. I have a design in mind that only needs the scales for the palm/curled fingers. The butt end will be an unscaled prybar, the business end will be a fat-bellied drop point. I would also like to see a bit of exposed knife slab above and below the scales when looking at the knife laying flat. Does all this make sense and is it doable? Thanks!

Jeff

Hey John,

Are you able to pre-shape micarta scales to something like a dome shaped oval to be applied to the sides of a knife slab prior to overall finishing? Think of something like the add on scales for an Izula. I have a design in mind that only needs the scales for the palm/curled fingers. The butt end will be an unscaled prybar, the business end will be a fat-bellied drop point. I would also like to see a bit of exposed knife slab above and below the scales when looking at the knife laying flat. Does all this make sense and is it doable? Thanks!

Jeff
I’d like to see a sketch of your idea. Side and from the top. I’m thinking it could be done if the scales were preshaped before then put on with screws with the heads ground of. That way there is no chance of glue seeping out.

I lent this one out for a while and it came back “worked”.

RRLR9wK.jpg

A closer view of the mushrooming.

OVL8n4W.jpg

This is after spa treatment starting with 60 grit on the 1 x 30 and finishing with hand work using a scotchbrite pad.

bYJsIYq.jpg

Quite pleased with the results!

Jeff

Looks good. Did you ever put a handle on that axe head that I restored for you?

You actually gifted me a couple. I put a handle on the small scout head and gifted it to Patrick. I still have the larger one (with a few others) as work in progress. The scout hatchet came out very nicely and he loves it!

Jeff

Nice jds1 jds1 - And never ever loan that to the person that "worked" it again.
Great pictures too - very crisp -
Hope all is well up there for you and your family.

best

mqqn

You actually gifted me a couple. I put a handle on the small scout head and gifted it to Patrick. I still have the larger one (with a few others) as work in progress. The scout hatchet came out very nicely and he loves it!

Jeff
I’m talking about the one from the job you had when you were young.

I’m talking about the one from the job you had when you were young.

Oh, the Stagecoach Stop axe head. Nope, that one is still WIP. I’m kind of in limbo now, so it’s as good a time as any to hang it!

Jeff

Can’t close the great outdoors. I’m VERY fortunate to have such beautiful spots so close to home. Going stir crazy like everyone else!

Jeff

Can’t close the great outdoors. I’m VERY fortunate to have such beautiful spots so close to home. Going stir crazy like everyone else!

Jeff

It is good to get out, this was our afternoon yesterday. You can tell we had a good time by the way Izzie is "smiling". Never had a dog before with so much personality. Love seeing her healthy but hate thinking about how old she is and the inevitable. The "pup" is still growing and almost as big as she is. He's in the water playing with my son. The spot is on national forest land and is nice. It wasn't our first choice just the first spot that wasn't busy. I guess the combination of the virus and the great weather for March created the crowds everywhere.

Back