• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Thoughts on authorized dealers raising GEC prices above the minimum sale price.

I don’t think anyone here is complaining about paying tax and shipping... Or even a markup of a few dollars.

Barry charges tax and shipping on the GEC #19. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that after charging tax and shipping, he then increased the price of the GEC #19 another 30% above the MAP prices most other dealers are charging. It just doesn’t sit well with me and turns me off from buying his inventory that IS reasonably priced.

I bought my second GEC TC barlow from Barry (as well as a couple of other knives). I felt I was treated fairly then. I paid a small premium ($10 - $15) above the prices other dealers had them posted for (on top of the tax and shipping) and I was happy to do so! Help support a small business? Heck yea! A 30% markup above MAP is a no-go for me.

GPK took a step farther and priced theirs at 40% above the MAP prices most other dealers were selling theirs for.

That's just excessive and reeks of greed. GPK is a much bigger dealer than a lot of the others. Gotta draw that line in the sand somewhere.

Last edited:
However much the businesses are hurting due to this years downturn, so are we, the customers. Even those with jobs all know someone or have a family member who is in trouble and they're probably worrying about their own financial security. I'm not so sure that a short term solution which can serve to alienate customers is a good long term strategy in what is a small niche market. Especially when this is not an overall price raise to cover higher costs but a targeted raise to take advantage of a product being extremely popular.

A computer store raises prices specifically on apple products because 'well you'll pay whatever it costs to get them because you're apple zombies right?'. Would leave a bad taste in the mouth. We're all for supporting small business but perhaps not to the extent of being milked in a targeted way?

Not that it won't or isn't working, all the GEC's will still fly off the shelves, but for those who are bothered by this, it's not just GEC's they won't be buying at those stores. Now or in the future.

I don’t think anyone here is complaining about paying tax and shipping... Or even a markup of a few dollars.

Barry charges tax and shipping on the GEC #19. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that after charging tax and shipping, he then increased the price of the GEC #19 another 30% above the MAP prices most other dealers are charging. It just doesn’t sit well with me and turns me off from buying his inventory that IS reasonably priced.

I bought my second GEC TC barlow from Barry (as well as a couple of other knives). I felt I was treated fairly then. I paid a small premium ($10 - $15) above the prices other dealers had them posted for (on top of the tax and shipping) and I was happy to do so! Help support a small business? Heck yea! A 30% markup above MAP is a no-go for me.

GPK took a step farther and priced theirs at 40% above the MAP prices most other dealers were selling theirs for.

That's just excessive and reeks of greed. GPK is a much bigger dealer than a lot of the others. Gotta draw that line in the sand somewhere.

Greed, by definition, is what makes businesses work.

The counter-balance is consumer discretion.

I understand not liking it, but if people are going to plunk down the inflated prices then it might mean you end up opting out of the madness altogether. Do your best to support the guys like Mike for as long as you can.

Capitalism and Econ 101 aside, who are these mystical people paying two and three times the price of GECs? Are they oil sheiks from foreign lands? Is Bill Gates a collector? Who are these big money buyers? Enquiring minds want to know

Capitalism and Econ 101 aside, who are these mystical people paying two and three times the price of GECs? Are they oil sheiks from foreign lands? Is Bill Gates a collector? Who are these big money buyers? Enquiring minds want to know

Speaking as someone who's done what you're talking about, the simplest answer is "Sometimes you want what you want, and if only one person has it, you'll pay what it costs." Simple as that.

I understand not liking it, but if people are going to plunk down the inflated prices then it might mean you end up opting out of the madness altogether. Do your best to support the guys like Mike for as long as you can.

I plan to support all the dealers that charge the minimum advertised price. Heck I'll use them to buy my non-GEC knives as well to help them make more money. I respect them for not taking advantage of their customers.

What I won't do is support other dealers who are trying to flip knives. Are they allowed, sure. I'm also allowed to try to save some money during these trying times and avoid them for any future purchases.

However much the businesses are hurting due to this years downturn, so are we, the customers. Even those with jobs all know someone or have a family member who is in trouble and they're probably worrying about their own financial security. I'm not so sure that a short term solution which can serve to alienate customers is a good long term strategy in what is a small niche market. Especially when this is not an overall price raise to cover higher costs but a targeted raise to take advantage of a product being extremely popular.

A computer store raises prices specifically on apple products because 'well you'll pay whatever it costs to get them because you're apple zombies right?'. Would leave a bad taste in the mouth. We're all for supporting small business but perhaps not to the extent of being milked in a targeted way?

Not that it won't or isn't working, all the GEC's will still fly off the shelves, but for those who are bothered by this, it's not just GEC's they won't be buying at those stores. Now or in the future.
You're right regarding everyone hurting; that's essentially the game the dealers are playing. They're trying to incrementally raise prices such that demand is more in line with supply.

