Tidying up the new -62.

Put the BK-62 through the rounds last weekend.
Not really.
But it was in the pack on a really wet day. Then lots of hard work. Slicing apples, fudge, and sausage.
Camp-mates washed it.
Brought it back. Been in leather for a week.

Ugh:
VUvHh6V.jpg

A little PB-Blaster, a little Meguiar's Ultra Cut 105, a little 0000 steel wool, and a little elbow grease. That'll buff right out.

Here they are, at 400 grit.
Smooth as a baby's bottom.

LZMlav2.jpg

Once I get lunch, work a couple other projects, and the spirits dry, I'm thinking 3 coats of Tung oil will be really nice on these babies.

Any recommendations for treating/sealing/protecting the tang under the scales?
Coconut or Flaxseed oil? Tung oil? Automotive wax? Other?

oof, but happy it cleaned up well.
I totally waxed the tang under the handles as almost the first thing out of the box.

A carnuba-based wax isn't a bad idea. Butcher block treatment, a non-toluene furniture wax like 'Classic Wax'.

Nice job man. I put Danish oil on the inside of my scales, and the steel has a patina on it.

Looks good, Xr6!

I just happened to have butcher block oil with beeswax and caranuba, so two coats of that went all over the tang.

1st coat of Tung oil is curing on the scales.
Looks like 3 coats is a 3 day process...

JAalPqw.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the grain on the left one.

Looks good, Xr6!

I just happened to have butcher block oil with beeswax and caranuba, so two coats of that went all over the tang.

1st coat of Tung oil is curing on the scales.
Looks like 3 coats is a 3 day process...

JAalPqw.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the grain on the left one.
Looks Great!

Here they are, at 400 grit.
Smooth as a baby's bottom.

LZMlav2.jpg

Once I get lunch, work a couple other projects, and the spirits dry, I'm thinking 3 coats of Tung oil will be really nice on these babies.

Any recommendations for treating/sealing/protecting the tang under the scales?
Coconut or Flaxseed oil? Tung oil? Automotive wax? Other?

Just make sjre the area you are gunna wax is completely clean from all hand oils or moisture before you wax. I clean it off with windex then rubbing alcohol if it is going to be steel I won’t typically have access to. (As in under the scales like yours). Just don’t touch the area you will wax with your bare hands after you clean it.

I have seen people put wax on without fully cleaning the steel and then the wax traps the moisture under the wax and against the steel.

Just make sjre the area you are gunna wax is completely clean from all hand oils or moisture before you wax. I clean it off with windex then rubbing alcohol if it is going to be steel I won’t typically have access to. (As in under the scales like yours). Just don’t touch the area you will wax with your bare hands after you clean it.

I have seen people put wax on without fully cleaning the steel and then the wax traps the moisture under the wax and against the steel.

We'll, I cleaned and polished, washed with dish soap, dried with a dish towel, compressed air, and time. Didn't touch it after the soap. Since I already did two coats of wax, I hope that's good enough!

I'll be sure to check it occasionally to make sure.

Smoothed with white scotch brite and put the second coat of Tung oil on the scales. Don't really look any different, so no new photo.
Put Watco Tung Finish on the underside for the 2nd coat. Thinking that's pretty much done.

Back