Off Topic Thick vs Thin Knife...

Thick/Thin

• Total voters
I'm all about thin blades. I generally won't buy anything over 2mm. This pretty much limits me to traditonals and slipjoints, but i just hate cutting with thicker blades.
Even my beater yard work knife is an opinel.

Right tool for the right job. I'll pry with a prybar, and I'll cut with a knife.

Thin blades, thick prybars, and if you really need? You can typically use a knife to make more tools in the bush.

Thin, always thin, the thinner the better.
I prefer 3/16" or less because they slice better, and because my knives don't see hard use. My favorite for a folder is sub 3/16" thick with a full flat grind, and my favorite for fixed blades is sub 3/16" thick with a mid height Sabre grind, especially when the blade is 1.5" or less in width otherwise a full flat grind might be nice.
Even fixed blades I prefer very thin because I have hatchets.
Vic knives and old imperial knives are the ideal thickness for me in an edc knife because even when they get a bit dull they still cut well.

Last edited:
Ahhh, Marci, I see you have been busy. :cool: About time! Anyway, thick will do what thin will (though not as well) but thin will NOT do what thick will (often). ;)

I like a blade to be as thin as possible without getting too flimsy. I dont do any prying, or even heavy duty cutting. So i prioritize slicing ability of structural rigidity. I know my preference wont survive a drop very well but i still prefer a nice thin blade. But im weird. I also prefer hollow grinds with a wider blade edge to spine.

I think most blades nowadays are too thick. when using a knife as intended a thin blade works fine.
For me 5/32 to 3/16 is about max for a fixed blade. 1/8" is about right for general use.

If the world ended and I could only carry one tool, it'd be a thick fixed blade. Probably an ESEE 5 or something else made of 3V or INFI, PVD coated. It'd need to be able to cut, but not with any specific precision. I'd favor toughness overall, considering I'd be using it for pretty much everything. 1/4 inch thick and around 5-6 inches long would be my ideal preference.

Ahhh, Marci, I see you have been busy. :cool: About time! Anyway, thick will do what thin will (though not as well) but thin will NOT do what thick will (often). ;)

somototypes-ectomorph-mesomorph-endomorph.png

If I want a knife, I want a tool that will cut well. For myself, if a knife is too thick to cut efficiently, it's not much of a knife. The same if a prybar were too weak to pry with, or a shovel too brittle to dig with, or a cup too porous to hold liquids.

BTW, an actual life-saving situation may require cutting (yourself or someone else) free from something; prying is not the only type of life-saving measure.

Jim

Back