I don't think its unreasonable to charge $100 for a knife that's easily selling for $250 on the secondary market.

My entire thesis for this thread has been "the market price is far above the price dealers are charging hence dealers need to raise prices"

Speaking as someone who's done what you're talking about, the simplest answer is "Sometimes you want what you want, and if only one person has it, you'll pay what it costs." Simple as that.
I've paid a premium for a Beer Scout long after they were out in the marketplace so that I understand. But paying 3 times for something that literally just dropped fascinates me. Sometimes these knives are still available at the distributors. I'll watch these auction listings just to see where they go and I'm blown away by what someone somewhere is willing to pay for these blades

I don't think its unreasonable to charge $100 for a knife that's easily selling for $250 on the secondary market.

My entire thesis for this thread has been "the market price is far above the price dealers are charging hence dealers need to raise prices"

A few flipper sales on ebay at several hundred percent of retail doesn't mean that is the market price for these items. It just means there are a few collectors out there that are pretty well off financially. It doesn't mean the average GEC buyer is willing to spend that much for one.

You're right regarding everyone hurting; that's essentially the game the dealers are playing. They're trying to incrementally raise prices such that demand is more in line with supply.

Nobody wants to pay higher prices for anything but people are obviously “willing and able” to do just that, whether we like it or not, the market doesn’t care. In addition to the secondary market prices, the speed at which GEC knives sell tells you the price is too low.

Nobody wants to pay higher prices for anything but people are obviously “willing and able” to do just that, whether we like it or not, the market doesn’t care. In addition to the secondary market prices, the speed at which GEC knives sell tells you the price is too low.

So, common working folks being able to afford something nice means the price is too low?

That pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm still wondering why a knife made from the same materials as the 74 but a third the size is more expensive. I'm in the camp that a dealer can charge what they want and if I want to pay the price I'll buy it. Its strange that just a few weeks ago, in my opinion, a more desirable knife sold for $20 less.

I've paid a premium for a Beer Scout long after they were out in the marketplace so that I understand. But paying 3 times for something that literally just dropped fascinates me. Sometimes these knives are still available at the distributors. I'll watch these auction listings just to see where they go and I'm blown away by what someone somewhere is willing to pay for these blades

Well, I wasn't speaking of anything that had just dropped. I generally do not do that. I was speaking only of knives that were long gone and only being sold by people on Ebay. Some of the rarer, desirable knives go for huge money specifically because there are so few of 'em. I don't love it, but it's either that, or do without. That said, I have my own internal metrics that I match things against. When those Beer Scouts were going crazy on Ebay last month in response to how well received the Beer & Sausage knives were, I just laughed. I'd never pay that much for one of those, because I never liked the Beer Scouts that much.

That pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm still wondering why a knife made from the same materials as the 74 but a third the size is more expensive. I'm in the camp that a dealer can charge what they want and if I want to pay the price I'll buy it. Its strange that just a few weeks ago, in my opinion, a more desirable knife sold for $20 less.

Agreed. The #74s are a proven pattern, and they had to have known they would sell every one they made, but the #19 is just completely underwhelming. I mean, as a $50 knife, it'd be pretty neat. As ANYwhere above that? I'm out. Well, full disclosure, I was never going to buy any #19s in any event, entirely too small for me.

A few flipper sales on ebay at several hundred percent of retail doesn't mean that is the market price for these items. It just means there are a few collectors out there that are pretty well off financially. It doesn't mean the average GEC buyer is willing to spend that much for one.

I get exactly what you’re saying. I check the exchange religiously and have notifications set (just like most) and it’s pretty easy to keep track of knives and what they sell for. I notice there’s always that same group of names buying and selling at larger prices. Most others would like to pay a fair price which is why these threads come up all the time.

I stopped wanting to pay it and am now back in the camp where I buy a more generic GEC here and there and stay away from the expensive SFO’s. I see now that they aren’t really worth it. Customs are much better :)

The appearance that the Dealers are now intentionally inflating prices is a big turn off.

They sell out so fast due to some people attempting to flip them for easy money. I'm sure GEC's fan base has grown, but the speed the knives sell out is more likely from people trying to by all the stock, and attempt to flip them on eBay.

The secondary market prices are no where near what these knives are worth. Sure 10-20 knives will sell at an inflated price, but good luck selling 400-500 of them for that price. I admit GECs are a good value for the craftsmanship, but some of the inflated prices from dealers starts making other knives more appealing.

It doesn’t matter if 1000 people buy them or one person buys them and then sells them to 1000 others at a higher price. The “flipper” becomes a secondary disruption system (as unseemly as that is) and the reason they do it is because the market is there, and they can.

How fast they sell is indicative of the low price in the same way that slow sales are indicative of a price that is likely too high, all other things being equal, of course.

Back