Tidying up the new -62.

A couple glamour poses, and the life it's mostly relegated to while I am at work, or trapped in the concrete jungle:

4j2i5gk.jpg

5VFisIi.jpg

FrDCCFX.jpg

HS3efDu.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the process as much as I did!
It feels amazing in the hand now.

A couple glamour poses, and the life it's mostly relegated to while I am at work, or trapped in the concrete jungle:

4j2i5gk.jpg

5VFisIi.jpg

FrDCCFX.jpg

HS3efDu.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the process as much as I did!
It feels amazing in the hand now.
That turned out Nice! Looks Great! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Now just keep it above water :D

would it be possible for one of you to maybe measure the thickness of the scales on these?
roughly, that is, I realize they are not uniform in thickness throughout.

Thanks

thank you

I think i have another question now, hah.

Is anyone worried about possible bacteria under the scales when using for food prep or game processing?
Seeing the first pics from the OP, it seems like moisture easily got under there.

Perhaps removing the scales after any food prep or game processing will be in order?

Any way to seal where the scales meet the tang? ( i know this will render the removable scales obsolete at that point.)

thank you

Is anyone worried about possible bacteria under the scales when using for food prep or game processing?
Seeing the first pics from the OP, it seems like moisture easily got under there.

Perhaps removing the scales after any food prep or game processing will be in order?

Any way to seal where the scales meet the tang? ( i know this will render the removable scales obsolete at that point.)
I treat mine with butcher block mineral oil with vitamin E. Vitamin E helps as a anti-bacterial

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 thats awesome.
you guys must be overrun with does. lol
I get 1 deer permit a year. If I dont get a buck during normal archery season, I can then choose to shoot a buck or a doe for the following months until that extended season for archers is over.
Id love to be able to fill the freezer like that. nice work

thank you

That's one of the benefits of removable scales at least you can remove em and de-funk when needed :D

Tanker 1/66 Tanker 1/66 thats awesome.
you guys must be overrun with does. lol
I get 1 deer permit a year. If I dont get a buck during normal archery season, I can then choose to shoot a buck or a doe for the following months until that extended season for archers is over.
Id love to be able to fill the freezer like that. nice work
My hunting zone issued 36,000 doe permits this year. Yes 36,000. Its dangerous just driving in my area.

I have a friend in Indiana who gets tags for 20+ anterless deer every season. Insane is right. He gifted me a Spyderco Delica years ago. I no longer have it. Too ugly.

:):):)

Really nice work....rather than neatsfoot I usually apply a good paste floor wax and using a hair dryer let it really soak in... gently does it though....been meaning to do this with straight up beeswax rather than the dunk method..that makes it “coir” or “cuir” which is what the used for ancient armor.... Makes it pretty stiff but damned durable....e

Really nice work....rather than neatsfoot I usually apply a good paste floor wax and using a hair dryer let it really soak in... gently does it though....been meaning to do this with straight up beeswax rather than the dunk method..that makes it “coir” or “cuir” which is what the used for ancient armor.... Makes it pretty stiff but damned durable....e

Thank you, Unlce E!
And thank you for taking the time to interpret Kephart's design into something we can all get our hands on.

I do have a beeswax/mineral oil mixture I concocted a couple years ago. In the cold, it's a solid. When warm, it goes on like a nice paste wax. I've used it on cutting boards and scales in the past, but never tried it on leather. (Still have a couple blocks of solid beeswax, too, but that stuff is really hard to work into anything.)

good to see you around E!
I use sno-seal on my leather (showes, boots, sheaths...) -- it's a really thick beeswax and oil paste, trowel it on and melt it in with a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on high, then buff with a soft cloth.

Back