this is why we can't have nice things

I have no problems with people that want to use jigs. I mean who am I to judge? I just know that FOR ME I made a knife look alot better and cleaner free hand vs when I used a jig. I feel like it took the control out of my hands.

To be considered a master of anything as diverse as knife making is to practice different techniques over time, that give the desired result. Forming a good "strategy" is to put both technique and skill to use in order to achieve that result. The two are not mutually exclusive.

In the martial arts world we simply speak of one technique or another being practiced to the degree, where ones performance is effective. The term skilled is not objective.
One man's skilled is another man's amateurish.

Fred

To be considered a master of anything as diverse as knife making is to practice different techniques over time, that give the desired result. Forming a good "strategy" is to put both technique and skill to use in order to achieve that result. The two are not mutually exclusive.

In the martial arts world we simply speak of one technique or another being practiced to the degree, where ones performance is effective. The term skilled is not objective.
One man's skilled is another man's amateurish.

Fred

that makes alot if sense fred thanks for the encouragement

I can bet that this blank will be more accurately finished then any other blank free hand grind on 2X72 belt grinder
Wow! Tell that to someone like Nick Wheeler. Or any of the other fine blade smiths who are here.

Wow! Tell that to someone like Nick Wheeler. Or any of the other fine blade smiths who are here.

Nick Wheeler ? Is it the guy who made his quench tank from Porsche parts and make some insane knives on CNC :) Ok , no problemo ...... Hey Nick , I can make some perfectly symmetrical and geometric precision blade .Only I will use is my file jig , sand paper , flat granite plate and my brain :D
Ok , seriously now ... . I learned a lot here .I ask a lot here . I like to share what I know . I make some usable knives for me and friends . But , do not underestimate this file jig tool . If you learn how to use it You can make some serious blade .....Evan convex one :thumbup: That was my point and I tried to help and encourage Valknut to try again ................
Now , I have several very accurate comparator gauges and I m thinking how to prove that this will be perfect precision blade :) I'm almost done .... :) A little more work and I'll finish with this blade ....made on file jig :thumbup:

1b5mb.jpg

k200vm.jpg

2rhlhjp.jpg

kbrsly.jpg

51cyvs.jpg

29vfaz5.jpg

PS . this blade pattern is from dcknives not mine .

Last edited:
that's a nice blade natlek. I would never underestimate a man with both skill and a file. sure a good 2x72 makes things go faster but I seriously doubt it makes anything "more precise " that comes with experience

Can we see the shoulders at the plunge? Nice blade :)

Besides isn't a grinder made just because someone said screw all this hand filin ;)

As you all know there are people who think using a tool rest is less artful or is in some way cheating when grinding blades. I use a rest of some kind on every knife I make but fortunately for me I feel no shame at all. I even use a piece of masking tape to show me where I want my plunge line. I always put Dykum on the edges of my blades and scribe the thickness I want before heat treat so you know that I will take every advantage possible in my quest to make a decent knife. I just have to live with myself and somehow get to sleep at night. I just hope that I can look at myself when shaving tomorrow. Larry

CCkB6oLm.jpg

As you all know there are people who think using a tool rest is less artful or is in some way cheating when grinding blades. I use a rest of some kind on every knife I make but fortunately for me I feel no shame at all. I even use a piece of masking tape to show me where I want my plunge line. I always put Dykum on the edges of my blades and scribe the thickness I want before heat treat so you know that I will take every advantage possible in my quest to make a decent knife. I just have to live with myself and somehow get to sleep at night. I just hope that I can look at myself when shaving tomorrow. Larry

CCkB6oLm.jpg

I wouldn't feel any shame .

If I could get a CNC or even just a mill or surface grinder I'd be more then happy to utilize it. ;)

That said I intend on thinking up every way I can to make to the best of my abilities will allow .

Edit the end product is what counts also just thought this there can be a big price difference between machine made and made.by a machine of a man (Nick wheeler, Howard Clark , Don Hanson many others .

In fact, everyone starts with perfectly prepared steel made using hi-tech tools so using jigs of any kind should not produce shame. :)

It really is just a weird ego trip as Joe Caswell said.

I do not use a grinding jig because I do not like to, but I do use a file guide, work rest for knifemaking and for wood working and machining I use all kinds of jigs.

What is kinda funny is some who complain about using jigs, but also have some blades water jetted and sell kit knives :rolleyes:

As long as you end up making a great product that is what counts.

I enjoy the hand crafted artistry of making knives one at a time, but If I did this for a living water jetting and machining, employees would be used to make quality knives to keep the lights on and food on the table.

What Adam said.

Now I have to go use my Porsche quench tank.

You know I'm joking , right ? Now , about Porsche quench tank :) Here is the picture from Porsche torque tube and picture of your quench tank ...... I'm a mechanic , so I connect your picture with what I know :)
I apologize if I offended you , that in any case was not my intention :thumbup: Otherwise I've read many of your posts,video ... thanks for the generous sharing of information .

jfk8e8.jpg

sxovgk.jpg

Interesting thread, but I have to get to work banging this piece of granite up against some flint. Shame on all of you for using grinders, files, and Porche's :D

Can we see the shoulders at the plunge? Nice blade :)

Besides isn't a grinder made just because someone said screw all this hand filin ;)

Shoulders at the plunge is not that important to me in this stage of grinding .I have more to grind to get to the center line .... It's so easy to correct them at the end .But anyway , here they are how they look for now ......... :p

14dkos2.jpg

I assume that you and Valknut are very young :)

So , don't wait make your tanto knives , I will help you to grind them right with file jig :thumbup:

dqr9s8.jpg

2805aub.jpg

Ok , valknut .... anyway I will explain how I do that on file jig . After I cut blank , I mark where I want plunge line and how high I want to grind , next I draw center line . I do grind in 3 step .That way is much easy because I grind with file less material in every step and I have better control where and how much I grind .... In first and second step I don t grind right to the center line , I leave little more steel which I will grind in final step .....It s good when grind , from time to time to make some draw filing with file............I use two file / same model/ , each mounted on steel rod and when I change the side which I grind I change the file too , because I want side of file which has no teeth to be from plunge side ...Of course , I can use only one file but then it is necessary to disassemble the file from rods to switch the side ...

w8rm0h.png

2nl8j6e.jpg

2md3vjl.jpg

347vbjr.jpg

1to3kz.jpg

ilxezp.jpg

jb5rp0.jpg

On same file jig you can make plunge line from both side before you start to grind blade ..You need round file mounted on steel rod .All you need to do that is to be careful with grinding angle ............

2eduj3q.jpg

End here is mu quench tank :D

2mfd9om.jpg

Last edited:
Natlek, I like your file jig. You're the first person besides myself that I've seen using a tie rod end to support the bar. :thumbup:

Back