The Wonderous Wharncliffe

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Gevonovich, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    One of my all time favorites Mike!

[​IMG]

2. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I think GEC nailed this model. To my opinion it looks much better than the old time original pattern. The shadow model is the best. Great looking knife !
    Mike

rockgolfer likes this.
  3. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Some select stuff here lately:thumbsup: And @mike Berkovitch grand to see you posting again:cool:

Here's one I like a great deal and is not difficult to find either which is also in its favour. CASE Swayback Gent in Chestnut Bone

[​IMG]

4. JustinR

JustinR

Feb 1, 2008
    Strangely enough when I started collecting, I didn't care for wharncliffe blades at all. 15 years later, I almost exclusively carry a knife with a wharncliffe main.

[​IMG]

5. JustinR

JustinR

Feb 1, 2008
    How could I forget this little guy....a recent arrival that was in my pocket. The Dan Burke collaboration knives were some of the best Queen has done in this millennium.

[​IMG]

6. biomed

biomed Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Some of my Pembertons

[​IMG]

7. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    @JustinR lot of sweet knives you got there buddy :thumbsup:

Will Power and JustinR like this.
  8. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Northwoods Forest Jack - a Derek Bohn design built by GEC on their 54 frame, a bit of a stylistic variation from the standard wharncliffe.

[​IMG]
    Rustic Bohnncliffe / Barehead Mammoth

9. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Winchester by Queen (Bill Howard era)
    [​IMG]

10. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Northwoods Hawthorne
    [​IMG]

11. Dr-Mabuse

Dr-Mabuse

Nov 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging, Jolipapa, pmek5 and 11 others like this.
  12. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Top to bottom: 13 Congress Clerk, 61 Deluxe Congress, 62 Easy Pocket Congress
    [​IMG]

13. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Over the years I’ve had a few wharncliffes pass through my hands but they never resonated enough with me to use or even to keep. I was around when GEC released the 47 and I passed on them (ouch!). I was recently gifted the Rough Ryder (a 47 clone) by Darren @waverave and I’ve been carrying and using it ever since. 95537E6D-F941-4F45-84B1-485CA0E02D41.jpeg

14. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Don't think I've ever posted in this thread :)
    The wharncliffe blade is not my typical carry but there is no denying the aesthetic beauty. I have acquired several now.
    The RR Alan posted is from a really nice production run. I had maybe 7 or 8 of them altogether so pretty decent sample size all things considered. Looking forward to seeing what they do next! (which is crazy when you think about it)

Here is one in Pau Ferro wood
    RR_swayback_03.jpg

15. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Is this an optical illusion? Are these the same pattern/size or did they have two different size wharny whittlers in that series?

mitch4ging likes this.
  16. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Two different sizes. Top: #39097, 3 3/4 inches. Bottom: #39081, 3 1/2 inches.

17. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Wow, thank you. Good to know. I'll have to look for a #39097. What handles were available?

18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The GEC 62 Easy Pocket Congress is a rich seam of Wharncliffe Wonder:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    The ones I know for sure: Burnt Orange Bone, Antique Green Bone, Stag, and Mother of Pearl. I think there were a couple of celluloids, but I would advise against the celluloid as it is especially volatile on the Winchesters (and Case Classics).

Rockon75 likes this.
  20. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    [​IMG]It’s a bit worn but this ~100 year old Hammer Brand looks sort of Wharncliffie like.