Thoughts and impressions if the new Micro/IBBB/Bawanna Bowie Good and bad.

Thank you, I agree about how lucky I am.

Each time I have seen pictures of it it just keeps getting better and better. It started off beautifully in Nepal where Bhakta created the beautiful blade. Then it traveled through Reno to WA where it lost a little extra weight from the metal behind the handle and gained some seriously awesome checkering thanks to the skill and craftsmanship of that extremely talented wood worker and even metal morpher magician Bawanna, who found a few ways to improve perfection, then even created the awesome skipline checking, that I do love the look of. Then is headed off to SC where it met up with leather bender extraordinaire Pugs who listened to my concerns about the sheaths he has been building for these knives and came up with a way I could get the incredible look of the beaver tail and the style of the molded sheath he had done for some of the original IBBBs that I really wanted. Based on that concern he worked out how changing the placement of the belt loop it would fit my waist without the problem men's sheaths have on women because of the difference in ratio between hips and waist. When he showed me the pictures this morning I was blown away by the entire package and how it all came together thanks to all the craftsmen involved.

I can't wait to hold her in my hand. Truely a special knife, and the fact that both of these fine men donated their time and skill to Auntie's Kami Medical Fund makes it even more special.
Thank you both of you.

Last edited:
Man, Pugs that's some great looking leather:eek:

I'm absolutely loving this little beastie. Here's a couple of quick and dirty pics

Here's my Micro with my ugly but functional back pocket sheath and an LCP for size reference.
lcp micro (640x480).jpg

My wife asked me to dice some tomatoes for a dish she was bringing to a luncheon today. Of course, I had to use MY knife:p
sliced tomatoes (640x480).jpg

Finally, here's a bowl of the end results:)
diced tomatoes (640x480).jpg

Looks tasty Steely. Throw some Cilantro, onion and jalapeno in that and you would have some mighty fine eats. And look how the knife sliced right through. No muss, no fuss just chopped tomatoes. Bowies!... it's what made what's for Dinner!

Yeah my wife added cilantro, corn, black beans, and some lime juice. The bowie was used for the other cutting duties as well, but by that time I was covered in tiny bits of herbs and citrus juice, so i figured the shot of the tomatoes was enough:p

Fun Fact: My IBBB is sharp enough to slice skin on my thumb and me not even notice.
Another Fun Fact: Lime juice quickly points out where the cut is:D

Ah yes, the old "Let's find all the nicks and cuts by applying citrus juice to the hands" method. I recognize that plan. Have done it with many many fine flavors. But my favorite was a year or so ago when I accidently knocked the top off the can of pepper spray "AFTER" I had spent the entire day picking blackberries. OWWWWWWW! to use an old fashioned weight lifting comment "Feeeeeeeeeel the Burn!"

My IBBB just arrived! I'm really suprised how light this knife feels in the hand. I can't wait to take it out for a spin.

Thats the longer handle one im pretty shure! Glad you finally got one Blue. That one looks especially nice:thumbup:

Yep one of the longer handled second gen ones. Congrats Blue. I have to agree with Ndog, the wood on that one looks like it is really nice. They make a great little all purpose knife. I haven't been able to carry mine EDC as I have been in the big city lately and they have some strange ideas about how scary sharp objects are. But when I am outside of the city, I find I rarely don't have it with me. The box of EDCs it replaced are getting lonely with the exception of the tiny mite I use in Seattle because it meets the size limits. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine.

Very nice looking micro there Blue, love the handle. They are some really fine blades, I love mine.

Mine rides on my belt in a custom sheath.
The best way to carry this mini micro bowie is!

Shavru: My boss is terrified of sharp pointy objects no matter how big or small but he does use a knife to do his kill a lamb ritual once a year. I dont get it? Yesterday he wanted to go cut some bamboo someone was giving away so I told him id gladly help. Never turn down a chopping opportunity like that. Bamboo is wicked fun! I pulled out a razor sharp E-toh and I thought he was going to pass out. I handed it to him and he made a few cuts and actually got comfortable with it after a few safety lessons. He thinks of them as weapons and im constantly telling him they are tools that make the job easier. Maybe he will loosen up on the Micro now? Like the ol addage goes: You cant train a horse if he aint in the stables. Next ill take him to the range:eek:

LoL Ndog, I probably wouldnt take my boss to the range. Too much chance of my forgetting it isn't a fantasy and the face I am aiming at ISN'T the target I PRETEND is the boss....

The best way to carry this mini micro bowie is!

When I showed mine to a friend he liked the knife so much that he decided to make a leather sheath for it. Believe it or not, this is is first sheath ever.
IMG_20140608_185037_edit.jpgIMG_20140608_185105_edit.jpg
Sorry for the crappy smart phone pics

One thing we noticed - Beginner's error - is that the strap was in the path of the cutting edge of the blade. :eek:
Instead of starting from scratch - we inserted a Kydex layer inside of the leather strap. Which actually worked out pretty good. :D

He did real good on that first time or 10th. That's one of the things I don't like about a retention strap, it seems it's always in the way of the cutting edge. You almost have to hold the strap out of the way, sacrificing your finger to save the leather.
Probably a worthy sacrifice depending on the quality of the leather.

He did real good on that first time or 10th. That's one of the things I don't like about a retention strap, it seems it's always in the way of the cutting edge. You almost have to hold the strap out of the way, sacrificing your finger to save the leather.
Probably a worthy sacrifice depending on the quality of the leather.

I think he's gifted. He told me he spent a lot of time in his shoemaker uncle's shop when he was a kid and never found an excuse to do some leather work.
Last summer he bought a old motorcycle and redid the seat in heavy leather. He also carved a nice drawing on it. I was really impressed.

After my micro bowie sheath, he made me another one for a big Kuk. The design was inspired by Pugs' work. It turned out even better than the one he did for the Bowie. He's having a hard time with the stitching. To make even and aligned holes in 8-10 ounce leather parts is no piece of cake. From the pics posted here, Pugs really mastered that part.

For the retention strap issue, the inside Kydex layer really does the trick.
You can see the blade was starting to chew the leather and then, next to no damage on the Kydex.
IMG_20140608_195015.jpg
We consider this "setup" as a prototype but the idea of using Kydex to protect the retention strap will remain as a viable option.

Last edited:
Back