The "Whatever" Thread

Still alive and kickin'.
The parade sounds way cool, glad she liked it.

Good to see you back, mykel!

For the newer folks, mykel was the first to put brass liners in a JK - and then he gave it to me!!
This is a JK Bushcrafter with mykel-mods!
DSC_1619.JPG

DSC_1622.JPG

This one will be given to my son when I roll a seven.

best

mqqn

I needed a fire outside tonight for hosting a Covid friendly dinner for friends while it is getting chilly here (ok, it's 53°F tonight). Getting kindling ready with damp wood was fun, but proved my order for a JK with a 4 inch handle is justified. My current fixed blade has a 3 inch handle and just isn't enough for harder work.

What do y'all think?

For fine work I find that a 3 finger handle is very good, but when heavier cutting is required then the 4 finger handle provide more leverage and power. But blade length also figures in.
Example would be a 6" blade would not be comfortable to work with using a
3" (3 finger) handle almost never.

I've never used anything over a 3 inch blade outside of the kitchen. I agree, unless light cutting, blade length over handle length is difficult.

I highly enjoy a 4-finger grip on my fixed blades and would take a shorter blade over a shorter handle. I just find I have a lot more control when my pinky can wrap around the handle, even if only a little. I can do heavier outdoor work with a 4" handle and 2.5" blade than I can with a 3" handle and 3.5" blade.

If I'm looking at more of a bushcraft knife, I love a 5" handle and 5" blade. 4" handles are pretty much a minimum on the fixed blades that I use regularly. Most of the small JK's I've ordered have had stretched handles, like the hurley creek lite with a near 4" handle (I think it's 1/8" shy).

I think the only fixed blade I have anymore with a 3-finger grip is the JK bluegill and that was one that I left on my desk at work for cutting apples and oranges. It's fine for cutting tape and opening packages, which those tasks listed cover 80% of my EDC uses, but when it comes to breaking down boxes or playing with wood the small handle isn't comfortable at all for me. Even the EO1 EDC is on the small side even though the handle is much bigger than the bluegill.

Of the JK models that I would use for kindling, the Mud Turtle is my favorite. For smaller knife, the EO1 Hunter, I have a straight back the I highly enjoy but the standard blade shape is still nice. Mid-size, the Kephart. Over-size, the Hudson Bay.

I do more construction type work with a knife than bushcraft, so I think the standard EO1 shape will be best for me. Full handle with a 3 inch blade should be perfect. A smaller blade would probably be fine, but for the occasional outdoor work, I'll stick with the 3 inch. I love the pictures of the mud turtle though - might be my second JK purchase....I could always use more pictures if anyone wants to post them!

I do more construction type work with a knife than bushcraft, so I think the standard EO1 shape will be best for me. Full handle with a 3 inch blade should be perfect. A smaller blade would probably be fine, but for the occasional outdoor work, I'll stick with the 3 inch. I love the pictures of the mud turtle though - might be my second JK purchase....I could always use more pictures if anyone wants to post them!

For that style of work, that would be a good choice I think. I imagine the compact tool would be solid as well for a slightly larger one.

If you're not familiar with the hurley creek, it's a very nice little blade, a little bigger than the bluegill. I think it's a great EDC or bird and trout knife size. It is smaller than the EO1 for sure though and the fuller handle of the EO1 is good and there's good reason that has been one of John's better selling knives.

I honestly don't know what's required of a knife in construction. For the home repair stuff I usually don't need much and find myself using a swiss army knife of multi-tool a lot.

There was a review thread of the mud turtle where I posted a lot of pictures. That was before I bought my own. It's also a pretty fun knife in the kitchen, camp kitchen, or just messing around with around a bonfire. At this point, I don't know that I have a favorite JK model, because I'm fickle with tastes sometimes, but the mud turtle is probably in the top 5 for "if I could only keep 1" knives if finances required that I get rid of my collection.

Lastly, not knowing what construction requires again, but I really like John's heat treat on S30V if you want some pretty solid edge retention and stain resistance. It's a bear to sharpen, especially compared to O1, but in a small blade I love it. I have an EO1 and 2 deluxe hurley creek's in it. I'm not sure if that's a regular offer but when he orders a bar I usually try to get at least one knife out of it.

Coyotes are getting active again, one was in my yard when I took my dogs out at 3 this morning. The floodlights didn’t bother it at all. I usually have my heavy wood cane with me, looks like it’s time to add the .38 again. Nobody messes with my dogs!

Back