Off Topic Thick vs Thin Knife...

Thick/Thin

• Total voters
Hollow grinds don't really "wedge" in most mediums... While in cardboard they are not at their best, thick cardboard being a tricky material, they still don't "wedge" all that severely even in that, although you have to be careful of the occasional acceleration...: A comparably thick convex would be a little more predictable, but that would be about it.

As for burying itself in thick materials while chopping deep into wood, the effect of the Hollow Grind's "wedging" action is beneficial if the Sabre Hollow Grind is set low enough and the blade is heavy and thick enough: The "wedging" sends wood chips flying just like a thick axe, but with the added versatility of fine cutting... In fact for chopping wood, most Sabre Hollow Grinds are not heavy enough and sabre ground low enough to get that benefit...

Overlooked is that, over decades of wear, hollow grinds stay the exact same thickness at the edge, while all other grinds lose geometry acuteness and thicken behind the edge on every single sharpening: Other grinds need really wide blades, or really wafer thin edges, to minimize this geometry change over time...

I suppose you are only talking about folders here, but if you include in this fixed blades, then I can only say you have got to be kidding...

Look at the factory fixed blade makers that offer mostly, or almost exclusively, convex or flat grinds: Blackjack, old and new, Fallkniven, Bark River, Busse, Esee, TOPS, Ontario, most large non-Tanto Cold Steels, and a slew of others I forget...

About the only notable exception in "newer makers" is SOG...

Now look at factory makers that offer almost exclusively hollow grinds on their fixed blades: Buck, Randall.

Current popularity? No doubt about it: Hollow Grinds are just the latest flash in the pan...

Gaston

My apologies, I did indeed mean 'folding' knives.

I think thicker would be better in an emergency when you totally depend upon the blade holding out. Carry two knives???

By thick, I mean in the .12"-.18" range. Not necessarily .25"+

Using and carrying a thick knife brings you close to hypoglycaemia sooner than a thin knife. And not every breakage makes a knife completely useless. Breaking the top inch off of a thin four inch blade still leaves you with a three inch blade that cuts better than a thick knife.

There's no harm in buying and having fun with thick knifes, but I think that extra thickness for unexpected emergency "hard use" is somewhere between overrated and counterproductive.

Well, if carrying a thick knife makes the difference of my becoming hypoglycemic, I should not be out where I am. :thumbsdown: This, from someone who has, many times, been out there. ;)

A thicker blade can be a disadvantage in a survival situation. Performing knife tasks with a thick geometry will cost much more precious energy than doing the same with a knife actually designed for knife tasks.
But I can faster make bigger spear and kill bigger prey and eat more :D

Yonose Yonose
The measurement was done at one point where the blade width is about 1". So values are not taken from the thickest part.

Using and carrying a thick knife brings you close to hypoglycaemia sooner than a thin knife. And not every breakage makes a knife completely useless. Breaking the top inch off of a thin four inch blade still leaves you with a three inch blade that cuts better than a thick knife.

There's no harm in buying and having fun with thick knifes, but I think that extra thickness for unexpected emergency "hard use" is somewhere between overrated and counterproductive.

Sounds like a lot of untested theoretical nonsense.

I have found from using my knives, that for woodsy tasks, the larger knife often uses less energy.
And for those tasks that are better done with a smaller knife, well, I have one of those with me too. ;)

Plus, you wrote "knifes", so your argument is invalid anyway. :D

Edited to add: I am of course referring to large knives as in both long and somewhat thick, not a 4 inch long blade that is 3/8" thick (that would serve little purpose other than to waste energy cutting things).

Back