The "Whatever" Thread

I have heard a lot of people are heading to the remote outdoors as a means of social distancing themselves, but was it Canada or a Scandinavian nation asking people to stay at home since the health facilities in those remote areas would be overwhelmed if people get sick? Just curious. Anyone else hear of such things? With a lot of places closing down, I assume parks, outdoor areas and camp grounds too, wouldn't that limit where people can go to get outdoors? I have noticed more people outdoors doing yard work or gardening.....by themselves of course.

I have heard a lot of people are heading to the remote outdoors as a means of social distancing themselves, but was it Canada or a Scandinavian nation asking people to stay at home since the health facilities in those remote areas would be overwhelmed if people get sick? Just curious. Anyone else hear of such things? With a lot of places closing down, I assume parks, outdoor areas and camp grounds too, wouldn't that limit where people can go to get outdoors? I have noticed more people outdoors doing yard work or gardening.....by themselves of course.

We had a discussion similar to this on the bushcraft forum, but many parks were closing more because they were unmanned than because they were restricting traffic. Part of that was related to part of the park needing to close like the shelters or RV campsites while the rustic areas would be fine.

In the cycling community, as it relates to one of your questions, there is a concern for some of the more adventurous and risky of us to dial it back considerably because going to the hospital is even worse than it was before. Many dr's offices in my area actually have plenty of availability, but the hospitals are over-capacity (pretty that way every winter so it's only worse now) so a severe injury could be really bad.

During my bike rides, I see a ton of walkers and cyclists which I think is great overall since the exercise, fresh air, and stress relief will help boost immunity and overall health. Many people don't have much else to do as I'm surprised by the amount of people I talk with at work and in my family that don't really have hobbies. Spare time is spent with the family, watching TV or similar, and then the rare vacation. I've been advising people that with everything already changing, time to make some other life changes and start seeking out some hobbies to pour yourself into for a while.

The governor of Virginia issued a stay at home order yesterday similar to other states. One unusual detail of his order is the duration. It's not 30 or 90 days, through the end of a month, or a number of weeks. The end date is June 10th...........June 9th is an important date to one party, not necessarily the party our governor is associated with.

bikerector bikerector - I have a nice original 1982 Schwinn Mirada - still has the original tires on it. Took it for a ride with Maggie around the lake area here where we live. She has a Trek I bought her a few years ago.

Good way to get out - we are just donkers though -

best

mqqn

Would anyone else be interested in a Mora Eldris inspired JK?

nacyB3T.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
I’m thinking about 1/2” longer, straight spine, 3/32” O1, full flat grind.

Jeff

I'm biased, but the 2/47 prototype is pretty close to that in function. The distal taper John put on it even has the same feel with a really fine front edge like the eldris.

BxQRwM4l.jpg

bsmRINpl.jpg

I'm biased, but the 2/47 prototype is pretty close to that in function. The distal taper John put on it even has the same feel with a really fine front edge like the eldris.

BxQRwM4l.jpg

bsmRINpl.jpg

The 24/7 is nice for sure. I just want something a bit smaller and I love the Eldris handle.

Jeff

The 24/7 is nice for sure. I just want something a bit smaller and I love the Eldris handle.

Jeff

Gotcha, makes sense. There are certainly a few key differences like the symmetric handle and slightly smaller blade. I feel like the hurley creek blade would be right in there if you put a different handle on it. One of my dislikes of the mora eldris was the broad blade for the sort length as I didn't like it for carving as much, but the handle was pretty nice for such a compact package. I do wonder how well that would translate to a less grippy, harder material like wood or micarta as I think one of my likes is the grippy rubber in the short handle.

I would be interested to see something if John or you come up with a design even if I'm not interested enough to purchase myself. I like seeing new things that have a function in mind first.

I never used the eldris with thicker gloves, does the short handle feel big enough in that use or did you have to use the sheath on the handle trick to make it a little longer?

I don’t typically wear gloves when working with knives, so a handle similar to the Eldris should be fine. I’m on the order list, so I’ll be sending John a template soon.

Jeff

I’m thinking about 1/2” longer, straight spine, 3/32” O1, full flat grind.

Jeff

The handle looks comfortable but to me the blade would have to be longer to get some practical application. +1 on the the HC blade being a good length, maybe closer to 3 inches. This would be an interesting design challenge.

Back