The "Whatever" Thread

Snowing like crazy right now, the cars are covered with snow. More coming tomorrow and Friday.

Snowing like crazy right now, the cars are covered with snow. More coming tomorrow and Friday.

Since there's not a dislike button, this comment will have to serve as such. We had a little bit this morning and I could do without more. I suppose if the wind would calm down a bit, that would be a little more acceptable at least. The wind chill hasn't made walks with the family pleasant, especially the little guy.

OK, I think this will be the final Wolverine pattern. I took a little out of the belly, took about 3/16” out of the handle width, slimmed the handle profile and tapered the butt end.

XIEsFic.jpg

The overall handle thickness and shape to be like a utility knife.

2 3/4” blade length
4 1/4” handle length
3/32” O1 full flat grind
Burlap micarta with brass pins and lanyard

What do you guys think?

Jeff

Glad you think so, the cardboard pattern feels right, but you never know.

Jeff

I like the idea of the larger handle and shorter blade, should give good control while cutting.

When I was installing insulation batts for a living I spent 1000's of hours with a Stanley 199 utility knife in my hand. It is a very comfortable handle shape for the light to medium pressure cutting that I would do. I had often thought about replicating that handle on a JK, but now I'll only have to borrow yours to relive my insulator days.

and yes, that stuff itches

I like the idea of the larger handle and shorter blade, should give good control while cutting.

I agree with this sentiment. I think it's one of my favorite setups for general cutting. They're really easy to stash places as well.

I could see the wolverine being a really compact package in pouch sheath. I may be more interested in it now than I was before as it seems like it would be a well-balanced setup for a neck knife, or something along those lines. I suppose that was kind of the thinking behind the mora eldris which that's based on, I just didn't like the eldris blade as much as other small knives I have.

When I was installing insulation batts for a living I spent 1000's of hours with a Stanley 199 utility knife in my hand. It is a very comfortable handle shape for the light to medium pressure cutting that I would do. I had often thought about replicating that handle on a JK, but now I'll only have to borrow yours to relive my insulator days.

and yes, that stuff itches

I made the mistake of unloading a boxcar of that stuff with just a pair of shorts on (no shirt) when I was 18.

Load of Pink Stuff + August heat = misery and cold showers! :(

Jeff

The governor of our state mentioned a study about the pandemic which shows a much more bleak future than other modules. I did a little digging and found the report he referred to. The one sentence that stuck out most to me is this: Researchers at UVA based their modeling on an estimate of positive cases that far exceeds those confirmed and reported by state health officials.
How can researchers choose estimates over confirmed reports unless they wanted the to sure of the end results?

I hope all of you are staying safe throughout this ordeal. I'm doing okay other than needing a haircut and the occasional increase in my blood pressure when reading some of the nonsense online.

Staying safe and sound in Michigan, hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected. Looking forward to a future without the bug! Thanks for your post.

Jeff

It's all a hoax to keep you inside while they finish the 5g towers and full project mk our country. Sorry I went down a you tube conspiracy rabbit hole. Probably the most entertaining thing. Guessing what drugs they are on while filming.

The governor of our state mentioned a study about the pandemic which shows a much more bleak future than other modules. I did a little digging and found the report he referred to. The one sentence that stuck out most to me is this: Researchers at UVA based their modeling on an estimate of positive cases that far exceeds those confirmed and reported by state health officials.
How can researchers choose estimates over confirmed reports unless they wanted the to sure of the end results?

I hope all of you are staying safe throughout this ordeal. I'm doing okay other than needing a haircut and the occasional increase in my blood pressure when reading some of the nonsense online.

To address your question, because the confirmed cases are known to be under-reported and inaccurate. The best I've seen is that the COVID-19 diagnostic test is 70% accurate, which is also why they think there are some cases of people "recovering" and getting reinfected later. They postulate that the one negative results was probably false and they simply never recovered fully. Knowing this, applying the actual positive test records to a model knowingly be inaccurate, though there's not a good guarantee that the estimate is more accurate either.

I did a lot of number crunching a while back as BS test for the "experts" models and it was clear they shouldn't have passed muster, specifically those estimated death tolls in the millions just in the US. I can share some of that via PM or email but I don't want to have that discussion here since it can be boring for those not interested in data analysis and it's a somber topic too.

I'm looking forward to some good weather again to get outside with the kid again. I just started getting him comfortable in the bicycle trailer with me when this cold wave came through. We could still do short stuff but our last two rides were 1-1.5 hours long and freezing temps are a bit chilly for him to be comfortable that long. I need to get him some seat time on the easy stuff so I can start dragging him around the dirt roads and hillier areas. I will say, getting the expensive bike trailer makes dragging him uphill a lot easier than I was expecting so I think we're going to have more fun than I thought. We probably hit any mountain bike trails simply because it feels like driving a semi through tight corners but otherwise the trailer handles really well with the fat tires and suspension. Now I just need to get the wife to come along and we can do a little bikepacking, but for now it gives the wife wifey-time while I get to try and drop the dad bod with the boy.

Back