The "Whatever" Thread

Coyotes are getting active again, one was in my yard when I took my dogs out at 3 this morning. The floodlights didn’t bother it at all. I usually have my heavy wood cane with me, looks like it’s time to add the .38 again. Nobody messes with my dogs!
I hear them around our home but have yet to see one close by. We did have a bear drag a 50lb bag of sunflower seeds off of our carport and across the neighbors lawn. Not sure if it lost interest in the seeds or was scared away by the neighbor's dog but we found the bag mostly intact with just a few small holes from teeth or claws.

The girls took us out to look at decorations last night.

View attachment 1468177

Coolio, did you see any really austentacious decorations? I know in our area the Candlelight tour of homes has gone digital,you go by the homes via a map to those participating to view the decorations on the outside of the homes, and some have downloadable pics and stories for your phone. And it lasts all December, so you can go anytime, get some lunch or dinner and continue at your own pace. At the end of my street, neighbors have their whole lawns covered with lights, decorations and blow up figures and objects. Fun to drive by.

We went to a Christmas light show yesterday. It was a drive through at the state fairgrounds. Unfortunately our timing was off and we spent much much more time waiting in line to get in the gate than actually looking at the lights. It was worth it because the children had a great time.
Overall I think it is a good thing to see various organizations adapt to the current state of affairs and not let the virus ruin Christmas.

In the town next to ours they have an area called The Commons. It’s about 1/2 mile square, and the Village Hall and police station are there, along with a pond and lots of trees. They decorate the entire area with lights and stuff. Normally they have vendor booths there on weekends, but not this year. They have horse drawn carriage rides too.

I'm very pleased at our little block this year. Almost half the houses have put something special up. One house has the most beautiful, or close to, Christmas lights up on their front yard tree

this is basically my favorite season, autumn-winter. They're all great, especially the spring-summer if you live where it snows a lot in the winter.

I just really like how the cold make it possible to enjoy laying/bundling up, and how nice it is in bed right after waking up, just prior to realizing it's time to start the day, when everything is perfectly warm and comfortable, if only for a fleeting moment or two

Last edited:
I'm very pleased at our little block this year. Almost half the houses have put something special up. One house has the most beautiful, or close to, Christmas lights up on their front yard tree

this is basically my favorite season, autumn-winter. They're all great, especially the spring-summer if you live where it snows a lot in the winter.

I just really like how the cold make it possible to enjoy laying/bundling up, and how nice it is in bed right after waking up, just prior to realizing it's time to start the day, when everything is perfectly warm and comfortable, if only for a fleeting moment or two

I remember going to my grandmother's house for Thanksgiving and waking up in the bedroom in the attic, I could smell breakfast, and it was cold up there, so we would rush to get a robe on to get down stairs. It smelled good and it was warm food!!

Ooooo yes that is something I've REALLY been enjoying this season

the smells :)

we have number of different families traditions living around us, Chinese Americans, Korean Americans, Latino/Hispanic Americans, Anglo-Americans, Vietnamese Americans, and more I'm sure more I'm not aware of

now, I only mention this because imagine all the AMAZING smells coming out of each house when they have holiday gatherings?!

bbq (southern, southwestern, Korean, kimchi (it has a distinct odor which I enjoy, which tends to, shall we say, "travels"), burgers/etc), Chinese hot pot smells, Italian cooking smells, I wish I could remember all of them!!!

Last edited:
Ooooo yes that is something I've REALLY been enjoying this season

the smells :)

we have number of different families traditions living around us, Chinese Americans, Korean Americans, Latino/Hispanic Americans, Anglo-Americans, Vietnamese Americans, and more I'm sure more I'm not aware of

now, I only mention this because imagine all the AMAZING smells coming out of each house when they have holiday gatherings?!

bbq (southern, southwestern, Korean, kimchi (it has a distinct odor which I enjoy, which tends to, shall we say, "travels"), burgers/etc), Chinese hot pot smells, Italian cooking smells, I wish I could remember all of them!!!

Now I am hungry, and it is too early in the morning to do anything about it. Are you in the city to smell so many different wonderful things? Would like to hear how they celebrate the holidays, even if some of them do not celebrate Christmas.

Stay safe, hope you are ok now. The things you do to get a little attention from your lovely wife. :Dglad she was there for you.

is your wife a nurse JK?

I learned quick when I was in the hospital - if there was something important I needed, be nice to the nurse, ask them, and they'll take care of business more efficiently than anyone else

and heaven knows the world needs more nurses more than ever

is your wife a nurse JK?

I learned quick when I was in the hospital - if there was something important I needed, be nice to the nurse, ask them, and they'll take care of business more efficiently than anyone else

and heaven knows the world needs more nurses more than ever
No, she works at Target.

Just a quick thought, just hit me, that with all the things we carry, does it just seem nice to unload all the heavy stuff from your pockets and just have one or two things, to make it a light carry? essential tools are one thing, but there is something about just having one or two that almost make you forget you are carrying them. Less is more idea. It kind of goes back to Case Peanut idea in the pocket. It will do the small jobs. That can also be a small Jk too!! :D

Back