The Wonderous Wharncliffe

Just received this for my first fathers day, it's also my first wharncliffe, I use my sheepsfoot and pen blade the most when carving, and sometimes the coping on my Boker congress, so this GEC is a perfect carver for me. The spring green scales are stunning in person. I can't wait to try out the wharncliffe blade.
73a08b46.jpg

6a3dce63.jpg

Oh boy, a friend of mine has a cheapo machete with a wharrencliff blade... Not something I want to take a picture of @_@

Now that I'm back from my fantastic Father's Day/Wedding Anniversary/Daughter's Wedding in San Diego, last Sunday, I got myself this for Father's Day. Really liked the pics y'all posted of the Sway Back Jacks and this Stag looked beautiful.

7423059548_a95d75bd19_b.jpg

7423060028_4f50b329eb_b.jpg

Nice swayback Sardian! not an engraving fan but this one really compliments the knife, beautiful.

I am in the market to pick up my first wharncliffe blade. I was looking at the AG Russell Curved Regular jack, the Case Swayback Jack or case mini copperhead. Good options to introduce myself to this type of blade? Any recommendations? Thanks

Last edited:
I am in the market to pick up my first wharncliffe blade. I was looking at the AG Russell Curved Regular jack, the Case Swayback Jack or case mini copperhead. Good options to introduce myself to this type of blade? Any recommendations? Thanks

All three of these would be fine knives and the prices are all comparable. Take your pick of the one that hits your eye right.

I haven't seen one of the A.G Russell's, but as far as the other two go I have both and really like the swayback jack or gent (2 or 1 blades). They fit in a watch pocket wonderfully and the handle curving opposite of the blade is nice. The copperhead is also nice but rather small and slim in my hands, although I keep on one my desk for opening things.

Thanks for the input. Right now, I am leaning towards the SBJ in CV. This forum seems to love that knife

Thanks for the input. Right now, I am leaning towards the SBJ in CV. This forum seems to love that knife
I think it's one of those knives that Case just got right. Nice color to the chestnut handles version, CV steel, not too big or small, two useful blades, good FnF, and that contour that says 'classic'. As soon as I saw it here I knew I had to have one.

The swayback pattern seems to be popular as there are a number of custom makers who do it beautifully, like T. Davidson and Hiroaki Ohta.

I love wharnies. Here's a crappy cell phone pic of my current wharncliffe traditionals. Tough to pick a favorite out of these, they are all fantastic knives!
7d23d03a.jpg

The swayback pattern seems to be popular as there are a number of custom makers who do it beautifully, like T. Davidson and Hiroaki Ohta.

To be honest, gawking at T. Davidson's offerings in the For Sale forum is what got me looking into these knives in the first place. Just a little out of my price range right now lol

Speaking of Wharncliffe's, my AG Russell Pinched Peanut arrived today...perfect! Two thumbs up to them for getting a new knife to me asap. This is a sweet little knife and my other Peanuts are gonna be jealous :D

Oh yeah, shaving sharp out of the box too :thumbup: :thumbup: Now I just gotta get pics...

Speaking of Wharncliffe's, my AG Russell Pinched Peanut arrived today...perfect! Two thumbs up to them for getting a new knife to me asap. This is a sweet little knife and my other Peanuts are gonna be jealous :D

Oh yeah, shaving sharp out of the box too :thumbup: :thumbup: Now I just gotta get pics...

Hey, I'm really glad to hear it! Thanks for the update.

Yeah: pictures. :)

~ P.

Wharncliffe/Sheepsfoot blade; don't really know the difference.

I like the design and it fits my kind of cutting chores very well. I have a couple more modern knives with this blade design and a pretty traditional Dozier custom that I really like.

(Just realized that some of these might not be considered "traditional".)

Last edited:
Wow, love this thread! But I have to admit, those T.A. Davisons sent a tingle down my leg... :p

Here's a new (old) one I just picked up at an Estate sale. It's a Fighting Rooster Gunstock Whittler from around 1982. The main blade's been sharpened, but not the others. It's really stiff to open, and I still haven't warmed up to the color of the scales, but the price was right, and it's a good knife.

FR1.jpg

Back