Thoughts on Forged in fire

Nonsense. Mace's winning blade was not mono-steel. HT has very little to do with it being mono-steel or not.

If one clearly does not understand what fairly basic terms like "HT" or "monosteel" mean, they would be well-served to read more and post less in ShopTalk. Just my opinion, of course.

I did not take sides here. Just tried to explain what I thought he meant. Maces blade was pattern welded out of all hardenable materials and I think that Murray was saying that it was HT like a mono steel blade, that's all.

I have been making knives and steel for almost 40 years. You obviously don't know me. BTW, my son has a PHD in metallurgy.

Hoss

I did not take sides here. Just tried to explain what I thought he meant.

I misunderstood your previous post,and I apologize for being a snot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Devin Thomas has a pretty good grip on these things, James...

I'm sure that's true. I do not know forum-names or who's-who in the upper echelons of the handmade/custom knife biz, and frankly I have no interest in figuring that kinda stuff out. I use my real name everywhere I go and I listen eagerly to everyone who knows more than me (which is almost everyone!).

I do not "respect" or "disrespect" anyone based on their reputation or success.

My forum name is my name, Devin Thomas.I'm not used to being talked down to.

Hopefully we can look past this.

Hoss

Hoss

I have to admit that was pretty funny and I bet many said "Ohhhhhh, he has no idea who he is talking to lol"

Hoss
I have to admit that was pretty funny and I bet many said "Ohhhhhh, he has no idea who he is talking to lol"

No one was "talking down" to anyone. If anyone is touchy or upset about "being talked down to"... I honestly don't know what to say about that.

Again, I apologize if I've spoken out of turn.

Alright...everyone calm down.

I doubt anyone who knows Devin will doubt his grasp of damascus welding and HT.

Lets all just try and comment about the show, not each other.

My kid watched the whole series on DVR last week, and she pointed out something I completely agree with... it would be cool and fun if they invited all the previous winners back for an end-of-season "tournament of champions" type thing. Maybe throw in a couple "wild card" makers from the folks who took second place on their episode?

After 2 seasons, if it's 8 episodes again, they'll have enough 'champions' to have 4 shows of 4 champions each, and then the champ from each of those could go into the champion of champions round for a 5th show =P

Maybe this is a dumb question, but from episode 1 or so I have wondered why no one has used a super tough steel (s7, l6, 3v etc) to make their swords? Sorry its a newbie question, I have never made a blade (but hope to soon, trying to read till my eyes bleed), but they seem like better options for 3' blades than say, san mai or pattern welded stuff.

Properly made, the steel choice makes very little difference as far as toughness. Geometry, and HT are what makes a blade tough. New makers ( and some old ones) often look at charts and use the test data to pick a steel. A high Charpy impact rating may seem to indicate a stronger steel. but in knife thicknesses and use, it is often not much of an issue.

A blade properly make and HTed with 1084 may be just as good at most tasks as one made from S7. There is a good reason few real swords are made from many of these more exotic steels, like S7,....they only do one thing well. Of your list L-6 is one that is often used for blades because it has several attributes. Its cousin, 15N20 is also popular. 3V is very popular in some knife use situations....but may not be as good for others.

My dear dad (linguist, professor, storyteller, poet, writer) used to say, only somewhat tongue in cheek, "Don't worry about the facts, just get the story right!"

People love stories, more than anything, and they buy our knives because there's a story in a handmade knife.

One of the best stories of all time is of Japanese culture. Never mind that most of the techniques they worked out were pretty much making the best of a bad situation- lack of resources, isolation, primitive methods- it's a great story, and what they did with what they had is often pure genius.
People want so bad to believe that the old way is the best way, and to some extent it is.
If a person, bladesmith, fanboy, or customer, chooses to believe that a laminated steel HAS TO be better in every way than a monosteel, there's no point in suggesting that there are many paths to the sea.

I'm like just about everyone else, I absolutely love laminated and mixed steel blades. Unlike a lot of folks, though, it's not an article of faith for me, just an appreciation of what goes into them and how great they look, and the fact that, against all odds, they're often pretty damn great tools.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but from episode 1 or so I have wondered why no one has used a super tough steel (s7, l6, 3v etc) to make their swords? Sorry its a newbie question, I have never made a blade (but hope to soon, trying to read till my eyes bleed), but they seem like better options for 3' blades than say, san mai or pattern welded stuff.

Unless I'm mistaken, Mr. Parkinson, winner of episode 1, used L6 for his katana.

I think rays knife failed the coconut chop for two reasons, varnished handle, and coconut juice, The knife twisted due to a slippery grip on 2 and 3, frame by frame it looks like this on both, Its a little tougher to see on 2 as he was using the tip to cut

A bigger non finished handle might have made all the difference, two wicked side flex's might be what made it delaminate

*EDIT* But it did keeeel one coconut ;0)

As a scientist by training and trade, I'm REEEAALLLLLYY bothered by how subjective the blade tests are. Sure, they do a fairly good job of swinging the blades similarly for all entrants, but the only times that I feel the tests are truly "fair" are the ones using automated systems. There is no way that they can claim 100% reproducibility of their tests.

I know that Ray's blade wasn't perfect, but I was screaming at the TV that the test was not carried out in a completely fair manner.

As a scientist by training and trade, I'm REEEAALLLLLYY bothered by how subjective the blade tests are. ... I was screaming at the TV that the test was not carried out in a completely fair manner.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. I've been saying that from episode 1! I still shake my head at that wall of shrubbery used to test the gladius.

Back