Things non knife people say

A knife is man's most basic tools .So why shouldn't I carry one ? But so many modern "Men" are clueless !

When I used to show my wife a new knife I had just received, her response was invariably, "It looks just like all the other ones." I don't bother any more.

I used to carry a carbon bladed knife in public, but too often heard when pulling it out to cut something for someone else, "Why is it dirty, don't you ever clean it?" Now I carry stainless. Explanation is just not worth the effort.

When I used to show my wife a new knife I had just received, her response was invariably, "It looks just like all the other ones." I don't bother any more.

I used to carry a carbon bladed knife in public, but too often heard when pulling it out to cut something for someone else, "Why is it dirty, don't you ever clean it?" Now I carry stainless. Explanation is just not worth the effort.
I do monthly cleaning on all of mine a coat of tuff glide make sure everything still functions wanna make sure if I need a different one it's ready to go out but my esse 5 is beyond looking good the black coating is worn away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"You paid $XXX for a knife? :eek: I got mine for $X :p." (which is OK by me) Heaven forbid they should ask what I paid for my watch. :rolleyes:

Tell me the next time you sharpen this knife.

To which I want to reply : Why would you handle a knife any differently when it is pretty darned sharp than when it is xxxxing sharp ? Keep your paw bits away from the sharp part and the food bits under the sharp part.

But in reality I just say : Yes Chef !

"It looks just like all the other ones." I don't bother any more.
I hear yah.
Nex time she says does this peace of clothing make my ____ look fat jusr say "looks like all the other ones".

Nah thats no fun. Better to be fun than a jerk but I can see her point to. Mine won't even look at it if it is open. Something from her past , and present as a paralegal, that creaps her out.

I did once explaine that knives are, sorta, like man jewelry . . . I said you have more than one pair of ear rings don't you.

To her earrings are "important" armament, pocket / EDC are not. Kitchen knives may be a grey area that she doesn't want to discuss or think about right now. . . Don't you have a honeydo to do dear ?

. . . best left there

In a similar situation, my response would be reasonable, even-tempered and non-confrontational. But a small part of me would want the conversation to go this way:

Them: "Why do you have so many knives??"
Me: "...this is America, isn't it?"
Them: "...yes..."
Me: "Then I don't have to answer stupid questions while standing on my own property."

;)

To anything other than a SAK, or bigger than 2 inches::

Aren't you afraid the police catches you with that weapon ?! Why do you carry it?

Gosh...Europe :thumbdn:

Dumbest comment I ever heard from a non knife person was one time this guy noticed I had a knife clipped to my pocket and the guy says: "You know you need a fishing license to carry that knife".

Dumbest comment I ever heard from a non knife person was one time this guy noticed I had a knife clipped to my pocket and the guy says: "You know you need a fishing license to carry that knife".
That's great lol i would have nothing to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"Why do you you carry a knife?" To cut things.
"Is that legal?/What if the police see it?/You can't take that on a plane, you know." 《shrug, silence》
"How many knives/guns/fishing rods/boots/etc. do you have?" Quite a few.
"Why so many?" I like stuff. Collector, I guess.

Folks don't really want an answer, they just want to hear themselves ask the question. And the question isn't really a question; it's a statement. It really means, "I don't get it," or, "I don't like it." So once they've asked the question/made their statement, my short but polite reply is just a conversationally acceptable way of saying, "Message received."

Not everything needs to be discussed and I don't need to win the day conversationally speaking.

Zieg

Usually, is that legal? Granted, I've only been asked if my knife is legal a couple times in the 8 or so years I've been carrying knives, but still more than anything else.

But it's been a long time since these questions came up. And as a horse trainer, everyone knows why I have a knife all the time. Most friends like them, even women. The changeover happened about the age of 35 or 40. I'm curious if fellow 50-plussers hear these questions.

Zieg

My uncle is certinly a non-knife person. I carry concealed and typically carry two knives. (Leatherman micra, Bradford 3, sebenza 25). He once said to me "If you carry a gun all the time why carry knives?" To which I replied "Last time I tried to open a box with my glock things got messy." He doesn't ask anymore.

Back