this is why we can't have nice things

Natlek, I like your file jig. You're the first person besides myself that I've seen using a tie rod end to support the bar. :thumbup:

Thanks :) I don t like clank-clank sound when use with eyeball bolt . I have another but smaller jig , use for final sharpening my knive .And I discovered that it is also good to grind first step .....

2euirsk.jpg

And , here is / for me / most important tool I made for my file jig , and I think you will like that too . It make life easy , hand sanding blade after file grinding is most tiresome part of the work for me . With this tool it s much faster and probably more acurate . I have make several , for different grade sand paper ..........
But first last check with file ....

aonkh2.jpg

34j5gtw.jpg

wasrkl.jpg

It s time for sandpaper ..........

1z2dqo5.jpg

2zp4g92.jpg

11l1qhw.jpg

r8uz6g.jpg

efmq01.jpg

2lc3ako.jpg

okdcae.jpg

That it's for now , its too hot here .....next sanding after HT . BW it is 52100 , my favorite steel :thumbup:

I finished this one to .It s ready for HT , first one for me from 80CrV2 steel ...

9krte1.jpg

5bu5vm.jpg

I hope valknut will give another chance to file jig :thumbup:

PS . valknut , somehow I occupied your thread .If it bothers you just say .

Last edited:
Nice jig I'm not as young as I want to be 32.

Was just curious as how the plunges looked :thumbup:

Edit oh yea the tie rod is the only way to go with this .

I might have to make one :)

Nice jig I'm not as young as I want to be 32.

Was just curious as how the plunges looked :thumbup:

Edit oh yea the tie rod is the only way to go with this .

I might have to make one :)

Well , In my time I tried to make an appointment with girl with Rotary Dial Phone :) and my son today asked me how fast Internet has that phone :grumpy: So , you a still young men for me :thumbup:
Now , plunges .......IF you grind both side correctly , plunge should be fine . Straight line where will be edge and same thickness from plunge to the tip is what is important to me .You can always mask that detail to look perfect /plunge shoulder / if you want , but edge grind will easy reveal fraud :D Same with grind , if edge grind line is not constant width / usually wider at the tip and at the plunge / is a sign of uneven thickness on bevel grind .......

Last edited:
Natlek, I like your file jig. You're the first person besides myself that I've seen using a tie rod end to support the bar. :thumbup:

Ha, I was going to say the same thing!
http://www.stoneandsteel.net/anti-rocking-device/

I love mine. Built it around 1999, and use it all the time, for plunges or sanding or cleaning up grinding mistakes.
Cool thing is my son just made his first knife, all by hand, using this jig for all his plunge work and sanding.

Great minds think alike??

Good work Natlek, I like your take on it.

Willing to throw some photos of yours up, NC Biker? I would love to see them.

Brome

I like how you use drill chuck :) You have very nice shop and it's good that your son like this kind of work . I would like to see his first knife , must be proud :thumbup: My son /18year/ still don't want to try :grumpy:

Here is my round file setup ............

20sdbwm.jpg

2ypf4ns.jpg

Ha, I was going to say the same thing!
http://www.stoneandsteel.net/anti-rocking-device/
Great minds think alike??
Willing to throw some photos of yours up, NC Biker? I would love to see them.

Brome

Mine is set up for sharpening, although I've gotten hooked on using Nathan's parallelogram and and the 2x72 for sharpening lately. On my jig, I have a piece of angle iron and a tapped piece of flat bar so that I can change out different grits of sandpaper. It worked well, but Nathan's rig works great and I can run it wet to keep things cool.

jig2.png

Here is Nathan's set up:

[video=youtube;u0Iu_EEyEIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Iu_EEyEIU[/video]

Back